FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mushroom Soup

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mushroom Soup

I have previously photographed Inkcap mushrooms in one of our compost bins and saw others developing recently, in another bin. So it was no surprise to find a perfect fruiting body. This lasts only for an hour or two so I grabbed my standard macro setup, with the Kiron 105mm and twin flash.

I assume that this was also Coprinopsis narcotica.

It is very difficult to position the twin-flash and camera, so I cannot always get the angle I want framed.

Anyway, I had taken a number of frames when, in the semi-darkness, I realised this fruit fly was on the very centre of the cap. At first I though it was stuck but it was able to move around and was there intentionally. I later saw that there was a second fruit fly at the edge of the cap.

Mushrooms expand to full size by pumping in water and I suppose some of it must leak, containing nutrients, but probably no sugar.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Jul 05, 2015 at 12:41 AM
Constable
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mushroom Soup

Very nice Harold. We have the fungus in the compost bin as well, but the present plague of drosophila makes it so unpleasant in there that i have not the patience to photograph them!

Just a thought about the lighting ... don't forget that some fungi are luminescent. It might be "interesting" to see what happens under a black light

Ed

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:09 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mushroom Soup

Good captures Harold
Brian v.

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:18 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mushroom Soup

Constable wrote:
Very nice Harold. We have the fungus in the compost bin as well, but the present plague of drosophila makes it so unpleasant in there that i have not the patience to photograph them!

Just a thought about the lighting ... don't forget that some fungi are luminescent. It might be "interesting" to see what happens under a black light

Ed

Thanks, Ed.

The luminescence is something I have never investigated, apart from one, fruitless, walk in the local wood after dark. I don't currently have a suitable lamp.

Harold

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:51 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mushroom Soup

LordV wrote:
Good captures Harold
Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

Something to watch out for in future. The compost where I previously found the mushrooms is selected to be coarser and drier so fruit flies may not thrive there.

Harold

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:54 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.