Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

With virtually 24 hours daylight I don't remember if the sun actually dipped below the horizon or not. However I do know it was one of the two most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen, and not only just during my 20 days in Iceland, grey skies or rain being the norm in that time !

I'd tried to plan my arrival at key sights on my tour around the country to coincide with what little potential for sunsets/sunrises there was. Well that went out of the window along with my route plan after 3 days but happily this was on Day 2.

The only major PP change made to the shot has been to globally push the shadows however this has had the effect of also lightening the deep blue of the sky. I may have to go back and adjust them separately. The golden glow was simply spectacular and amazing. This is the second shot I've processed my from trip and I'm hoping I can compile a 'Best of Icelandic Waterfalls' thread (not an original idea I know but as a relative newbie to landscape photography an exciting start for me) ! All C&C welcomed !

Jul 05, 2015 at 05:58 AM
scottiet
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Wonderful shot!

Jul 05, 2015 at 06:13 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

This is very dramatic and eye catching. Love it.

Jul 05, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Beautiful capture!

Jul 05, 2015 at 11:16 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Nicely done Frogfish. Wonderful light.

I tried to get this shot when I was there in May. Wind shifted, and suddenly I was in the waterfall instead of behind it. Got totally drenched in ice water, and no shot. .

Jul 05, 2015 at 11:53 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Hey Kevin,

This is pretty cool, a nice behind the water view. The sun is providing some nice color. As for the shadow recovery, you can do selective shadow recovery in ACR per color, that would be one option. But the best would to process it in Photoshop where layer masks make it so easy to isolate adjustments to specific areas.

So did the sun sit on the horizon for several hours? One thing I enjoyed in a trip to Alaska at the end of May one year was how the sunset literally lasted over an hour. It was a nice treat when I was used to sunsets being over often in just 2 or 3 minutes. To have it actually last for an hour allowed me the opportunity to get in multiple compositions in multiple locations of the same sunset. It seemed really cool.

Jim

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:29 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Well this was not fluke. I have often wanted a set to last longer. Great handling of a wonderful opportunity.

Love to see it printed large! One to be proud of.

J. R

Jul 05, 2015 at 02:29 PM
phoenix7gtm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Great shot! the visual impact of this composition is difficult to put in words. well done.

Jul 05, 2015 at 07:40 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Low golden light and water falls - 2 of my favorite elements. . . nicely exposed!
Dave

Jul 05, 2015 at 07:58 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Awesome shot Kevin .. hope to see more shots from your trip to Iceland

Ronny//

Jul 05, 2015 at 11:33 PM
xelas
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Sunsets provides for such unbeliveable colours! Great shot, Kevin! Looking forward to see your waterfalls. Alex

Jul 06, 2015 at 06:15 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

I love the different perspective you captured! We're so often trying to capture an exterior falls photo, but we seldom see the behind the curtain perspective. Thx!

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:13 AM
triggermike
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Beautiful composition and light. I would consider cloning out that small piece of fence on the ridge.

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:32 AM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Great shot... I bet all the tourist buses weren't there at sunset either.

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:52 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Thank you very much everyone for your lovely comments - very much appreciated !

Jul 06, 2015 at 12:47 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

1bwana1 wrote:
Nicely done Frogfish. Wonderful light.

I tried to get this shot when I was there in May. Wind shifted, and suddenly I was in the waterfall instead of behind it. Got totally drenched in ice water, and no shot. .

I certainly got wet - but not that wet ! Keeping the front element clear of spray was a challenge though - I don't know how many times I had to wipe it dry !

Jul 06, 2015 at 12:49 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

JimFox wrote:
Hey Kevin,

This is pretty cool, a nice behind the water view. The sun is providing some nice color. As for the shadow recovery, you can do selective shadow recovery in ACR per color, that would be one option. But the best would to process it in Photoshop where layer masks make it so easy to isolate adjustments to specific areas.

So did the sun sit on the horizon for several hours? One thing I enjoyed in a trip to Alaska at the end of May one year was how the sunset literally lasted over an hour. It was a nice treat
...Show more

Thanks Jim. I've been steadfast in my determination not to use PS but I guess I am coming around to the idea that in the end what I sometimes want to achieve can only be done in PS.

A quick check of my shots shows the sun was hanging there for at least 25 minutes, much longer than I've ever experienced before however nothing like an hour. I was able to get into 4 locations (front, rear and both sides from scrambling).

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:01 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

triggermike wrote:
Beautiful composition and light. I would consider cloning out that small piece of fence on the ridge.

Thanks Mike. I did consider that however I decided to leave it in to give a sense of scale. I wonder what others think ? I've also a shot with a person standing against that fence.

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:04 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

smmokan16 wrote:
Great shot... I bet all the tourist buses weren't there at sunset either.

Not a one. The beauty of hiring a car and going it alone, you make your own schedule.

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:05 PM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Icelandic Sunset - Sunrise Waterfall

Good to hear. I had the same experience with sunset at Kirkjufell last summer. Granted it was cold and raining, but I'll take what I can get.

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.