New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Some opinions please

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some opinions please

I catch this place on the way home from another place so its hard to arrive at golden hour. Plus the water level is now too low, But next year I may go during spring runoff and arrive for better light. But now I want to get some composition ideas.

The first shot shows the large scene, and note that blown down tree over the water. So I got as low as possible and as close as possible and went to 70mm my longest focal length at hand to isolate the falls and get under that blow down. Second shot.

Any ideas for further cropping? Or is this not worth it?

big picture

tighter scene

Jul 01, 2015 at 10:21 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some opinions please

Ben, are you looking for just comp ideas here or everything?

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 01, 2015 at 11:23 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some opinions please

beavens wrote:
Ben, are you looking for just comp ideas here or everything?

Cheers,

Jeff

Everything. Can't do anything about the time of day or season, but anything in the processing and crop would be welcome.

Yes, I just did a quick single shot process here just to show the scene. I also like the wider scene if it were not for that blow down tree.

I will be back up here in a couple weeks, but the water will probably be even lower. Still it does not matter as much in this view. But I need to be there when it is in some kind of shade.

Edited on Jul 01, 2015 at 01:07 PM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2015 at 11:58 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some opinions please

I like the wider scene, but the trees and sky are so bright they detract from the waterfall. If you are still bracketing or doing hdr processing that should be a quick fix.

Jul 01, 2015 at 12:53 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some opinions please

Another vote for the wider shot. Hopefully when you return in the spring to capture your "real" image that fallen tree will be gone. Either by nature or someone with a hand saw.

Considering this shot was taken late morning, I would imaging an early Golden hour shot would look fantastic with the light on those big pines in the BG.

When you go back in the spring to shoot this, is there any chance to get into the water and shoot slightly more upstream? You might not need to though now that I think about it because you'll have much more water flow. While setting up on your next shot keep your eye on the water flow and maybe try to use it such that it creates a visual line to draw the viewers eye up and into the scene much like you have in your first test image. The second one feels awkward partly because of the "flow line" shooting off to the left side.

Looks like that new body is treating you well Ben! I'm jealous.

Dave

Jul 01, 2015 at 01:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some opinions please

Camperjim wrote:
I like the wider scene, but the trees and sky are so bright they detract from the waterfall. If you are still bracketing or doing hdr processing that should be a quick fix.

I did not bother to HDR the wider scene, I will return for better light. This is a two hour drive, so not a problem but they don't open the road until Early June.

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:54 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some opinions please

lighthound wrote:
Another vote for the wider shot. Hopefully when you return in the spring to capture your "real" image that fallen tree will be gone. Either by nature or someone with a hand saw.

Considering this shot was taken late morning, I would imaging an early Golden hour shot would look fantastic with the light on those big pines in the BG.

When you go back in the spring to shoot this, is there any chance to get into the water and shoot slightly more upstream? You might not need to though now that I think about it because you'll have
...Show more

That tree will be there for years, but with dead needles next time. There are actually a whole series of these cascades, many I have shown in other years, but this should show why I can't get in the water.

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:59 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some opinions please

Maybe crop a little off the top of the first to add more emphasis on the water.

Hard for me to comment much about waterfalls. I find it enormously difficult to photograph waterfalls in still images that even remotely portray what the original scene felt like. It's frustrating to try and rise above good ordinary depictions, no matter how technically well done. Maybe special golden hour light might sometimes do the trick. There are many waterfalls not too far from where I live, but each is a hike and I don't find the results satisfying enough to justify the effort and risks. Hmmm. I wonder whether I'd have better luck with video.

Jul 01, 2015 at 05:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some opinions please

You are correct, there are probably a million places around the world with waterfalls and these are really just cascades. There are many far more spectacular. These cascades will need some really special light to make them stand out and I go often enough to make that a possibility. So I am simply working out the best scene when that happens.

A crop off the top of the first would be my first choice too. I guess I am the only one bothered by the down tree.

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:45 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.