Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · How much softer will the light be.....

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How much softer will the light be.....

With a 7 foot parabolic versus a 5 foot parabolic.....

Have a 5 footer thinking about getting a 7 footer.

Your thoughts.

Thanks.

Jul 03, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How much softer will the light be.....

Probably not much, 5ft is already huge.

Jul 03, 2015 at 01:44 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How much softer will the light be.....

As Mark says not much for single or two people. Unless you have to pull it back to shoot a group, then there may be some benefit. If anything I 'd get a silver 7' for more versatility.

Jul 03, 2015 at 02:11 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How much softer will the light be.....

Michael, to me your question is largely about the fall off. As noted, 5 is big... for large groups 7 could be advantageous but the crux of the matter is do you need even lighting from head to toe. If so, the bigger the better. But you might want to ask yourself if in post you apply vignetting. If so, you're reversing what you spent money on for the extra two feet.

That said, the difference between 5 and 7 is HUGE. If the whole ultra soft, light wrapping look is what you're after, you'll see a major difference if you go really large.

Lastly, some use their big modifiers as ultra white backdrops behind the subject and facing the lens. If that's your intention, go 9.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Chuck

Jul 07, 2015 at 05:11 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How much softer will the light be.....

Thanks Chuck. .....your post got me to go to check out with a Westcott 7 foot parabolic.....can't beat the price

nolaguy wrote:
Michael, to me your question is largely about the fall off. As noted, 5 is big... for large groups 7 could be advantageous but the crux of the matter is do you need even lighting from head to toe. If so, the bigger the better. But you might want to ask yourself if in post you apply vignetting. If so, you're reversing what you spent money on for the extra two feet.

That said, the difference between 5 and 7 is HUGE. If the whole ultra soft, light wrapping look is what you're after, you'll see a major difference if you
...Show more

Jul 07, 2015 at 10:56 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.