New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Donzo98
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

The spot to the left of the theater is in all pics recently...

This was shot at F4... 300MM lens with a slight crop.

I used the sensor clean.... but no real change...

I thought sensor dust didn't show unless you were shooting at smaller apertures.

Edited on Jul 13, 2015 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:58 AM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Very likely dust or lubricant droplet either on sensor or on mirror.

Jul 01, 2015 at 07:06 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Some dust comes off easily, other oils or dust particles are stubborn or you miss it.

That can be cleaned.

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:03 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Exactly the expected appearance for something on the sensor

Time for a wet clean.

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

then yours is a fair sized piece. have you tried a blower with the body pointed lens mount down blower up?

Jul 01, 2015 at 10:09 AM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

sjms wrote:
then yours is a fair sized piece. have you tried a blower with the body pointed lens mount down blower up?

Had the sensor cleaned today... and it's still there!!!!!

Interesting that I can't see it at 1.4... but at F4 I can. I guess f4 is stopped down enough to see it.

Taking it to Nikon next week...

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:03 PM
falconbach
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Have you tried another lens? If the spot disappears then it could be dust (or other dirt) on the rear of the lens.

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

falconbach wrote:
Have you tried another lens? If the spot disappears then it could be dust (or other dirt) on the rear of the lens.

Yes... tried several lenses. It's the body...

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

the prism/focus screen area

Jul 01, 2015 at 09:43 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

I've personally had real buggers like this to remove. I question the person who would have cleaned this KNOWING it was there to begin with.

I find it hard to understand that a chunk of this size (as it's seen @ f/4) would be huge and sharp at say f/16 or f/22, can't visualize this. It would almost be better to have an image shot AT f/16 or so to try and determine the nature of it, the size, and the orientation to the plane of the FF filter.

Nothing in the screen area or prism is seen on the sensor image. Aggravating to us? Yes.

Jul 01, 2015 at 09:52 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

I had one like that on the sensor of my old D800e once. All normal cleaning would not remove it. I finally got pretty aggressive and used more Eclipse than normal, and carefully rubbed and rubbed. it finally disappeared. It wasn't dust, wasn't oil, it was something else. I had visions of having the sensor replaced. All kinds of goo can get in there. I've had gnats get in too.

Jul 01, 2015 at 10:47 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Same question, so I'll latch onto this thread. It happens with any lens on my new-to-me D600, but I cannot see anything on the sensor at all. Is that normal for this problem? The spots are pretty visible in the photo though. They seem to form a regular line.

Jul 03, 2015 at 10:29 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Yep.
Not uncommon for that small amount of dust shooting at f/16 however.

I've had bodies that needed cleaning weekly, like my old D700. Others seem to avoid dust somehow and need only a rare cleaning.

I've said this before, but when using a Giotto's Rocket blower or other brand, sometimes they end up pushing more dust onto the sensor than you started with. They get old, and start breaking down inside, or they just suck dust in through their valve. The can be taken apart and cleaned by soaking and aggressively squeezing the bulb while submerges in a sink of mild dish soap water. Then re-submerge, and repeat with clean water. Then let dry out in a sunny spot for a couple days.

Or, just buy a new one...

Jul 03, 2015 at 10:31 AM
eltano
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

I understand your frustration, because its happening to my D7K, after a 3 weeks vacation and more than 2500 pics (I cleaned it before leaving, so I have no idea how it got so dirty), I have many with those spots.

I expend my last 2 Hrs cleaning and taking pics, and still I'm not 100% happy with it.

It does shows at small apertures, depending what lenses I'm using, but a real PITA.

What you guys are using to clean it to satisfaction?

Sorry for jumping on your post Donzo98, hopefully you and me will find a solution to this.

Best regards

Eltano

Jul 03, 2015 at 06:18 PM
twistys4me
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

I use the The basic "Copperhill" method kit plus the SensorView. Works great on my oil flinging D600.

Jul 03, 2015 at 06:37 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Though it is very rare on Nikon cameras, the possibility exists that it is foreign material behind the cover glass of the sensor. If you have a stereo microscope you can check for this. I just recently found a couple of chunks below my Fujifilm XE1 sensor glass, but I wasn't surprised(relatively cheap camera).

Jul 04, 2015 at 12:28 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

I did a wet clean and it had no effect. Can anybody tell me the turn-around time for Nikon to replace the shutter on the D600?

Jul 04, 2015 at 10:38 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Here's the truth on cleaning. The first often doesn't do it. Nor the second. Or it just moves the dust around to different locations.

Take an image prior to cleaning, clean, take another, then compare the locations of the spots.

Cleaning is easy once you develop skills, but the learning curve is a little steep.

Jul 04, 2015 at 11:04 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

All of my past wet cleans worked the first time. Guess I will enroll in youTube university :-) Really I bought the D600 knowing Nikon would send me a D610 if necessary, or clean it for free for life. I see this as a side benefit not a big problem.

Jul 04, 2015 at 11:18 AM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is this sensor dust?? UPDATED 7/13

Here is how it looks now... F4 52mm.

Can you guys see it still... it's faint... but there.

Jul 04, 2015 at 01:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.