New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

My 5DsR is on its way. The next thing is to upgrade software. Currently using PS CS6 and ACR. That doesn't support the 5Ds. I like to buy my software rather than lease it. Not sure I want to bite the bullet for CC or try something like Capture One.

Looking for advice. Never used Capture One. How different is the work flow - doing RAW conversion there and exporting it to PS for further edits. Other options?

Downloading the trial of Capture One to try it.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:16 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

You still can buy Lightroom flat out. I did. We just don't get all the new features, such as Dehaze.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Staklo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

Good question, I was going ask something similar.
CS5 also does not process RAW from these cameras (of course), so I was wondering what to do since I don't like subscription concept.
Decided to give Canon's 'Digital Photo Professional 4' that comes bundled with the camera a try and I've been quite pleased with the results. Work flow is choppy and less intuitive than the PS programs, but it's not unworkable and after a week or so its getting more intuitive and comfortable.
I do the conversion with the Canon software plus major adjustments and then finish/tweak with CS5. So at minimum, you can utilize RAW files as soon as you get your camera and take your time picking an upgrade.
Hope some others chime in with suggestions and options.
Good luck,
Staklo

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Ron Hu

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

I don't know if they fixed it, but I tried using DPP back in late '10 when I got my 1st camera (T2i) and if you chose to use lens perspective correction it fuzzied up the picture a lot to notice.

I found LR 3. trial and use it for that very purpose and it didn't destroy the image so I been using it ever since.

I would love to go to something else. I would like to try DxO and CapOne, but I can't use plugins I have. I use my color checker PP and it does put colors back to where they belong. If I could use CCPP on Capture One I may really move over to it.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:49 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

Capture One. Iridient Developer.

Jul 01, 2015 at 12:15 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

I don't like the subscription concept either, but I have to say that the current CC Lightroom and Photoshop might make you reconsider. $10/month!

Jul 01, 2015 at 12:47 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

JameelH wrote:
My 5DsR is on its way. The next thing is to upgrade software. Currently using PS CS6 and ACR. That doesn't support the 5Ds. I like to buy my software rather than lease it. Not sure I want to bite the bullet for CC or try something like Capture One.

Looking for advice. Never used Capture One. How different is the work flow - doing RAW conversion there and exporting it to PS for further edits. Other options?

Adobe have said that they will continue to support CS6 with new Camera's . you don't get the newer version of ACR that is in CC or LR5/6 but you do still at least have support

goto your adobe updater and do the update . I just did mine . I hadn't bothered as Im a CC user now but I still have CS6 on my machine as well . its currently updating its ACR

Jul 01, 2015 at 01:55 AM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

I have the latest ACR with PS6. Downloaded sample CR2. No go. Works with CC.

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:29 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

stanj wrote:
You still can buy Lightroom flat out. I did. We just don't get all the new features, such as Dehaze.

Thankfully there's a way round that, works really well:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1371198/0#13066457

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:37 AM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

JameelH wrote:

Just note that CO's profile for the 5DSR isn't finalised yet (if you lift shadows at base ISO, for example, everything will look very greenish compared to other Canon cameras). But ACR/LR's profiles aren't very good either anyway.

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:55 AM
Craig Zendel

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

ACR 9.1 supports both 5Ds and 5DsR.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

HTH

CraigZ

Jul 01, 2015 at 05:22 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

stanj wrote:

dhphoto wrote:
Thankfully there's a way round that, works really well:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1371198/0#13066457

Clunky, and they want my credit card info for a free download. Hell no.

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:48 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

stanj wrote:
Clunky, and they want my credit card info for a free download. Hell no.

No you don't have to do it that way, one of the other options just goes to an instant download. If you can't do that I'll send it to you, just pm me

Jul 01, 2015 at 09:23 AM
albedo_jdb

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

I can't believe nobody has said this already, or maybe I am misunderstanding the OP, but the latest upgrade to ACR for CS6 reads the 5DSR files with no problem. The upgrade was released weeks/months ago. I got my 5DRS a couple weeks ago and have been using ACR/CS6 on my PC to read and process with no problems. Works great!

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:33 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

Craig Zendel wrote:
ACR 9.1 supports both 5Ds and 5DsR.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

HTH

CraigZ

I downloaded this and it appears to handle the 5ds files just fine. Thanks much. The Adobe updater didn't pick it up though.

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Ron Hu

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

Windows guy.

Peter Figen wrote:
Capture One. Iridient Developer.

Jul 04, 2015 at 04:45 PM
DAphoto77
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

I have cc. I live near the ocean and dehaze is simple (I like simple) and effective. I have had cc since it came out. I am happy with both PS and LR.

Jul 04, 2015 at 05:06 PM
DAphoto77
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

I have cc. I live near the ocean and dehaze is simple (I like simple) and effective. I have had cc since it came out. I am happy with both PS and LR.

Jul 04, 2015 at 05:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

DAphoto77 wrote:

Ok, where is dehaze in the menu? Or is it LR only?

Jul 04, 2015 at 07:27 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5Ds(R) and Raw conversion

De haze is in the effects (fx) tab in ACR

Jul 04, 2015 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.