Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Red Carpet

MajeedB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Red Carpet

A shot from the weekend at Mount Saint Helens.

This was a blend of 7 exposures for focus, 3 shots for dynamic range, 2 16mm horizontal shots stitched into a Pano to capture a larger angle of view. One shot was also taken at a longer focal length to capture detail in the moon.

Jul 01, 2015 at 12:53 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Red Carpet

Wow, you sure put a lot into that! And it shows: this is just a masterfully produced image, yet is doesn't look overdone. Simply beautiful results. Thanks for making it!

Dave

Jul 01, 2015 at 01:24 PM
Maritan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Red Carpet

Dang. That's a lot of work, but the results definitely paid off. Nice work.

I've tried doing similar stuff, but I lose track of which was which when I get home and look at the 8000 pictures a few days later.

Jul 01, 2015 at 01:55 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Red Carpet

Hi Majeed,

Flowers, volcano, light, and clouds are all fantastic. The only thing not doing it for me is the moon. It seems too big for the scene, but that might just be me.

Tim

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:59 PM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Red Carpet

A gorgeous photo!

Great depth and color!

Jul 01, 2015 at 04:24 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Red Carpet

Hey Majeed,

That's pretty cool with the wildflowers and also to be able to see the cone of Mt St Helens. But I agree with Tim, the moon doesn't feel natural at all. The lighting isn't right on it. It's too bright for one thing, and it just feels pasted in. I am guessing you made it larger to simulate what it looked like in person, but the processing is also off on it.

Jim

Jul 01, 2015 at 04:24 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Red Carpet

Ya had me 'til the moon. The addition of the moon (or at least the large scale of the moon) makes it look PSed IMO. Beautifully done otherwise.

Jack

Jul 01, 2015 at 07:11 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Red Carpet

Wonderful painterly image, so moon does not bother me. I am sure it will make very fine print.

Jul 01, 2015 at 10:39 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Red Carpet

It's totally masterful, except the moon. I think just removing it would enhance the image.

Jul 01, 2015 at 11:14 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Red Carpet

Stunning work Majeed. Was the moon actually there in the scene? If so I am fine with it there but I do feel it should be about 50% the size and the whites of the moon seem too bright. Smaller/less bright moon I think would really polish this one off. Right now, the moon is not working for me but a I love everything else. Great image!

Jul 02, 2015 at 12:46 PM
MajeedB
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Red Carpet

I kind of figured there would be some push-back regarding the moon and I've found that to be the case. The problem is, at 16mm, the moon is just a tiny spec, barely noticeable. I believe about 50mm is a good size to represent the moon. I decided to go a bit larger (100mm) to romanticize the scene. It was an artistic choice but it seems the prevailing opinion it is too big.

Yep, Scott, the moon was present. In the master file I will play with reducing the moon size about 50% and reduce brightness.

Re: Jim
The moon was shot about 2 minutes after the sky was shot, and it was part of the processing from the foundation of the file, so any color shifts in the sky/etc should have happened in the moon as well. I believe luminosity of the moon is a few points too bright, i agree, but as far as the lighting goes, that's exactly how it was lit at the scene.

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:49 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Red Carpet

So much to like about this image. I agree with the others about the moon. Once that is resolved this image will be almost perfect!

Like so many of your images, this one is fantastic. Great work Majeed!

Jul 02, 2015 at 06:13 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Red Carpet

Great results and planning

Morris

Jul 02, 2015 at 08:28 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Red Carpet

Majeed, when it comes to large moons, I think you get an entirely different perspective from photographers than general public. Its a great image, and the moon is just fine (a little over exposed) for general public. Photographers, of course naturally know thats an impossible shot.

My only critique is I wish the foreground was a touch brighter
always enjoy your work.

Jul 02, 2015 at 09:37 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Red Carpet

Timmeh wrote:
Hi Majeed,

Flowers, volcano, light, and clouds are all fantastic. The only thing not doing it for me is the moon. It seems too big for the scene, but that might just be me.

Tim

I simply love this shot but have to agree the moon is simply not to scale. Fantastic shot otherwise Majeed !

Jul 05, 2015 at 05:28 AM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Red Carpet

I've often posted images reflecting how I thought the scene should have looked so I understand your attempt.
Gorgeous image.

Jul 07, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Matt.burn
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Red Carpet

That's an amazing photo! Very well done.

Jul 07, 2015 at 11:27 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Red Carpet

MajeedB wrote:
I kind of figured there would be some push-back regarding the moon and I've found that to be the case. The problem is, at 16mm, the moon is just a tiny spec, barely noticeable. I believe about 50mm is a good size to represent the moon. I decided to go a bit larger (100mm) to romanticize the scene. It was an artistic choice but it seems the prevailing opinion it is too big.

"Romanticizing" is perfectly fine, and if you're hoping to get prints onto the walls of the masses, or make calendars or post cards, this image is stunning.

The issue is less about photographers just being jaded by seeing lots of 16mm images, and is more about honesty, disclosure, and "photography" versus "digital art" in society in general.

Enlarging the moon beyond just a few %, IMO, passes into the realm of a digital fabrication. In other words, with a moon this big I half expect to seek Kirk and Spock pointing Tricorders at these plants.

It can be called art, it can be called photographic art, but if it were me, I'd simply call it "digital art".

I'll just add this: The scene was gorgeously composed. The light was perfectly timed. The moon, in its 16mm glory, would have still been a nice touch. I guess in this day and age of online one-upmanship, stepping things up to a level of eye-popping incredibility is a great way to create an eye-grabbing image, or simply one that does justice to the breathtaking sight you actually beheld in real life. That's fine, but it's not necessarily what gets me excited...

=Matt=

Jul 08, 2015 at 12:25 AM
MajeedB
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Red Carpet

matthewsaville wrote:
"Romanticizing" is perfectly fine, and if you're hoping to get prints onto the walls of the masses, or make calendars or post cards, this image is stunning.

The issue is less about photographers just being jaded by seeing lots of 16mm images, and is more about honesty, disclosure, and "photography" versus "digital art" in society in general.

I disclosed that I shot the moon at a longer focal length everywhere I posted this shot, including here.

matthewsaville wrote

Enlarging the moon beyond just a few %, IMO, passes into the realm of a digital fabrication. In other words, with a moon this big I half expect to seek Kirk and Spock pointing Tricorders at these plants.

But what is a "Few %"? I mean, it's all relative. When you point a wide angle lens at a scene, things are gonna get really big in front of the lens, and really small at the furthest parts of the scene. So small, that in the RAW, the moon could've been mistaken for a smudge in the sky or a part of the cloud.

matthewsaville wrote

It can be called art, it can be called photographic art, but if it were me, I'd simply call it "digital art".

Yeah, I don't stake any claim to be a photo-journalist. But when I take liberties beyond normal, in post processing, I include that in the description.

matthewsaville wrote

I'll just add this: The scene was gorgeously composed. The light was perfectly timed. The moon, in its 16mm glory, would have still been a nice touch. I guess in this day and age of online one-upmanship, stepping things up to a level of eye-popping incredibility is a great way to create an eye-grabbing image, or simply one that does justice to the breathtaking sight you actually beheld in real life. That's fine, but it's not necessarily what gets me excited...

=Matt=

I don't think for me this has anything to do with one-upmanship, but representing the way I saw and experienced the scene. The moon was a big part of this scene, in person, but that was just entirely lost at 16mm. I've mentioned earlier in the thread that we "see" at about 50mm. So realistically, the moon could be half the size here and perhaps a few points dimmer-- but even with a more conservative focal length blend like that, people are very used to seeing what the moon looks like at 16mm. It's simply not how the moon looks in a landscape, to me.

Jul 08, 2015 at 12:33 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Red Carpet

Moon aside, this is a nice scene. I think the sky is too contrasty and the foreground needs brightening.

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.