Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

nikonos6
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

This is my first thread on fredmiranda and hopefully you are going to give me some kind of respons.

For many years i used Nikon gear, to be honest more than 20years, which means more than half of my life.
However - i did jump on the digital train quite late, always waiting for the best nikon body for my needs, and
so i even skipped the D700 ( perhaps being convinced that the next one would be just an awesome camera,
being better in every aspect).
So in late 2012 i got a D800 and tried to get accustomed within just 3 weeks, starting a big trip to Australia and Hawaii
right afterwards.
Of course i couldn`t really use this camera up to it`s full potential, the 70-200 VRII was a god companion, my older lenses like the 17-35mm 2.8 not so much when using it wide open under 20mm.

But back to the topic:
As these recent years went by, technology has been upgrading a lot, mostly Sony was a big contender and has
probably pulled a lot of Nikon and canon users to the new a7 series.

What i really would like to see nikon develop within the next year would be at least two different pro-grade bodies,
which i think would really suit a lot of nikon users.
The first one would be a D850 or D900 in two different versions: one for the megapixel-race, with around 42-50Megapixel
sensor, and another one with just at least 16MPix or a maximum of 20MegaPixel for available light and night photography.
What i want in both options is besides a professional and durable body a foldable display like the D750, definitely a
focus peaking function ( well nikon - what are you waiting for actually ), and a magnifying ( loupe) function which makes it much faster to manual focus on the screen. All these things are implemented in the Sony a7 series -
so i guess it should be easily doable!
Then it would be great to have an even better speed and functionality of the D810, with the same silent mode.
high iso capability of the 42-50 MegaPixel version should be somehow comparable to the D810 and the lower
Megapixel version should have abilities comparable to the Sony a7s !!
Autofocus should be even better than with the best systems of today ( i guess the coming d5 will show the way)
and a lot of us would welcome 4k video as well .The whole package should have about the same weight as the
D810 has now, handling could be even better i guess ( the d750 seems being the best compromise here, though being
a bit smaller).
Everything for just a tad higher a price would be still an awesome camera with a lot of qualities.
The main point for me is still better manual focusing abilities and the choice between those two versions with either
the highest detail rate or just the best low-light possibilities.

One problem remains the sensors itself. Will Sony deliver or will Nikon have to look for another supplier?
If it is Sony, then the price will be quite steep i guess ( at least as high as the new versions of the Canon 5D`s ).

There is also some space for a successor for the d750 in the second half of next year i think.
Here we could expect 4k video, great autofocus and some improvements like a faster shutter, an improved IQ
could result from some new algorithms in the processing machine - perhaps a slight upgrade of the sensor megapixelwise.
We are going to see what Sony is coming out with next - i guess the successor of the A7s will be somehow
the perfect compromise of high iso and general qualities.

Nikon also has to get going with some lenses!
What everybody expects will be the new 24-70 VR and i guess also a 135 1.8 Vr or 2.0 Vr. This will have to compete with Sigmas new development of a new Art 135 2.0.
This very versatile medium tele-lens should not weigh much more than 1000gram, and the image quality and sharpness should be almost on Zeiss 135mm ZF level!
This would be a great lens indeed - and i think a lot of users could even imagine getting rid of a 70-200 2.8, when having a zoom from 24-70 or 24-120, and then just taking this 135mm 2.0 would offer enough flexibility for most
of us when using it with a 36Megapixel + body.
There is also a need for a great new 16-35 2.8 with the option to use normal filter solutions.
I guess a lot of us would somehow have some good use for a lens like this!

Let`s see what happens!

Jun 29, 2015 at 05:01 PM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

Welcome to Fred's -

You do echo the wants of a bunch of forum members I'm sure, it just sounds like you're overthinking it and missing out on the fun to me

I'm with Nikon now because my Canons at the time that I got back into photography had frustrating autofocus - so I tried a D700 and haven't looked back. Now I have enough gear that if another company pulls ahead I'll probably stick with Nikon unless they really drop the ball for a few years in a row.

But I could be happy with Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, etc. And if I didn't have the money to upgrade, I'd still be thrilled to be shooting with a D700

And all the people that enjoy or pay for my pictures couldn't care less about pixel level sharpness, dynamic range, fps, DX / CX / FX, or any of the features of my camera that I tend to be concerned with. They're just having an emotional response to the picture.

Sure, people ask what I shoot with, and I'll tell them, but I'll also tell them that yes I have nice cameras but I could take the same pictures with any brand.

Anyway, I just think that none of us are really going to influence the Nikon roadmap and our time is better spent shooting and enjoying the results with customers, friends and family

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:34 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

Nikon need a Sony A7R alternative. If Sony sold a version with a Nikon mount I would be all over it. It would be perfect most of my needs as a pro photographer, and the size would be perfect for travel photography

Jul 01, 2015 at 11:13 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

Right now, I'd be pretty satisfied having a pair of $2000 Nikon cameras without any manufacturing defects.

Jul 01, 2015 at 12:31 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

pr4photos wrote:
Nikon need a Sony A7R alternative. If Sony sold a version with a Nikon mount I would be all over it. It would be perfect most of my needs as a pro photographer, and the size would be perfect for travel photography

What if the A7RII with adapter can autofocus Canon lenses as quickly (or something like 95-98% as quickly), would that tempt you to switch to canon lenses with Sony bodies? Or are you too heavily invested in Nikon glass to make that switch?

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

Surprisingly, I don't need anything from Nikon at this point. I'm sick of spending money. The way I think of this is, I will never keep up with technology.

Jul 01, 2015 at 04:11 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

Nikon... and roadmap? Strategy?

The only map they've had lately is one given to them by Professor Dumbledore, not sure it will get them out of the woods though.
They're using their Harry Potter stick to whip up a strategy. They got excited when they worked out a strategy for playing Battleship.

Nikon is playing follow the leader, but unfortunately is way back on the congo line.
We'll have to wait till mid next year to raise an eyebrow.

Jul 01, 2015 at 05:42 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

Nikon already has more fun things available than my wallet will allow me to buy.

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

Unless Nikon makes about 100 bodies, you just have to live with what they make. Some of us are still waiting for a D4x and D400, which will most likely never happen. Other people want an A7 style body, but probably have not had the use the Sony in action.

EBH

Jul 01, 2015 at 10:54 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

myboostedgst wrote:
What if the A7RII with adapter can autofocus Canon lenses as quickly (or something like 95-98% as quickly), would that tempt you to switch to canon lenses with Sony bodies? Or are you too heavily invested in Nikon glass to make that switch?

I have too much invested in pro Nikon lenses, otherwise yes, I would be tempted. Its a camera that Nikon desperately need in their lineup, as there is a definite market for a camera like this, utilising Nikon lenses

Jul 02, 2015 at 05:52 AM
Sagar
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

I don't understand all the hype about Sony A7 series. Unless you are more into MF, overall native system size, performance and price ratio doesn't make sense to me.

I find D750 with little 1.8 primes much more compelling than any Sony combination. It's just that it doesn't look as fancy and modern as Sony or Fujis ;-)

In same $ you get much more capable Canikon gear with wider variety of lenses, flash system and pro support who need it.

Jul 02, 2015 at 06:42 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

nikonos6 wrote:
There is also some space for a successor for the d750 in the second half of next year i think.
Here we could expect 4k video, great autofocus and some improvements like a faster shutter, an improved IQ
could result from some new algorithms in the processing machine - perhaps a slight upgrade of the sensor megapixelwise.

I'm not using Nikon yet, but for me the D750 is already pretty close to my ideal camera: a relatively small/light FF camera with tilt screen, up-to-date sensor and good AF. It would be even better with the new 42MP Sony sensor (primarily for more capable crop mode e.g. for wildlife shots), increased buffer size (to handle more frames with more Megapixels), and better Liveview (probably the most difficult part, but maybe the architecture of the new Sony sensor can help there?).

The A7RII also looks interesting to me, but I don't expect it to focus as well in all conditions with adapted Canon or Nikon glass as using native lenses on a DSLR body. If the new Sony really has similar AF performance as a recent Canon or Nikon DSLR that might be quite disruptive though, also because A7RII has a lot of other technology under the hood.

However, in Europe the A7RII is 2x the current D750 price, D750 has much better battery performance and probably better ergonomics so I don't think these cameras really compete. I guess by the time it has the improvements suggested above the D750 successor would be as expensive as the A7RII (which by that time probably has a lower price than at introduction).

Jul 02, 2015 at 06:44 AM
nikonos6
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

You `re perfectly right about the D750.
It is quite a good camera with it`s great AF-system and very good overall image quality, and very good
high iso capabilities.
It is also versatile and as you said not too big/bulky or heavy.
If Nikon just took better care of manual focusing, enabling users to change the screen for a proper
one for manual focusing and also this easy loupe-function by just pressing a button and the focus peaking
as well. Unfortunately Nikon does not implement either of those things so far ! That is a bit frustrating i think
and they should change their stubborn mind and take care of this quickly otherwise they will definitely loose more customers to brands like Sony.
They should also think about their software-update policy:
they really missed some great opportunities and i - as a long year Nikon-user - i am not
amused about it!
So just let us hope they will improve on this things

Jul 03, 2015 at 07:23 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

nikonos6 wrote:
You `re perfectly right about the D750.
It is quite a good camera with it`s great AF-system and very good overall image quality, and very good
high iso capabilities.
It is also versatile and as you said not too big/bulky or heavy.
If Nikon just took better care of manual focusing, enabling users to change the screen for a proper
one for manual focusing and also this easy loupe-function by just pressing a button and the focus peaking
as well. Unfortunately Nikon does not implement either of those things so far !

I'm currently using Canon DSLR and the situation there is similar. Only the pro cameras have micro-adjustment, lack of which is real problem especially with longer lenses. The focusing screens on most models are inadequate for accurate manual focusing. You really have to trust the DSLR AF system, only with very slow/stationary subjects you can get exact focus with Liveview but that is a pain to use especially in bright light (display image almost invisible and slow process). But when it works Liveview enables better image quality because of exact focus (and less mirror/shutter vibration ...).

With the Sony A7RII the AF should be more accurate/reliable which sounds very attractive (although with very fast subjects it might struggle). But the downside is the EVF lag and lower quality viewfinder image compared to DSLR in bright light / high contrast conditions. Some kind of 'hybrid' solution like you describe sounds nice, but I don't expect this in the current model ranges.

I'm sure the D750 AF is a big step up from my current (older) Canon DSLR; I'm just wondering if the A7RII would be another step up in practice ;-)

Jul 03, 2015 at 10:54 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Roadmap satisfying our needs!

Sagar wrote:
I don't understand all the hype about Sony A7 series. Unless you are more into MF, overall native system size, performance and price ratio doesn't make sense to me.

They seem to have gone a bit mad with the a7rII price. The a7r is a D800 sensor in a compact package for £1000 less - pretty appealing to many.

Jul 03, 2015 at 01:41 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.