FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

I learned today that the D810 is no pro-body, the hard way. Eff.

Bride asked me, do you mind getting a little dirty and we all get closer to the water. Like IN the water? Oh sure why not. Random wave comes out of nowhere and splashes us all and I thought it was fine, shot with that body still a couple more minutes and then some weird dots came up I had never seen in a rectangular pattern. Now it no worky.

Ugh. I wonder how rough NPS is gonna give it to me.

Jul 05, 2015 at 12:13 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

TTLKurtis wrote:

Bride asked me, do you mind getting a little dirty and we all get closer to the water. Like IN the water? Oh sure why not. Random wave comes out of nowhere and splashes us all and I thought it was fine, shot with that body still a couple more minutes and then some weird dots came up I had never seen in a rectangular pattern. Now it no worky.

ouch... i hope the session payout at least covered the insurance deductible or the repair cost.

btw, did the lens survive? curious to know if water intrusion was through the lens or strictly through the body?

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:01 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

tntcorp wrote:
ouch... i hope the session payout at least covered the insurance deductible or the repair cost.

btw, did the lens survive? curious to know if water intrusion was through the lens or strictly through the body?

85 prime was fine. I suspect maybe water found its way in through the viewfinder or something. I mean it was wet but I've used a d800 in a torrential downpour no problem. I suspect sand/salt affected seals maybe.

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:26 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

Last time a girl asked me "do you mind getting a little dirty" I woke up alone in a strange hotel in the middle of the next afternoon with an empty wallet.... :-)

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:37 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

TTLKurtis wrote:

Quick question: Doesn't NPS offer all perils coverage? Sounds like damage was not caused by gross negligence, but by an accident while preforming your job.

Sam

Jul 05, 2015 at 11:52 AM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

TTLKurtis wrote:
85 prime was fine. I suspect maybe water found its way in through the viewfinder or something. I mean it was wet but I've used a d800 in a torrential downpour no problem. I suspect sand/salt affected seals maybe.

Salt water and fresh water are different beasts. A circuit might still operate with some fresh water but salt water and electricity make acid. Unfortunately it's going to be a nasty repair. Potentially a total write off.

Gordon

Jul 05, 2015 at 05:54 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

FLSTCSAM wrote:
Quick question: Doesn't NPS offer all perils coverage? Sounds like damage was not caused by gross negligence, but by an accident while preforming your job.

Sam

Guess we'll find out soon.

flash wrote:
Salt water and fresh water are different beasts. A circuit might still operate with some fresh water but salt water and electricity make acid. Unfortunately it's going to be a nasty repair. Potentially a total write off.

Gordon

Yeah I have so much faith in my gear that I literally didn't even pause to consider the consequences for a moment. I figured I'd just need to hose it off later to get the bits of sand/salt off the body. Really didn't see that rogue wave coming lol... really doesn't take much.

Jul 05, 2015 at 06:26 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

So I just filled out NPS Repair Request... it looks like since it is under warranty I may not be charged for liquid damage repair...? /fingers crossed

Also I'm wondering if the specific point of failure is the salt water that has clearly gotten on the hot-shoe... maybe that's the type of scenario when you're supposed to shoot with the little cover on it, and in rain etc?

Jul 05, 2015 at 06:41 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

I had a similar event happen with my D700. It had been in a lot of rain and inclement weather without any problems. While in mexico it got a splash of salt water on it and killed it instantly. They will not cover it under warranty when they open it up and see corrosion. If I recall I paid about $500 to repair the camera and lens.

Jul 06, 2015 at 07:18 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

eSchwab wrote:
I had a similar event happen with my D700. It had been in a lot of rain and inclement weather without any problems. While in mexico it got a splash of salt water on it and killed it instantly. They will not cover it under warranty when they open it up and see corrosion. If I recall I paid about $500 to repair the camera and lens.

That's not terrible for a camera and lens. Honestly I have a feeling the only corrosion will be on the hot shoe and one screw inside the battery compartment. It really didn't get THAT wet. And NPS is doing 20% off for NPS member repairs now so that will also help, and it's only the D810 body.

Jul 06, 2015 at 11:05 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

Paulthelefty wrote:
Last time a girl asked me "do you mind getting a little dirty" I woke up alone in a strange hotel in the middle of the next afternoon with an empty wallet.... :-)

Wasn't that the plot of the video game "Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards"?

Seriously, my heart sank when I thought about this opportunity turning into tragedy.

Jul 06, 2015 at 10:56 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

Would a D4s have withstood the events?

I'll be that much more careful if I ever bring my D810 to the beach. Yikes. Sucks for sure.

Jul 07, 2015 at 10:48 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

FrancisK7 wrote:
Would a D4s have withstood the events?

I'll be that much more careful if I ever bring my D810 to the beach. Yikes. Sucks for sure.

My immediate thought when it happened is the D4S wouldn't have flinched. But actually I think the same thing would have happened, because salt water touched areas such as the hot shoe and it immediately begins corroding and doing bad stuff. Even the clip on my money maker you can tell was hit with salt water and the surface isn't totally smooth anymore.

Jul 07, 2015 at 07:18 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ocean waves + Nikon D810 = No Bueno

NPS repair estimate: $276.80.

Not too bad, obviously free would have been even better... 😁

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:40 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.