New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lighting Setup Question

TSLA
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting Setup Question

I currently use three Canon 430ex speedlites. I plan to get an AlienBees B800 soon and use it as the key, one 430ex as fill and the other two 430exs as background lights and/or a hairlight, as needed. I plan to trigger the 430ex(s) with a Canon ST-E2, which will (the 430exs) trigger the B800.

My questions are: Will this setup be sufficient for groups of up to six people? Will there be a noticeable color temperature difference?

Jul 05, 2015 at 11:09 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting Setup Question

You should have ample light for 6 people. I'm assuming you'll use a sufficient softbox/modifier for the AB 800 and will be firing the fill light into a modifier as well. The AB800's are set for 5600K and the 430ex(s) are set for "mid-day", which is close, so I wouldn't expect any noticeable differences.

Since I shoot Nikon, I assume you'll have to use all your flashes in manual rather than TTL. Since it sounds like a studio environment that may not be a major problem.

I've used AB 400's, 800's and Einsteins with Nikon speedlights and no color issues.

Hope that helps,

Larry

Jul 06, 2015 at 04:09 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting Setup Question

You won't have any WB issues if you shoot a custom white balance first or use something like a Color Checker Passport (great investment). Otherwise you will have color temperature issues. The AB native color may be 5600 but that can vary considerably with power different power settings. Then, different light modifiers will affect temperature. Even speedlight temperatures can change but if you are using from for hair, etc. you may not notice it much. The only way to really control this is with a custom white balance. Shooting in RAW will make a big difference also.

Jul 06, 2015 at 04:38 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.