New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

ontime
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

I can't tell if I'm going crazy or I just don't understand basic math. Here's the short story of what happened:

1. Took the following photograph using my Canon 6D: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtoyama/15656490535/in/dateposted-public/
2. Ordered a 12"x8" acrylic print of the photograph using a full-resolution JPEG of the file.
3. Print arrives, and roughly 10% of it is cropped from the top and bottom. To put it into context, the dark blue sign above the bright blue banner in the top-right of the image is not in the print, as well as the bottom part of the green sign at the bottom right - the lower white rectangle is mostly cut off.

Now, I'm pretty sure 3:2 == 12:8. Right? The 6D should print at 12"x8" without cropping, right?

I e-mailed their support folks and they are saying I should have expected the original image to be cropped when printed at 12"x8". I told them I was pretty sure the 6D's native aspect ratio should allow printing at 12"x8" and they replied with an explanation of how aspect ratio works. I'm not mad or anything because I assume they get this a lot, but I believe they are wrong.

I'm not ruling out user error here of course. I could have accidentally applied a crop on checkout, or maybe I screwed up on the final edit of the image prior to upload since I usually increase exposure and sharpening prior to printing.

Am I totally off here?

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:01 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

Did they put a border on it?

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:22 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

Nope, it's borderless.

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:40 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

Whenever I order a print, the order page shows me a default crop based on my print size and allows me to adjust the crop size and pan it around the image. If my image is 4x6, then the crop rectangle starts out being the entire image. If your print company can't do this for you, I'd look elsewhere next time.

David

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:45 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

dgdg wrote:
Whenever I order a print, the order page shows me a default crop based on my print size and allows me to adjust the crop size and pan it around the image. If my image is 4x6, then the crop rectangle starts out being the entire image. If your print company can't do this for you, I'd look elsewhere next time.

David

Yeah, this site does have that. And I recall the crop rectangle being the entire image. The print, however, was cropped when it arrived.

Jul 02, 2015 at 05:39 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

refund time!

Jul 02, 2015 at 06:47 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

Prints will basically always be cropped a tiny bit (you get hairlines otherwise), but what you're describing is beyond the realm of excessive.

Jul 02, 2015 at 07:39 PM
bobrcw

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

What are the dimensions of the delivered print?

Jul 02, 2015 at 08:56 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

bobrcw wrote:
What are the dimensions of the delivered print?

Really great question. I'll measure it when I get home. I didn't do this initially because I could verify the order was for a 12x8 on the order history page.

Anyways, in the thread I have open with support I've asserted that the file should have printed without significant cropping as 12"x8" matches the aspect ratio of the original file.

Thanks all for the help. I'm not mad or anything about the resultant print - I just want to be able to create more of these prints with some degree of confidence of the final output. If we get to the bottom of the problem, we can either fix the mistake (on my end or theirs) or I can try a different print company.

Jul 06, 2015 at 02:50 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

Well, they responded... and overall I'm pretty unhappy with their support folks.

Here's my latest response:
Thanks for the explanation. You cite print sizes such as "5x7, 8x10, 11x14 and 16x20" which do not match the aspect ratio of the Canon 6D's sensor output. If I had printed at any of those sizes I would have expected a crop.

The print I ordered is an 8x12 - the same aspect ratio the Canon 6D's 35mm sensor (2:3).

This is demonstrable by downloading the flickr image I linked in my first response and attempting to upsize it to a 12x8 inch print while maintaining the aspect ratio. I just did this in paint.net. If you force the image editor to
...Show more

And their response:
Hi! Yes, while you're going through the ordering process, you'll see where the cropping marks will fall as well as the Preview in the window in the upper left hand corner. It is always possible that these horizontal crop marks where moved and/or adjusted slightly off thus giving you this end result during this process.

I already know this. Am I asking too much by trying to confirm whether or not the overcropped print was my error or theirs? Should I just ask for a refund instead?

Jul 06, 2015 at 05:05 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

Can I know where you ordered this?

So I never order there.

Jul 07, 2015 at 07:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

Unless it's a huge and expensive order I'd just move on and find some lab with a clue.
Life is too short...

EBH

Jul 07, 2015 at 08:27 PM
bboule
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

Find someone else.. I had Bay Photo make a mistake like this and they gave me an extra $100 print free with no hassle.

It sure sounds like the lab's mistake.

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:29 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

EB-1 wrote:
Unless it's a huge and expensive order I'd just move on and find some lab with a clue.
Life is too short...

EBH

Yes indeed.

Jul 09, 2015 at 01:53 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

It sounds like a lot of hand-wringing over a fairly minor issue. Just go ahead and ask for a refund and see what they say. Either way, it doesn't seem like you should use the lab again. If their software is so wonky that you can accidentally crop off 10% from each side without realizing it, then maybe it's not a site you should be using. I'd also like to know what the site is.

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:22 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Am I high? 12"x8" print unexpectedly cropped

what lab is this? I have only used 3 - Millers, Aspen Creek and WCI - and WCI + Aspen are the same lab. I have had excellent results with both, however Millers caters more to the wedding/portrait folk. WCI/aspen creek have sales every weekend, so I usually go with them

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.