New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Japanese to english translation by google. Direct link at bottom of this post.

[Phenomenon]

When you press the Live View shooting button on the camera, images are and then stops the operation without being displayed on the rear monitor.

[Update products and serial number]

Current models
17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM No. 12651501 later
18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM No. 13044001 and later
APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM No. 12713001 and later
APO 50- 500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM No. 12902001 later
120-300Mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports No. 50064494 ~ 50347793
APO 150-500Mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM No. 12669751 and later old model 17-70mm F2. 8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM No. 12665001 later 18-200mm F3.5-6.3ⅡDC OS HSM No. 12851001 later 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM No. 12656101 and later APO 50-150mmF2.8 EX DC OS HSM No. 12839001 and later APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM No. 12676440 and later APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM No. 12971601 or later ※ due custody past of repair you, and serial number other than the above also there is the case that the target of the product. EOS 5Ds / EOS wearing the object lens to 5DsR Press the "Live View shooting button", you will need to update if the image on the back of the monitor camera is not displayed. ※ DC Series does not become a "full-size" in and "1.3 times crop" use for the image circle to match the imaging element of the APS-C size equivalent. ※ other than the above products and already EOS 8000D and Live View shooting function corresponding updates already products of EOS Kiss X8i, corresponding already of products shipped from us on or after May 11, 2015 does not need to be updated.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/new/new_topic.php?id=842

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:28 AM
fraga
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Thanks for the update.

Jul 01, 2015 at 04:08 AM

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Tamron, then Sigma... I wonder if Canon is doing this consciously?

Jul 01, 2015 at 09:27 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Snopchenko wrote:

No, welcome to the world of third party lenses. Canon changes AF, third party lens manufactures need to catch up. Zeiss doesn't have to worry.

Looking at the list, my Sigma 50A is not affected.....

Jul 01, 2015 at 09:38 AM

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

mogud wrote:
No, welcome to the world of third party lenses. Canon changes AF, third party lens manufactures need to catch up. Zeiss doesn't have to worry.

I've been using Sigma lenses (and some Tokinas sometime) for years and never had any issues. Guess I'll just have to refrain from buying new Canon bodies.

Jul 01, 2015 at 11:19 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Snopchenko wrote:

Nope... just more incompetent reverse-engineering from the third-party lens makers.

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Snopchenko wrote:

mogud wrote:

Snopchenko wrote:
I've been using Sigma lenses (and some Tokinas sometime) for years and never had any issues. Guess I'll just have to refrain from buying new Canon bodies.

It's been a problem for a decade. Don't you remember that many old Sigma lenses would not work on the early EOS digital bodies? At any stopped down aperture the power drain was excessive and they would trigger an error.

EBH

EBH

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:19 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Hmm, I have read that Sigma does not pay to license the EOS / EF mount that Canon developed, but other manufacturers do.

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:33 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Monito wrote:
Hmm, I have read that Sigma does not pay to license the EOS / EF mount that Canon developed, but other manufacturers do.

I think Sigma would pay if Canon would sell the technology but why would Canon want/need to sell.

Jul 01, 2015 at 07:29 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

mogud wrote:
I think Sigma would pay if Canon would sell the technology but why would Canon want/need to sell.

Canon does not sell the technology to anyone.

Canon licenses it to third party lens makers like Tokina, as far as I know. I think this means that they get cooperation from Canon and vice versa.

When a third party maker does not license the mount technology, then Canon does not have to talk to them about forward / backward compatibility issues or make engineering adjustments to maintain that compatibility. I think this is Sigma's problem. When the mount technology is not licensed from Canon there is no communication and Canon would not know how changes in camera engineering from one model to the next might or might not affect the third party manufacturer.

Jul 01, 2015 at 07:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Can the firmware update be done with the dock? At least the easy ability to update the lens would make the incompatibilities less painful.

EBH

Jul 01, 2015 at 07:55 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

EB-1 wrote:
Can the firmware update be done with the dock? At least the easy ability to update the lens would make the incompatibilities less painful.

EBH

This is the reason why I bought the Sigma dock so that I can update the firmware of my 50A.

Jul 01, 2015 at 09:45 PM

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

I have and older (pre-DG) Sigma and it works fine. If Canon changes anything in the protocol, wouldn't this trigger an incompatibility with their own older lenses - unless there's a secret workaround is built into all of them (which is a little difficult to believe)?
EB-1 wrote:
It's been a problem for a decade. Don't you remember that many old Sigma lenses would not work on the early EOS digital bodies? At any stopped down aperture the power drain was excessive and they would trigger an error.

EBH

EBH

Jul 02, 2015 at 02:22 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Snopchenko wrote:
I have and older (pre-DG) Sigma and it works fine. If Canon changes anything in the protocol, wouldn't this trigger an incompatibility with their own older lenses - unless there's a secret workaround is built into all of them (which is a little difficult to believe)?

No, that's exactly what's done when designing protocols. It's called "protocol negotiation". There'll be bits, or some data field, or some exchange of messages which boil down to each device telling the other what it can do, and the two agreeing on a common subset. In particular, if a command from the camera includes some unexpected value, the lens should fall back to a behaviour documented in the protocol and not get confused. Canon will have set all this out back in the 1980s and it will be there to read by anyone now designing the lens - even at Canon, there may be no-one there any more who worked on the original protocol.

Another trick that can be used is to assign meaning to timing. If the lens comes back within so many milliseconds, it must be a new lens, because Canon knows how fast all their old ones are. This is a way to add negotiation to a protocol which was originally designed without one - if the lens comes back faster than any old lens, you know you can assume some newer version of the protocol. Meanwhile, a third party lens manufacturer analysed the protocol way back when, stuffs in a faster CPU, and suddenly it doesn't work when newer bodies start making this assumption.

Jul 02, 2015 at 03:12 AM

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma Advisory for Canon 5Ds/5DsR

Melcat, thanks for the explanation!

Jul 02, 2015 at 03:32 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.