FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · The dancing master

Constable
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The dancing master

Again, getting to grips with the 5DSR. No tubes, 100mm and cropping.

Ed

© Constable 2015

Jul 04, 2015 at 03:19 PM
Callahan

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The dancing master

Very nice. I think the 100L outperforms the MPE on this body. I'm very surprised how good 100% crops look. They beat the ones I've taken with the D800 + 105. The fine detail picture style works really well for jpegs.

It's a great macro camera, isn't it? *grin*

Jul 04, 2015 at 05:28 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The dancing master

Lovely capture.
You two will have to stop commenting how great the camera is, I've only just managed to convince myself I don't need one

Brian v.

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:20 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The dancing master

Ed,

It looks good. Was that about f11?

Harold

Jul 05, 2015 at 02:04 AM
Constable
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The dancing master

Brian, you probably do not need to worry. As Callahan indicated, it does not play so nicely with your weapon of choice, the MPE-65. I have been trying, but the MPE-65 becomes diffraction limited very quickly, which combines with the incredibly shallow depth of field to make stacking almost a necessity. And I have not mastered the art of getting multiple shots handheld that stack without horrid artefacts.

Harold, very close, actually f13. This is about one stop beyond where diffraction becomes noticeable but is still in an acceptable range.

Thanks for the comments

Ed

Jul 05, 2015 at 08:01 AM
Callahan

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The dancing master

For all the wonderful results we get with it, the MPE is not a high-resolution lens. 50.6 megapixels is overkill. I see more detail in the 5DS+MPE photos, but it's not sharp detail. I like the 6D and 70D better with the MPE. Cropped results from the 5DS+100L are very good. The 100-400 IS II works well for dragonflies & butterflies. I've yet to try the Sigma 180 OS with the 5DS...maybe this weekend.

Here's a link to Canon lenses suggested for the 5DS:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/06/canon-releases-recommended-lenses-for-eos-5ds-eos-5ds-r/

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:21 PM
Constable
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The dancing master

I tried the Sigma 180 OS with the 5DSR during the week. The results are very good but you are a long way from the action. Good for dragonflies and damselflies but not smaller. Also the usual sigma-canon glitches in AF if that is an issue. I used it with a top mounted 600EX and with a profoto B2 off camera.

Here is an example of a swallowtail caterpiller

Ed

Jul 05, 2015 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.