Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · worth it to upgrade to lightroom 6 on a mid 2014 macbook pro retina 15&q...

silvermesa1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · worth it to upgrade to lightroom 6 on a mid 2014 macbook pro retina 15"

I'm new to digital photography and just recently purchased a mid 2014 macbook pro retina 15", 2.5ghz, 512ssd, 750m mainly for photo editing. I purchased Lightroom 5 and elements 12 about 18 months ago and is unopened.

Since lightroom 6 has just been released, are the enhancements worth upgrading to it and selling the unopened software or should i stick with Lightroom 5 and elements 12 and use it for a year or two then upgrade?

I have never used photo editing software and not sure how each will react with the laptop I purchased.

Jul 03, 2015 at 10:06 AM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · worth it to upgrade to lightroom 6 on a mid 2014 macbook pro retina 15"

What camera are you using and do you shoot in RAW?

Jul 03, 2015 at 10:26 AM
silvermesa1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · worth it to upgrade to lightroom 6 on a mid 2014 macbook pro retina 15"

I have a Nikon D300 and shoot in raw. In the future, maybe a year or so from now i am considering upgrading to a preowned Nikon D810.

Jul 03, 2015 at 10:37 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · worth it to upgrade to lightroom 6 on a mid 2014 macbook pro retina 15"

there is a definate speed improvement between LR6 and LR5 . not just the GPU enhancement stuff (which is in develop only) but alround it just seems snappier .

But then you also have to ask yourself with your current gear does LR5 have a problem ?(I would think with 12mp files from the D300 the answer would be no ) .

LR6 has a couple of neat extra tools over LR5 so that may be worth it for you , but be aware that LR6 WONT get any future FEATURE updates that LRCC will do . the first of which is the DEHAZE tool (a3rd party work around is possible) which is pretty usefull .

I guess what im saying is I probably would not upgrade from LR5 to LR6 but I would consider the Adobe CC pack that gets you Photshop and LR in one pack .

Jul 03, 2015 at 11:25 AM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · worth it to upgrade to lightroom 6 on a mid 2014 macbook pro retina 15"

IMO, your main concern is if your RAW files will be supported. The D300 was supported years ago, so no problems there. The D810 RAW files were supported in ACR8.6/LR5.6, so you're good there as well.

As someone who has used both LR5 and LR6, it's my opinion that you have 2 options:

1.) Keep LR5 and don't spend anymore money.
2.) Upgrade to LRCC for $10/month.

If you're one that doesn't like the monthly subscription (which is perfectly fine, I'd rather this thread not turn into an argument like usual), then my recommendation is to keep LR5 instead of going with LR6. However, if you don't mind the idea of the subscription, then LRCC might be the way to go for the latest features/speed and you'll also get PSCC in with the package.

Jul 03, 2015 at 01:00 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · worth it to upgrade to lightroom 6 on a mid 2014 macbook pro retina 15"

Use LR5 and learn it well, by the time your ready for the upgrades over LR5, the price will drop.

In LR 6 you will be able to do pano's also merge images. Also what's a neat feature is the availability to use brushes when your using the Gradient and Radial filter. All advanced user techniques

Spend the funds and get George Jardines video's on the library and develop module.. If you do not setup your files correct from jump street, you'll have many hours, days, perhaps months, unraveling them

http://mulita.com/blog/

Jul 03, 2015 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.