FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Strobes or speed lights.

skasol
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strobes or speed lights.

What do you normally take to wedding day. Your speedlights, strobes (studio lights) or both? I normally take my canon 600's but just got an Einstein and thinking about bringing that along for my July weddings. Thoughts?

Jul 04, 2015 at 01:08 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strobes or speed lights.

Speed lights. Strobes are overkill for about 90% of the weddings today. Save them for the special needs.

Jul 04, 2015 at 01:53 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strobes or speed lights.

If it doesn't fit in my Airport Security 2, it doesn't come with me.

Jul 04, 2015 at 06:28 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strobes or speed lights.

It depends on lot on your style. If you like very 'lit' pictures outside, shot fast and light your receptions from scratch in big venues strobes may be a good option.

For me, even though I own a profoto acuteb2 600, it is speedlights all day. I am not make the flash invisible outside and like contrasty (dark with bare speedlight) reception pictures. The profoto gear gets used for fashion where I need the control of certain modifiers, bare bulb and fast recycle at higher power.

Jul 04, 2015 at 07:43 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strobes or speed lights.

Mark_L wrote:
It depends on lot on your style. If you like very 'lit' pictures outside, shot fast and light your receptions from scratch in big venues strobes may be a good option.

For me, even though I own a profoto acuteb2 600, it is speedlights all day. I am not make the flash invisible outside and like contrasty (dark with bare speedlight) reception pictures. The profoto gear gets used for fashion where I need the control of certain modifiers, bare bulb and fast recycle at higher power.

Thank you

Jul 04, 2015 at 09:16 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strobes or speed lights.

I use to take speedlights but was unhappy with the recycle time. I started using strobes but was unhappy with having to run power cords. Now I use Cheetah lights which give me the best of both but without power cords plus I have the ability to control each light from my transmitter.

Jul 04, 2015 at 09:18 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strobes or speed lights.

jcolman wrote:
I use to take speedlights but was unhappy with the recycle time. I started using strobes but was unhappy with having to run power cords. Now I use Cheetah lights which give me the best of both but without power cords plus I have the ability to control each light from my transmitter.

Which model.

Jul 04, 2015 at 01:10 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strobes or speed lights.

skasol wrote:
Which model.

I have three-180's and one-360.

Jul 04, 2015 at 01:19 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strobes or speed lights.

What mr Coolman said.

Plus some types of wedding coverage requires more lights.
Try 800 -1300 guest receptions.
......With good size dance floors too.

Yes you can roll with speed lights ....but morning ceremony plus night time reception is hard on the batteries.
Me likes the cheetah battery system. All day .... actually multi day on 1 charge.

-Mark

Jul 04, 2015 at 03:00 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Strobes or speed lights.

jcolman wrote:

I have a couple of 360's. How much smaller is the 180 head unit?

Gordon

Jul 04, 2015 at 06:18 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Strobes or speed lights.

jcolman wrote:

Thanks. May look into this system.

Jul 04, 2015 at 09:18 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Strobes or speed lights.

flash wrote:

Gordon

Where did you buy it from? Thanks for your help.

Jul 04, 2015 at 09:19 PM
CFreund

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Strobes or speed lights.

360s are the best. Speedlights don't have enough power to recycle quickly when used to light up venues. I only use speedlights on camera. Monolights are too heavy.
I used to have 4 Einsteins and 3 Vagabond Minis. They were so heavy, I couldn't carry them. I sold them and brought 3 Flashpoint Streak light 360s, same as the Cheetahlights, which are rebranded Godox lights, and I absolutely love them! I have the diffuser on the lights instead of the reflectors they come with and they light up the room beautifully.

Jul 04, 2015 at 11:14 PM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Strobes or speed lights.

CFreund wrote:
360s are the best. Speedlights don't have enough power to recycle quickly when used to light up venues. I only use speedlights on camera. Monolights are too heavy.
I used to have 4 Einsteins and 3 Vagabond Minis. They were so heavy, I couldn't carry them. I sold them and brought 3 Flashpoint Streak light 360s, same as the Cheetahlights, which are rebranded Godox lights, and I absolutely love them! I have the diffuser on the lights instead of the reflectors they come with and they light up the room beautifully.

Thank you

Jul 05, 2015 at 12:17 AM
CFreund

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Strobes or speed lights.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that one advantage of lighting with Einstein lights over 360s is that they recycle quicker at higher WS, so lower ISO can be used. When lighting up a venue with the Einstein's, with the lights set at 180-300 WS ( depending if I bounced the light or not) I used between 640-1000 ISO.
With the Streaklight 360s, to keep recycling quick, I keep them UNDER 1/2 power at approximately between 100-140ws, as 360s have total power of 307ws. With the 360s I don't bounce and the diffusers that are made for the 360s are great at diffusing the light without the need for bouncing. But I need to use between 1600-2500 ISO ( depending on the venue) because of the lower power. However, with modern FF cameras this is not a problem.

I use f8 aperture and 1/160 shutter speeds at receptions. You may not need the ISO levels I use if you shoot with a wider aperture.

Jul 05, 2015 at 07:15 AM
skasol
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Strobes or speed lights.

Thank you.

CFreund wrote:
I forgot to mention in my previous post that one advantage of lighting with Einstein lights over 360s is that they recycle quicker at higher WS, so lower ISO can be used. When lighting up a venue with the Einstein's, with the lights set at 180-300 WS ( depending if I bounced the light or not) I used between 640-1000 ISO.
With the Streaklight 360s, to keep recycling quick, I keep them UNDER 1/2 power at approximately between 100-140ws, as 360s have total power of 307ws. With the 360s I don't bounce and the diffusers that are made for the 360s
...Show more

Jul 05, 2015 at 10:30 AM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Strobes or speed lights.

skasol wrote:
Where did you buy it from? Thanks for your help.

I don't need a US warranty so I bought the Godox version from Asia.

Gordon

Jul 05, 2015 at 10:33 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Strobes or speed lights.

flash wrote:

Gordon

The 180's are maybe an inch or so in width smaller.

Jul 05, 2015 at 08:35 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Strobes or speed lights.

Two Alien Bees and a White Lightning...

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/Ken-Cravillion/Wedding%20Stuff/KEN11976_zpsas2mzfl9.jpg

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:22 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Strobes or speed lights.

Same:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/Ken-Cravillion/Wedding%20Stuff/CJ-0792_zpsfoilvbso.png

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:24 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.