Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

golden1245
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

http://crashcoursephotography.com/sigma-85mm-review/

I posted this here because I was just wondering if I should openly criticize this lens' color quality on a photography review website. I personally was not a huge fan of this lens despite its sharpness and impressive build quality. I felt like the colors just weren't right compared to proprietary lenses I've used. It also suffers from mis-focusing at times.

Anyone else not love the Sigma 85mm f1.4 and prefer the Nikon and Canon counterparts? I ended up selling off the lens and I rarely do that...

Jul 01, 2015 at 07:56 PM
slee915
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

The review is right on. I ended up selling the sigma and bought the Canon 85mm L because of the orange/yellowish color cast that was hard to fix.

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:33 AM

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

WTF are you on about - the photos are excellent, and even your own conclusion isn't nearly as damning as you made it sound in the summary above.
I liked this lens when I tried it out and still kick myself for not buying it. In the very brief trial run it showed no obvious weaknesses.
P.S. Some way down into the review you mentioned a Sony Batis 85mm f/1.4. Well, the Batis isn't a Sony (only Sony E mount) and isn't f/1.4; and the Sony/Zeiss ZA Planar 85/1.4 doesn't have the bird name.

Jul 02, 2015 at 02:04 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

I bought it once and although I quite liked it, it had severe AF issues so I returned it.

The 85L II is a great lens, but AF is slow and bad in low light for me. Recently bought an 85 1.8 to see how that's doing.

Jul 02, 2015 at 03:32 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

evertdoorn wrote:
I bought it once and although I quite liked it, it had severe AF issues so I returned it.

The 85L II is a great lens, but AF is slow and bad in low light for me. Recently bought an 85 1.8 to see how that's doing.

+1. Same story here. These days, I prefer the 135 L, but when I need something wider, the 85 f/1.8 seems to do just fine for me.

Jul 02, 2015 at 06:05 AM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

I owned the 85 L and sigma at the same time, they both have their issues but at the end of the day I prefer the canon by far. The focus inconsistencies were the biggest issue for me.

Jul 02, 2015 at 05:10 PM
Harold St
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

Still one of my favorite lenses. I find the colors out of camera definitely a bit cooler than the Canon 85L but haven't really noticed difficult color casts or focus issues. I have owned multiple copies of the Canon 1.8 and to me this lens seems like a significant upgrade in terms of sharpness at wide apertures and contrast. Prior to owning this lens, I also owned multiple copies of the 85L and feel the Sigma has some advantages such as focus speed, cost, and a rear element that doesn't run flush against the lens mount. If the Sigma 85mm "Art" results in more expensive, longer, and heavier, I won't be buying it.

http://customphotocreations.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v83/p1296873215-4.jpg

Jul 02, 2015 at 05:35 PM
golden1245
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

wonderful photo Harold ST. The bokeh and sharpness of this lens when it does focus for me are absolutely incredible, your'e right.

Jul 02, 2015 at 09:45 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

The Sigma renders things a bit warmer than most L glass, that is true. I have not found it to destroy skin tones or anything though.

The Sigma is also completely usable for sports if you anticipate action well. The same cannot be said for the L. IMO it is a truly wonderful compromise between the L and 85 f/1.8.

Jul 03, 2015 at 08:18 AM

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

I hope to lay my grimy mitts on one of these Sigmas someday.......

Jul 03, 2015 at 09:04 AM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

I rented a Canon 85mm 1.8 while my Sigma 85mm 1.4 was in the shop, and was very happy to get my Sigma back.

Jul 06, 2015 at 11:48 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My review of the Sigma 85mm f1.4, in case anyone is looking for this lens

This is one of Sigma's 'near-Art' lenses from before their Global Vision crusade.

Hopefully, they'll keep the rendering while clearing up some of the LoCA and getting the focusing right for the Art version.

Jul 06, 2015 at 12:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.