Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Possible to edit on an old SGI???

Aaron D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Possible to edit on an old SGI???

Today I scored an old Silicon Graphics Octane. Appears to be an r12000, single processor, ES graphics, and was upgraded to 1.5gb RAM.

Now, compared to a modern PC, its not as fast. But these were renowned for 2d processing. There's 1 or 2 (maybe 3) Linux distros that will run on this MIPS processor. But is there anything resembling Lightroom for Linux?

On a sidenote, I also scored a Dell PowerEdge 1800 dual Xeon server! Good day for this geek!

Jul 01, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Possible to edit on an old SGI???

I think there was a version of Ps 3.0 back in '95 or so written for SGI. Pretty ancient by today's standards.

Jul 01, 2015 at 10:42 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Possible to edit on an old SGI???

Peter Figen wrote:
I think there was a version of Ps 3.0 back in '95 or so written for SGI. Pretty ancient by today's standards.

That's not ancient...it's historical (or hysterical?)
It was v3 Ps, and didn't support ICC profiles. Im looking more for something along the lines of LR. I'm thinking my best bet is Linux. I highly doubt Irix would have anything to offer.

I'll probably part it out and do something cool with the case.

Jul 01, 2015 at 11:49 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Possible to edit on an old SGI???

You actually could use ICC profiles back then. We were using Radius PressView high end monitors that came with their own calibration pucks and generated an ICC monitor profile that could be loaded in your monitor preferences. ICC output profiles were pretty much limited to the ones you could get from Linocolor for different press outputs, but there was a convoluted way to load them and use them to convert from Monitor RGB to CMYK. Of course, not many people actually did that. Back then we just used Linocolor to convert to press output. Linocolor could only do Perceptual conversions, which was considered better and higher tech back then compared to Photoshop. For RGB working spaces and conversions we all had to wait for version 5.

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:14 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Possible to edit on an old SGI???

darktable

Jul 02, 2015 at 07:25 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Possible to edit on an old SGI???

Peter Figen wrote:
You actually could use ICC profiles back then. We were using Radius PressView high end monitors that came with their own calibration pucks and generated an ICC monitor profile that could be loaded in your monitor preferences. ICC output profiles were pretty much limited to the ones you could get from Linocolor for different press outputs, but there was a convoluted way to load them and use them to convert from Monitor RGB to CMYK. Of course, not many people actually did that. Back then we just used Linocolor to convert to press output. Linocolor could only do Perceptual
...Show more

This was on Irix? I was under the impression that Irix didn't support the ICC profiles, not necessarily Ps3.

howardm4 wrote:
darktable

Thank you! I actually googled for a Linux Lr equivalent, and have asked before, but have never been told/heard about Darktable. Will most definitely look into this.

Jul 02, 2015 at 09:31 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Possible to edit on an old SGI???

I think Im just going to try to get this up and running as a NAS RAID. Its small in size and I dont have a RAID setup (which I should). Its age and speed isnt conducive to photo editing, plus the trouble to get it to that point.

I'll finish building my other freebie PC specifically for editing. Either as Linux with Darktable or as a Hackintosh with LR.

Jul 02, 2015 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.