FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Old Grove redwood

dalite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Grove redwood

A friend and I had a poor day birding (plus, the temperature was 102F today) so we retreated to an old redwood grove which was purchased by Landpaths, a non-profit conservation organization near the Sonoma coast. It was dry but delightfully cooler in the cathedral recesses of the dark grove. The bark of some of these trees are at least 15 inches thick, and the trunk of largest specimen tree would take the outstretched linked arms of at least ten men to circumscribe the base.

I like the play of light on the ferns as contrasted with the darker redwood trees. A tripod would have helped me to stop down for more depth of field.

Jul 01, 2015 at 12:03 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Grove redwood

Now this looks a lot more interesting to me than a bunch of birds, so good choice!

I like what you were going for, but the ferns are too hot for me and too much detail has been lost in them. That's a really hard condition to be shooting in with spotlighting in a forest. That's too bad you didn't have a tripod, don't you use one for shooting birds? For me, if you selected the highlights in the ferns and changed the white level from 255 to say 235 or 240 and then added a slight green tint to it, I think the shot would look better and have that lit up fern feel. Ideally you would have had a tripod and bracketed for the highlights, but perhaps my idea would work instead?

Jim

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:24 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Grove redwood

Did PP in Lightroom and tried to reduce Highlights and white level drastically. Maybe PSE might help. Thanks for the recommendation. Softer lighting would have been preferable, perhaps another time of the year.

Jul 01, 2015 at 04:31 PM
philkvt
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Grove redwood

The burned out highlights of the ferns is a problem.

But the OOF of the trees in the background seems like a good choice to me. It makes my eye focus on the principal tree in the foreground, which is what your image is about.....

- Phil

Jul 02, 2015 at 04:13 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.