Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

A word of advice, if you'd be so kind...

I need to set up a new travel kit for myself. The idea is to get the best possible kit for those times when I can't or won't haul around a D810, lenses, flashes, and tripod. Emphasis is on high image quality, versatility, high ISO performance, and speed so I can shoot low light, landscape, stills and city life, and even some sports/aviation in relative comfort.

I would think that the three toughest requirements are speed, high IQ, and high ISO performance within a small-and-light package. I'm aware that this will be on the high side in terms of cost, but that's OK within reason. From what little I currently know of the non-Nikon alternatives, the likely answer is a M4/3 system; but I'm open to any and all ideas. Nothing is off the table.

What would you suggest?

Jul 02, 2015 at 10:42 AM
lexvo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

As an alternative to M4/3: Fujifilm. The new firmware is a big boost for the AF of the X-T1. Fuji has a great selection of small primes. And the 'kit' zoom 18-55 is relative small, has great image quality and is well build.
I take my X-T1 with the 27mm pancake lens everywhere as it makes a great compact setup.

My X-T1 plus 18-55, 14mm and 27mm all fit in a Lowepro Nova 140AW bag together with filters, spare battery and SD cards.

As for high ISO, in my opinion Fuji is better than M4/3; here the larger APS-C sensor really helps.

Jul 02, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

I didn't know there was an interchangeable-lens system with APS-C sensors at all -- I thought M4/3 was the largest-sensor ILC system short of a Nikon DX DSLR -- so thanks for that... yes, the larger sensor should be a significant advantage. I'll take a look at that as one option.

Jul 02, 2015 at 11:16 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

sony, panasonic, fuji, samsung... lots of options these days and you can't really go wrong with any of them, competition has been good for the consumer

But "the best"? thats difficult to answer... I think the conventional wisdom is that Sony is probably the best for IQ (and some very interesting AF implementations), Olympus for AF speed and variety of lenses, Samsung is good at everything really just not too many lenses available yet, panasonic for video (and all the m4:3 lenses) and fuji is mostly known for the old fashioned controls, good primes and good jpegs SOOC.

Jul 02, 2015 at 11:45 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:

I need to set up a new travel kit for myself. The idea is to get the best possible kit for those times when I can't or won't haul around a D810, lenses, flashes, and tripod. Emphasis is on high image quality, versatility, high ISO performance, and speed so I can shoot low light, landscape, stills and city life, and even some sports/aviation in relative comfort.

I would think that the three toughest requirements are speed, high IQ, and high ISO performance within a small-and-light package. I'm aware that this will be
...Show more

Price isn't a major factor, you say?

A7rII + 28mm f/2 or 35mm f/2.8, and perhaps 16-35
Leica Q

Jul 02, 2015 at 12:09 PM
stempsons
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Sony RX1 packs about the most punch per dollar (if buying used or refurbished) for a super compact kit. I believe it would handle all of your needs with the exception of sport/action shooting (slow auto focus).

Jul 02, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Ok, you are asking for a lot and I think you know that means you will have to make tradeoffs. So let me start by posing some questions and pointing you in different directions based on which way you would answer those questions.

First, do you want AF or could you be happy with MF? All other things being equal MF lenses are smaller because they don't have AF motors. If you want AF, there are still lots of options but it does present some clear limits. If you could be happy with MF, then you will have more options and in particular a Sony with a great FF sensor will be more possible.

Second, when you say speed do you want fast lenses for the shallow DOF they can create or do you mostly care about fast shutter speeds? If you want to have shallow DOF possibilities, then that will pull strongly toward FF cameras. If that isn't so important than to get small size then an APS-C solution or a m4/3rds solution may well be easier.

Third, high ISO capabilities is going to be generally related to sensor size. How important is having good high ISO versus having small lenses? If the best high ISO is more important than the smallest size then you will probably be better lean toward a FF camera, whereas if small size trumps high ISO capabilities you will probably lean toward a smaller sensor.

One general way to describe things right now is that a FF mirror less camera (such as the Sony A7 series) will get you a smaller package than you Nikon DSLR kit, and it will have tremendous high ISO and IQ, but it will be bigger than systems with a smaller sensor.

Micro 4/3rds in contrast will get you the smallest kit with still great IQ, not quite as good high ISO, but still an excellent system.

Fuji and Samsung will get you something in the middle. Not quite as small as m4/3rds and not quite as good high ISO as Sony, but a balance of size with high IS0.

With those questions and tradeoffs in mind let me propose 6 setups (one MF and one AF or each of the sensor sizes.

1) Full Frame and MF: Camera - Sony A7r (with Kolari vision mod to optimize the use of Leica M mount lenses) This is a 36mp sensor (pretty much the same one as the D800); Lenses: Leica M 21 f/3.4; Leica M 28mm f/2; Zeiss ZM 35 f/1.4; Leica M 50 f/1.4 ASPH (or if your pockets are deep enough and you want really fast the Leica 50mm f/0.95; it is bigger, of course but still fairly small for the aperture of the lens); Leica M 90mm f/2. You will still need a sports/aviation lens. That lens will be big, no getting around it. You best bet may will be the Canon FD 500mm f/4.5L, but it is pretty huge. But you may well want AF for this lens, then I would recommend the LAEA4 adapter and the Sony A mount 70-400 f/4-5.6. What you get here for a hefty price is small in size (but not ultra light because they are made of metal) but ultra high performing lenses with the Leica M lenses. This set up is quite costly but will do almost everything well. You will need a big lens for sports and aviation and it won't perform all that well on this camera. Ok, performance but other options will be better.

2) Full frame and AF: Camera Sony A7r II (will be out in a month or two you can order it now). This looks like a phenomenal camera with body base image stabilization, a brand new 42mp sensor, much improved AF, and other bells and whistles. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say the camera is probably better for high ISO and IQ than your Nikon 810, it should be at least a strong competitor. Lenses: Sony/Zeiss 16-35 f/4 for landscapes, Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2, Sony/Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 (for speed you could get the f/2.8 if you want tiny); Sony/Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8; for sports and aviation Canon 400 f/5.6L with the metabones IV adaptor (it looks like this camera will work with Canon lenses and the mentioned adapter with decent AF (if you prefer a zoom you could go with the new Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II or the Sony A mount 70-400 f/4-5.6 mentioned above (with this camera the Sony lens should AF quite a bit better with the camera's AF and the simpler LAEA3 adapter.

This solution delivers top IQ, and top high ISO performance, (it exudes high speed and high IQ), but it isn't as small as the other options.

3) m4/3rds MF option: Camera Olympus Em-5 II (but smaller cameras are available if you want to go smaller); Lenses: Samyang 10mm f/2.8, SLR magic 12mm f/1.6, Voigtlander 17.5 f/0.95, Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95; Voigtlander 42.5 f/0.95, and for the sports and aviation lens it probably makes sense to go with an AF lens, right now the best bet looks to me like the Olympus OM 40-150 f/2.8 with a 1.4 extender if needed. This is a very high quality lens, but it is not all that small.

4) m4/3rds with AF option: Camera Olympus Em-5 II; Lenses: Olympus 7-14 f/2.8, Olympus 12mm f/2; Panny/Leica 15mm f/1.7; Panny Leica 25mm f/1.4: Panny/Leica 42.5 f/1.2, and for sports and aviation the same Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 zoom.

5) Fuji with MF option: Camera - Fuji XT1 (but smaller cameras such as the XE 2 are available); Lenses: Samyang 12mm f/2; Samyang 16mm f/2; Leica M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH; Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4; Leica M 75mm f/2 AA (or the 75 f/1.4 if you want to optimize speed); If you wanted to go with a sports/aviation MF option the Canon FD 300 f/4L would be a good choice, but if you wanted AF the Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 OIS is probably your best option for now.

6) Fuji with AF option: Camera - Fuji XT1; Lenses: Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 or Fuji 14mm f/2.8 depending on focal length preference; Fuji 16mm f/1.4; Fuji 23mm f/1.4: Fuji 35mm f/1.4; Fuji 56mm f/1.2; Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 OIS is probably the best option for sports and aviation.

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:29 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Leica Q

Jul 02, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Wow, Steve, thank you! Much to chew on and think about in there, and I appreciate your effort and time.

With apologies because I should have mentioned it at first, MF is not my cup of tea at all: I only MF when I absolutely have to, and certainly not for city, people, sports, etc.

I'll take a look at the Sony A7r II, but that kit sounds like it would be a parallel system to my Nikon gear, and I don't think I want to go that route. First impression is that the Sony option is bigger and heavier than what I need to carry, plus it's too close in capability to my Nikon.

The Fuji and m4/3 options are more likely to hit close to the mark on the balance between size, weight, and capability. But I'll take a good look at all the options you've mentioned, because I'll learn something by doing so.

Thanks again.

Jul 02, 2015 at 04:02 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

D750 and a few of the f/1.8 primes? 300/4 PF and crop for sports/airplanes? Or a D7xxx instead of a D750?

The only way you can make a FF mirrorless system a smaller size alternative to typical DSLRs is if there are small lenses available. From Sony there are only a couple. Everything else is pretty much typical DSLR size. That's why manual focus prime lenses are the recommendation. Those listed by Steve are the top tier options, but there are others, either in rangefinder mount, or legacy manual focus glass. Manual focus with EVF is pretty quick and accurate if you use focusing aids such as focus peaking or magnification. But not always ideal for fluid situations.

Sensor format will strongly dictate overall system size. If small size is important, then I think m43 is what you want to look at. Some of the APS-C glass is fairly small, but if you look at many of the zooms, then not so much.

I would strongly recommend you go to a fully stocked camera store (maybe difficult to find nowadays) and try everything. See what is the most logical to use in respect to user interface and general handling. How much menu diving is needed for basic functions? Do the controls feel too small, too cramped, can you hold the camera comfortably? IMO this is one of the biggest challenges with very small cameras. They're almost too small for comfortable, intuitive use. Interface design will make or break whether a small camera is usable for you.

Maybe also consider 1" sensor cameras. There's Nikon's 1 system, which gets pretty good ratings for AF performance and responsiveness, though you'll have to determine if image quality is to your liking. Alternatively, there are some interesting 1" non-interchangeable lens cameras, such as the Sony RX10 (24-200 equivalent, f/2.8 constant) and the Panasonic FZ1000 (25-400mm equivalent f/2.8-4). I've used the RX10 (not the newly announced version) and it's surprisingly decent. It will never outperform FF or probably even APS-C when closely examined at the pixel level, but you really need to consider end use. During the RX10 trial period, I used it alongside a manual focus FF system and it worked quite well. It was actually one of the more fun Sony cameras I have used (I'm typically quite critical of Sony's interface design). The FZ1000 gives you more lens, but it's also a considerably larger package, similar to APS-C DSLR and tele zoom.

Jul 02, 2015 at 07:04 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Steve Spencer, always with the short and vague recommendations.

I'll comment on a few of the recommendations you've heard:

D750 - nah, not enough size difference to be worth the effort, if you ask me (and I'm a guy who does not care about size/weight at all, so you know I'm not just being dainty).

RX1 - I don't consider it a good value at all. It's easier to build than an A7 and a 35/2.8 FE for various reasons, and it lacks that combo's EVF, so it should cost less not more. Also the lack of an EVF is a huge disadvantage depending on what climate you're traveling to (I can tell you that an LCD is completely useless without a serious hood here in New Orleans, often even in Winter).

Nikon 1 - great at some things, particularly AF compared to most mirrorless systems. But it's not a low light camera which you say would be a problem for you.

Fuji - I have a natural inclination to hate them for the whole "I want to be a Leica M3 when I grow up" retro aesthetic (really, whole stop shutter speed dials in 2015? let it go, baby boomers), but I have to admit given their strong prime line-up this is probably your strongest option. Sony's A6000 has a better sensor and better AF than the Fuji's, but their lens lineup is wildly unimpressive.

Jul 03, 2015 at 01:55 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Sony APS-C is my choice. Fantastic image quality, very compact, and good lenses at the focal lengths I care about (50/1.8, 20/2.8).

Jul 03, 2015 at 06:43 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Lee Saxon wroteFuji - I have a natural inclination to hate them for the whole "I want to be a Leica M3 when I grow up" retro aesthetic (really, whole stop shutter speed dials in 2015? let it go, baby boomers), but I have to admit given their strong prime line-up this is probably your strongest option. Sony's A6000 has a better sensor and better AF than the Fuji's, but their lens lineup is wildly unimpressive.
Clearly, Fuji has a "I want to be a Contax when I grow up" aesthetic.
Thank God for that

No Leica M ever had autofocus.

Jul 03, 2015 at 07:03 AM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

I would personally go with an Olympus m4/3 system and native lenses as a light travel kit to complement Nikon FX. I've owned Fuji and Sony (E and FE) as well. I've also owned briefly owned Panasonic m4/3 but the lack of in-body stabilization (except the GX7) makes it less attractive to me.

For ISO performance, m4/3 is almost a stop behind APS-C and more than two stops behind FF, but if you're using a camera like the E-M5 II, the IBIS provides about 4.5 stops of stabilization. I could get cleaner handheld shots in low light (provided shutter speed was not an issue) using Olympus than my 6D or D610 without a stabilized lens. All of Fuji's primes and some of Sony's primes lack IS, and except for the Sony A7 II/A7r II, none of their bodies have IBIS.

I also think m4/3 is still the consistently fastest focusing system of the mirrorless world right now, assuming you're using the newer lenses with linear-drive motors. The Sony cams have gotten excellent in good light and are better at tracking AF in good light, but in low light they slow down dramatically and hunt more than I like. It looks like Fuji revamped their AF algorithms recently with the X-T10 and X-T1 v.4 (haven't used either), but in the past their AF was also lacking. I'd be interested to try one of these cameras to see how improved they are.

As for lenses I don't think you can go wrong with either Sony, Fuji, or m4/3 right now.

One downside of m4/3 is you do get noticeably less DOF control with the smaller format, especially on the wide end (can't throw backgrounds out of focus with a wide unless you are standing very close to your subject).

Jul 03, 2015 at 07:17 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:

I would think that the three toughest requirements are speed, high IQ, and high ISO performance within a small-and-light package. I'm aware that this will be
...Show more
Lots of good advice here already but I'm wondering if you've mentioned the lenses that you'll likely be buying? To me the labels typically associated with a certain system while usually accurate aren't particularly useful until you list the lenses that you'll need and only then can you really evaluate the weight and size differences for you.

Jul 03, 2015 at 11:31 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

I use A7 II and m43 at the same time, and used nex - apsc and Canon FF/crop. The key is the lens sizes. M43 gives me the smallest package with Panasonic gm5. It comes with silent e-shutter, fast af, and small evf. You can use 14-140mm as a full coverage with Olympus 9-18mm on the wide side or go with smaller & faster primes like Oly 12mm, Panasonic 14mm/15mm, Oly 25mm, Panasonic 42.5mm, Olympus 60mm macro, etc. APSC- nex, Fuji have one or two small pancake lenses to match these, not series of small primes... Also single af speed is pretty good to catch action, gm1 w/ Oly 25mm 1.8:

http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/image/157068173/original.jpg

Jul 03, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

You simply can't include avian in that list Rodolfo. Maybe picking up a used Nikon 1 to add to something like the new all bells n whistles Sony A7rII would get you close but BIF will always be an issue, as it often is even for DSLRs !

Just back from Iceland using mainly Nikon for both UWA, normal and birds (300/2.8+TCs) but also with Sony A7 as backup. I really neglected the Sony and should have used it much more than I did to save myself many of the hundreds of lens changes per day; fast, light, FF, excellent 28/2 & 55/1.8 native lenses and 49mm filter size means ultra cheap to add high quality filters (10 stop, grads and polariser) and a much lighter tripod as well as being easy to stash - I often kept mine in my stretch trouser pockets ! Jacket pocket at worst. Whenever I did use it I was never disappointed.

Jul 03, 2015 at 12:35 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

You're right, Frogfish... BIF would be hell on wheels with a smaller setup.

However, in my case "aviation" means airplanes, not birds. While aviation is one of the things I shoot most, it's something I would hardly shoot, if at all, while traveling. I would have perhaps been better advised not to mention it, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I tried to describe the need for fast AF and fast reaction time that leads to good "fast action" shooting. Sports (where I'm just a spectator), or the kind of street spectacle shown by serhan_ above, might have been far better examples to use for my "fast action" concept.

As for RobCD's question on lenses, I haven't said much because my thought pattern starts with a body and sensor, and then I look at lenses. Point about overall package size is well taken, of course. I can say that I generally prefer zooms for flexibility and for fewer lens changes, with a fast prime or two thrown in as good complements to improve low-light or shallow-DOF performance at certain focal lengths. I'll spec out an Olympus m4/3 system and post it here, to show how I usually think.

Thanks for all the comments, y'all... I'm learning, and you're making me think, and both of those are highly appreciated.

Jul 03, 2015 at 11:58 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

For me, a good travel kit is lightweight and minimal in size and complexity. For basic travel, it's a Fuji X-T1 with the 18-135 WR, and 10-24 f/4. Or if you really want to go minimal, the X100T, fixed at 23mm (35mm on an APC chip). I bring both (mine's the X100S). However, I do performing arts photography and travel at the same time, so low light and stand-off capability is critical. For that, I add the 16-55 f/2.8 and 40-150 f/2.8 zooms. For really low light, I have the 35 f/1.4. All of this fits in a Think Tank Airport Essentials bag that can go under the seat in a pinch.

Jul 04, 2015 at 12:32 AM
eezyshot

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Shopping help: best travel kit?

My regular kit is a Canon 5D3 and a 7Dii. I travel about 4 months a year and spend numerous weekends watching CNN in the hotel room. It was unimaginable to haul the Canon and the iPhone was not an option. I recently got myself a Fuji XT1, oh boy its a beauty. Small form factor, easy to pack, weather sealing and fantastic low light performance. The best part is the Jpeg files produced by the fuji system are far superior to any other system I have been exposed to. Connects to my iPhone and I am able to share pictures with friends and family instantly. I have to add that I was reluctant to get into a multi system kit, but the fuji guys make terrific lenses. And I am in a happy space...

Jul 04, 2015 at 01:20 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.