New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Fire on the Water

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fire on the Water

Dialed back on the saturation, but those oranges are still pretty intense. Pull back more?

Jeff

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fire on the Water

Just amazing, must have had some overcast to get a sharply defined sun when shooting directly into it and still have the rest of the image showing detail.

I would not dial anything down. I might crop just at the notch in the bridge on the left. Makes a nice truncation point. Well done.

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:41 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fire on the Water

ben egbert wrote:
Just amazing, must have had some overcast to get a sharply defined sun when shooting directly into it and still have the rest of the image showing detail.

I would not dial anything down. I might crop just at the notch in the bridge on the left. Makes a nice truncation point. Well done.

Thanks Ben! Definitely was working with some haze or SOMETHING to keep the sun from blowing everything out.

Something like this?

Jeff

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:45 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fire on the Water

I think Ben's crop suggestion is a good one.
No problem with the oranges. If I was going to tweak the colors I would dial back the yellows. I think you could even intensify the sky saturation.
Scott

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:53 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fire on the Water

sbeme wrote:
I think Ben's crop suggestion is a good one.
No problem with the oranges. If I was going to tweak the colors I would dial back the yellows. I think you could even intensify the sky saturation.
Scott

Thanks for the feedback, Scott! Sky is pushed a little already - I'll tweak with some selections when I get home from work.

Jeff

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:55 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fire on the Water

beavens wrote:
Thanks Ben! Definitely was working with some haze or SOMETHING to keep the sun from blowing everything out.

Something like this?

Jeff

Yep, I like this better, It was just a nit, but I think it helps.

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:58 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fire on the Water

ben egbert wrote:
Yep, I like this better, It was just a nit, but I think it helps.

I agree with you and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I see little parts like that and think the lines coming out of edge work, but it's not until someone has me thinking a little differently that I realize the error.

Thanks Ben!

Jul 01, 2015 at 09:00 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fire on the Water

Nice capture Jeff! I also like Ben's crop suggestion and your edit. I also agree with Scott on pushing the sky more to help balance the rich colors you have in the water and then dial back just a smidgen of the yellow on the water.

What is the critter in the scene? It's a bit of a distraction but it's too large to try to clone out me thinks?

Jul 01, 2015 at 09:25 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fire on the Water

lighthound wrote:
Nice capture Jeff! I also like Ben's crop suggestion and your edit. I also agree with Scott on pushing the sky more to help balance the rich colors you have in the water and then dial back just a smidgen of the yellow on the water.

What is the critter in the scene? It's a bit of a distraction but it's too large to try to clone out me thinks?

Thank you Dave!

I believe it's a buffalo, but I was never sure to be honest.

He's a mystery for the viewer to interpret.

Jul 01, 2015 at 09:29 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fire on the Water

Actually I was thinking the same thing. It held my attention longer trying to figure it out so maybe it's not a bad thing after all.

Jul 01, 2015 at 10:08 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fire on the Water

I would bet this scene had a lot more color than was captured by the camera. How about this interpretation?

Jul 01, 2015 at 01:13 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fire on the Water

Camperjim wrote:
I would bet this scene had a lot more color than was captured by the camera. How about this interpretation?

You're almost certainly betting right - your rendition is much closer to what I actually saw.

I'll definitely have to address the sky after seeing the rework.

Thanks Jim!

Jeff

Jul 01, 2015 at 01:24 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fire on the Water

Camperjim wrote:

Good rework Jim. I need three RAW images to get this sort of result.

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:51 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fire on the Water

ben egbert wrote:
Good rework Jim. I need three RAW images to get this sort of result.

No kidding!

Jim - mind sharing the process? I can only pull out 1/3 the color.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:43 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fire on the Water

Since this was already a downsized jpeg, I just gave it a 2 minute quick stab. Adding saturation helped a bit. I also darkened the image using levels. Then I painted in some color. I make a quick select for the sky. I then picked the most saturated sky color, went even more saturated with the color picker and painted in at about 2% opacity. I also painted in a little gold/yellow color. Then I upped the saturation a second time. Not very elegant but enough to indicate a processing direction.

Jul 01, 2015 at 04:43 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fire on the Water

Camperjim wrote:
Since this was already a downsized jpeg, I just gave it a 2 minute quick stab. Adding saturation helped a bit. I also darkened the image using levels. Then I painted in some color. I make a quick select for the sky. I then picked the most saturated sky color, went even more saturated with the color picker and painted in at about 2% opacity. I also painted in a little gold/yellow color. Then I upped the saturation a second time. Not very elegant but enough to indicate a processing direction.

Give yourself some credit, especially working with a JPEG.

Thanks for the insight!

Jeff

Edited on Jul 01, 2015 at 05:43 PM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2015 at 04:47 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fire on the Water

Much to like about this one. Possible a small bit cropped from the right. Do find myself spending a little too much of my time puzzling what sort of critter is grazing. Argh!

Jul 01, 2015 at 05:42 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.