New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Help with Epson 4990

nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with Epson 4990

Hi guys,

I finally got my hands on the used Epson 4990 that I bought. I tried to scan some 35mm B&W negatives yesterday and the results were very poor. Also, I did not find the Epson software very easy to use. With the same 4 strips of 6 negatives each, the scanner detected a maximum of 22 frames (from a total of 24) and sometimes it detected even less than that. During the scan, it never managed to scan each frame at the highest resolution, doing only so for the very first frame.

Even the highest resolution scan I managed to get out of the Epson software was not good at all.

I tried VueScan but it did not recognise each frames on the strips and made some very strange scans.

If someone could help me out with this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

Here's the jpg from a 60MB tiff (Kentmere 100)

Jul 05, 2015 at 04:45 AM
mstrickland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with Epson 4990

I use a V800 and have great results with 35mm film and use nothing but their software. It's very basic, but it does the job well. I've noticed when you do the "pre-scan" a lot of the times you have to copy all of your settings to each individual frame. Depending on which software package you're using, there should be an option that'll apply it to everything for you.

Hope that helps.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.