New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · File association trouble

Howard Barlow

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · File association trouble

Ok, on my PC, I cannot get "Open with" to accept PSCC 2015 for .png files. It let me select LR and Bridge, but I get no response when I select PS. What's up with that?

Jun 30, 2015 at 08:57 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · File association trouble

I just tried to open a couple of pngs in both Bridge and Windows Explorer and the opened without any issue.

Hard to say what's causing your issue, but here's a few things to think about:

What version of the OS are you using (Vista, Win 7, Win 8,x, etc.)? 32 or 64 bit?

How many versions of Photoshop do you have installed? If more than the latest version, which ones and how many bits?

On which drive is Photoshop installed? The same drive as the OS?

Which drive are you using for caching and how much empty space do you have on it?

Are the png files you're trying to open very large in size?

If restarting your computer doesn't fix the problem, there might be a problem with how Photoshop CC 2015 was added to the Windows Registry during the installation process. Before trying to do anything else, did you try to Google the problem you're having to see if anyone else is experiencing it and perhaps has found a fix for the issue? For instance, see I cannot associate files with Adobe Photoshop CC.

As you can see at that link, a lot of things can be causing the issue.

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:16 AM
Howard Barlow

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · File association trouble

Jan, it's Win 7, 64, 16G RAM, PSCC 2015. Only version, loaded on C.

I have .jpg, .cr2, and TIFF all associated with it. I can associate Bridge and LR with the file, but not PS. Any other program will associate, exceptPS. It's as if File Association will no longer accept PS.

Small file, 500+G available on 1T drive. Rebooting didn't help.

Thanks for responding.

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:03 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · File association trouble

Howard Barlow wrote:
Jan, it's Win 7, 64, 16G RAM, PSCC 2015. Only version, loaded on C.

I have .jpg, .cr2, and TIFF all associated with it. I can associate Bridge and LR with the file, but not PS. Any other program will associate, exceptPS. It's as if File Association will no longer accept PS.

I have the same issue with Vista and jpeg, If you do a web search you should come up with several solutions. I tried a few and eventually gave up. I just open files directly from the Ps File menu.

Brian A

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:26 PM
Howard Barlow

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · File association trouble

Hey, Brian. The weird thing is I set all my other image files, .jpg, .cr2, TIFF, to PS, some time back. Today, I can't do so. However, it must be PS exclusive, as I can change programs on other items, such as changing players on audio, or video.

I've searched quite a bit, but nothing worthwhile. Maybe I'm not using the right terms.

Thanks.

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:34 PM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · File association trouble

See the following link, Howard, which provides the following explanation:

"We've identified a couple of odd cases that can cause the registry to get messed p/confused/outdated entries. Someone is working on this now."

Photoshop CC 2015 installation issue with registry in Windows 7

One word of caution: if you're not comfortable viewing/editing the registry, it's best to stay out of it. Doing the wrong thing there could cause fatal errors in the OS.

Jul 01, 2015 at 04:15 PM
Howard Barlow

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · File association trouble

Actually, I do that with each version update, Jan. But, I guess the gremlins moved out last night, as it is working properly today. Thanks for all replies, folks.

Jul 03, 2015 at 12:09 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.