Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

In main I use center AF and recompose.
I seldom shoot sports. But I do People.

After 2.5 years of dreaming about and 1.5 years of using the camera:
Concerning me 6D is not only the best available DSLR for the buck. It is just the best on the market to cover my needs. I NEED high ISO (1600, 3200 and higher). 6Ds IQ here beats 5D III/1DX and all Nikons/Sonys I know (imo!). Center AF is best, too (at low light). It nails the shot when manual focus starts to become inpossible because of the light situation.

This camera has just to points I do not like: The missing Joystick (still after 1.5 years) and the reduced number of (guarantied) shutter cycles compared to 5D II/5D III.

I still would shoot the 5d II if shots at and about ISO 6.400 would not have been regulary destroyed by banding. That and AF was the cause why I graded "up" (yes, it is defenetly an upgrade) to 6D. I am happy about 5D IIs banding now. The 6D is the all better and more usefull camera at 40% off (when I purchased my 5D II).
The only cause to upgrade to 6D II in my case would be if Canon brings the joystick back (in my opinion the 6D is the real 5D II follow up.

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

RustyBug wrote:
I should add ... that was in the store lighting.

jcolwell wrote:
The 7DII has some kind of flourescent light coping mechanism, which the 6D doesn't have.

The 6D has the most sensitive centre-point AF in low light of all contemporary Canon DSLR (-3 EV).

johnctharp wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the 7D II inherited that as well as the 5Ds (R) cameras, but that'd be something to look up to be sure of.

Good point.

7DII yes (-3 EV to 18 EV, f/2.8 or faster on centre point only)

5DS/R no (-2 EV to 18 EV, f/2.8 or faster on centre point only)

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:39 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate the input. I confess my 5D is still better than i am, but the lack of MA is bugging me (as my 70-200mm backfocuses just enough to be a problem) and the AF tracking isn't quite good enough to follow junior on skis. If the 6D can address those two issues (which it looks like it can), and give me better low light performance, then it meets the grade.

Now i need to think about it carefully and do the sums, as the cost of the upgrade isn't trivial for me. I also tend not to chop and change as regularly as most people here, so i expect my next body to see me for several years. I might wait it out until the 6D mk2, just to see what it brings. Indeed, as i haven't got "permission" for the purchase yet, i might have no choice but to wait....

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

15Bit wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate the input. I confess my 5D is still better than i am, but the lack of MA is bugging me (as my 70-200mm backfocuses just enough to be a problem) and the AF tracking isn't quite good enough to follow junior on skis. If the 6D can address those two issues (which it looks like it can), and give me better low light performance, then it meets the grade.

Now i need to think about it carefully and do the sums, as the cost of the upgrade isn't trivial for me. I also tend
...Show more

There are certainly deals to be had for the 6D today, and they'll likely only get better as time goes on.

Also, I've had excellent results tracking with the 85/1.8 and aging 70-300 non-L using only the center point. If you can consign yourself to using center point only except for mostly static stuff in good light, you'll be fine.

Jul 06, 2015 at 02:21 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

dhphoto wrote:
but the body doesn't compare favourably with the 5D3 for build or features.

Aside from the favorable price compared to the 5d3, I actually wanted the smaller, lighter body. It's much more pleasant to travel with than my 1d3. The AF is adequate for most things, but I tried using it at a swim meet and it was horrific. Did OK for soccer though.

The battery life is pretty weak comparatively speaking, and I had no interest in a grip. The batteries are small and light enough to carry spares though.

The high ISO is handy, and in general, the files look great to me.

Jul 07, 2015 at 08:24 PM
tshore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

The 6D is a great camera. I also have a 7D and a 1D mk iv that I use for birds and sports, but the 6D IQ is outstanding and it is a wonderful walkaround all-purpose body. It is small, light, and just works. I find the 6D center AF point is actually better than the 1D mk iv for grabbing and holding focus on BIF against busy backgrounds, but I prefer the 1D for the higher frame rate and larger buffer. 6D is also great for low-lightwork, both for AF and low noise on high ISO settings.

Jul 07, 2015 at 08:40 PM
aeubank
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

johnctharp wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the 7D II inherited that as well as the 5Ds (R) cameras, but that'd be something to look up to be sure of.

The 7dII has a flicker warning system that is new to all EOS cameras and will probably move forward with some of the higher end cameras. It gives a warning if the light flickers in the viewfinder. You can turn on the coping mechanism in the menus and the system will partially delay the shutter release so you will get consistent exposures when you take a series of images.. The 1dx does not have this system.

I have the 7d2 and it works pretty good. Makes a difference if you're into burst shots..

Jul 08, 2015 at 03:38 PM
bboule
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

If you are on the fence and are wanting something that feels more like an upgrade just save the extra to get the 5D3.

I shot with a 5D for 7 years... I did OK with center-point + recompose + pray if using a larger aperture so on and so forth but it is still a hell of a lot more fun to shoot with the 5D3 and know you're going to nail 99% of the shots in decent light with almost any of the focus points and get really good results at f/1.2-f/2.0 even with some of the off center points in any light.

It was always super frustrating to try and focus on a static subject at say f/1.4 with the old 5D AF and it couldn't even consistently get that focus exactly right.

Regardless of which one you get you'll be pretty happy to have MFA and ecstatic to have the sensor cleaning.

Jul 08, 2015 at 04:03 PM
Nate71LB
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 6D limitations? Thinking to upgrade...

The only thing I do not like about my 6D is the non-center AF points.
The center AF point is magical and locks on quickly and accurately. All, the others, not nearly as quick, if they would lock on at all (speaking mostly indoors situations).

Jul 09, 2015 at 02:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.