Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

For those of you that use several 2nd shooters:

Do you ever use someone that has a different camera system, or is that just far too much of a hassle when it comes to your processing presets in LR?

E.G. You shoot a Nikon, he shoots a Canon, etc. How sucky would that be to process?

Jun 30, 2015 at 03:01 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

It's sucky, but even the same system can be a hassle. I only use Nikon shooters now. Having to work with Canon files is a real PITA

Jun 30, 2015 at 03:07 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

Sup Ron!

We need to get together soon man, I'm back in town.

And yeah, that's what I figured. Different cameras within the same system is a nuisance alone sometimes.

Jun 30, 2015 at 03:15 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

We use tow and sometimes three different systems per wedding. Took a bit to dial them in. But with a custom LR profile for each camera there's no issues for our clients. Sometimes I'll choose a camera because it looks different.

Gordon

Jun 30, 2015 at 04:19 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

Having your own cameras profiled is great, you can always do it afterwards, the "problem" with the second shooter's files is that you dont have the profile for their camera/s which can be shorted out somoehow, I suppose.

Jun 30, 2015 at 04:35 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

I've had team C S & N all in the same job. VSCO is your friend. Great calibration files.

Jun 30, 2015 at 04:42 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

The problem isnt so much the system involved for files after ( though that does help), as it is compatability of your equipment. For example, you have built in redundancy in case the second shooter has an issue with a camera or lens. I have 3 bodies and a ton of lenses, but they are all Nikon. If you have a Canon shooter who has never shot Nikon, a tough place to start learning is at a wedding. Also, though you may have redundant lenses, they may not- and thus you can lend lenses as need be- and the same holds true with flashes and triggers.

Jun 30, 2015 at 05:23 PM
tsilva

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

this is why god created the x-rite color checker passport. have each system shoot the calibration card, create a custom profile for each that is based on the same target and be done with it. why hurt yourself?

Jun 30, 2015 at 05:40 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

I have a 2nd for my last wedding 2 weeks ago.
Me Canon ... including the rented 5DS.
2nd .... 3 different fuji's.

Problem ... no.

I can use a basic Total rad or VSCO camera calibration to get me started and go from there.

-Mark

Jun 30, 2015 at 08:44 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

jmraso wrote:
Having your own cameras profiled is great, you can always do it afterwards, the "problem" with the second shooter's files is that you dont have the profile for their camera/s which can be shorted out somoehow, I suppose.

I shoot with only two other photographers so it's not an issue. but I carry an Xrite passport anyway, so if they get a new camera it's as easy as a single shot sometime during the day.

Honestly though. It's me who changes cameras every other second. I've become quite good at making profiles fast.

Gordon

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:06 PM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

You'll never get files to match. Heck, both of my 5D3's don't match in exact colors. I edit each photographer individually, then batch process each camera. From import to album completion is less than 3 hours.

Jul 01, 2015 at 01:26 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

I shoot Leica and Fuji, so I'm about as different as they come. I second for a number of shooters and a couple of them have commented that the files are "unique" (which, they are) and I doubt they mean that in a good sense.

If they're good enough and you like their work, you'll find a way to make their files work.

Jul 01, 2015 at 01:35 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

mikethevilla wrote:
I shoot Leica and Fuji, so I'm about as different as they come. I second for a number of shooters and a couple of them have commented that the files are "unique" (which, they are) and I doubt they mean that in a good sense.

If they're good enough and you like their work, you'll find a way to make their files work.

Mike's stuff is cray. Last year he second shot with me a couple of times. One of the weddings, I was using 5D3s, my assistant was shooting with a Nikon D600, and he had his Leica & Fuji....good times. VSCO camera profiles does an excellent job at blending it all together, actually.

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:05 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

Why dont you, the primaries, take a color checker in the bag, the are so portable, and have the second shoot it in the two lighting conditions you like ?

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:04 AM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

I shoot Canon 5DII & III and have shot second for a Nikon shooter. I even do processing on my own images for her. We try to sync up our WB for each unique setting during the day, but not always able to 100% of time. I ask for a few images she's processed from each setting to make sure my PP matches close enough. We have similar processing styles, so no issues thus far... I give her the processed and RAW, but she uses my processed. I've seen the full galleries delivered to clients and it's not easy to tell which is which. Certainly the clients could not tell... You guys, perhaps, on some images.

I've had opportunities to second shoot with others that only want like systems, so whatever works for them is fine...

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:58 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

dhp_sf wrote:
Mike's stuff is cray. Last year he second shot with me a couple of times. One of the weddings, I was using 5D3s, my assistant was shooting with a Nikon D600, and he had his Leica & Fuji....good times. VSCO camera profiles does an excellent job at blending it all together, actually.

Ha. I would NOT consider my stuff cray, but I do think it blends well with Duy's work (he's free to disagree here), which is hopefully why he hires me on occasion (again, this could be all in my head).

I think that shooting style/lighting/mannerisms are all far more important traits in a second shooter than the camera system. With decent editing skills, you can correct most any file to look similar enough to another for a client's purposes. The same isn't true of composition or lighting.

Interesting twist though: In a couple weeks I'm second shooting what is sure to be the most INSANE wedding of my career and because of a publication's crazy tight turnaround time and having 4 photographers on the day of, the primary is renting everyone Canon gear to make things easier on a hectic edit process.

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:01 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

mikethevilla wrote:
Ha. I would NOT consider my stuff cray, but I do think it blends well with Duy's work (he's free to disagree here), which is hopefully why he hires me on occasion (again, this could be all in my head).

I think that shooting style/lighting/mannerisms are all far more important traits in a second shooter than the camera system. With decent editing skills, you can correct most any file to look similar enough to another for a client's purposes. The same isn't true of composition or lighting.

Interesting twist though: In a couple weeks I'm second shooting what is sure to be
...Show more

I meant more that your mix of gear is cray But yeah your working style totally blends with mine. Looking forward to doing it again later this month, dude!

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:23 PM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Second Shooter Using Different Camera System...?

My main second shoots Canon (I'm Nikon all the way), and it's never really an issue. I just make sure we set the same WB when possible and it saves some time in processing.

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.