Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

Donzo98
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

Have any of you seen a difference with the VR issue in the late number serial numbers of the new 300??

Have any of you sent it in for the FW fix on the lower SN's?

I'm looking to get one... and just want to make sure they actually fixed what they said they were going to

Jun 29, 2015 at 03:36 PM
Rwold

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

I had an early model that I returned because of the VR issue on my 810. I got a replacement from the Nikon Store with a serial number past the "fix". My copy is now good and doesnt have the VR issue.

Jun 29, 2015 at 03:58 PM
gpelpel
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

I have one of the early ones, second batch I think. It has been a fine lens since day one aside from the VR issue at certain speeds and under certain conditions (inconsistent issue).
I send the lens to Nikon for the fix, got it back about a week later, it's has been perfect since.

I used to have the older, non VR, version. Sharpness is about the lens, may be a bit better with converters especially with the TC-20eIII. VR definitely helps. I get handheld results I would be able to get in the past.

The old version was already excellent so I would say the most valuable improvement with the new version are its size and weight. I am rarely leaving home without this lens in the bag while in the past it was only getting out on specifically targeted shoots (birds).

Is there any drawbacks? Yes... one, at least for me. If there are some strong highlights in the background they tend to be 'nervous' (harsh), I guess this is due to a not as soft bokeh characteristics.

My wish from Nikon... a 500mm f/4 PF. What would be very cool!

Jun 29, 2015 at 04:06 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

You guys have any before and after the fix shots??

Just for comparison...

Jun 29, 2015 at 04:58 PM
gpelpel
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

The difference is that prior to the fix getting handheld shots around 1/100s was inconsistent using VR. With VR off the shots were sharper at the same speed and so were the VR on shots at lower speeds such as 1/30s.

Apparently the problem was more pronounced with the D800/D810 cameras (I use D810). I also read that the problem was reduced when a battery grip was mounted on the camera but cannot confirm its truth (no battery grip on mine).

Jun 29, 2015 at 07:10 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

gpelpel wrote:
The difference is that prior to the fix getting handheld shots around 1/100s was inconsistent using VR. With VR off the shots were sharper at the same speed and so were the VR on shots at lower speeds such as 1/30s.

Apparently the problem was more pronounced with the D800/D810 cameras (I use D810). I also read that the problem was reduced when a battery grip was mounted on the camera but cannot confirm its truth (no battery grip on mine).

Is the problem completely fixed now??

Jun 29, 2015 at 07:37 PM
TightLines
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

Also interested in the lens. Anyone mind repeating the pre and post fix serial number cut off? I seemed to have missed it.

Jun 29, 2015 at 08:40 PM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

i also am waiting to find out if there is a 'fix'. i wanted to buy used here on the forum but nikon will not honor a fix for a second party.
as a side note, i had ordered two of the previous 300 mm f4 and both were soft, not as sharp as my 70-200 with a 1.4 converter. this lens must be stellar in c omparison according to fm reviewers.

Jun 29, 2015 at 08:44 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

TightLines wrote:
Also interested in the lens. Anyone mind repeating the pre and post fix serial number cut off? I seemed to have missed it.

Anything after 205101...

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19448/~/to-users-of-the-af-s-300mm-f%2F4e-pf-ed-vr ]NIKON USA LINK[/url]

Jun 29, 2015 at 09:36 PM
gpelpel
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

Donzo98 wrote:
Is the problem completely fixed now??

As far as I know... YES!

Jun 30, 2015 at 01:04 PM
NIH NSF
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

Mine is OK, no VR issue, this is a superb lens, the only potential down side is the bokeh could be a little busy, for example when I shoot birds in relative poor light with many small branches as the background, the blurred branches doesn't look very pleasing.

Jun 30, 2015 at 01:29 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

Would be more assuring if someone who previously experienced the VR issue can confirm that it is totally gone with the newest lenses. My impression from various forums is that recently purchased 300PF lenses (from a month ago or earlier) still have obvious VR problems with several cameras (including e.g. D750) despite the firmware fix.

Could be that Nikon is now silently shipping new lenses with a complete fix, but more likely people are not testing in the conditions that would normally show the VR problems (depending on several variables like body, shutter speed, grip yes/no etc; with the first batches there were also users who claimed that their copy had no VR issues at all ...).

Jun 30, 2015 at 02:23 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

gpelpel wrote:
As far as I know... YES!

No, people with serial #208xxxxx claiming continued problems, so doesn't seem resolved for everyone.

Jun 30, 2015 at 06:45 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

I got mine today... SN 207XXX. Didn;t get a chance to test at the affected shutter speeds yet.

Here are two just messing around...

First impressions... WOW... so small for a 300! I might actually use it.

First one is uncropped... second has about 15% of the frame cropped out. The second one is at 1/40th!!!!

http://donzo98.easycgi.com/TestImages/PF1.JPG

http://donzo98.easycgi.com/TestImages/PF2.JPG

Jun 30, 2015 at 07:58 PM
NikonDeb
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

this is the first time I am hearing of any issues. I just got mine today-using it for a concert tomorrow night...serial number is "207xxx" so there shouldnt be any issues?

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:01 PM
NikonDeb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

Donzo--which camera? I was planning on using my d750 for tomorrow's concert--would I be better off using the Df or D3s?

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:03 PM
AdirondackZack

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

I just received my copy late last week and have been testing it out ever since. Serial # is in 208XXX range. There does seem to be a loss of sharpness when shooting at shutter speeds of 1/60-1/200 sec. handheld. The problem goes away when shooting from a tripod. Also, the problem seems inconsistent. Sometimes I can get sharp shots at those shutter speeds, and sometimes I can not. Very occasionally I will get some doubling, but not bad. Still undecided whether or not to return the lens, it's a great lens otherwise. Think I'm going to call Nikon and see what they suggest.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:52 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

NikonDeb wrote:
Donzo--which camera? I was planning on using my d750 for tomorrow's concert--would I be better off using the Df or D3s?

D810

Jul 01, 2015 at 02:14 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

AdirondackZack wrote:
I just received my copy late last week and have been testing it out ever since. Serial # is in 208XXX range. There does seem to be a loss of sharpness when shooting at shutter speeds of 1/60-1/200 sec. handheld. The problem goes away when shooting from a tripod. Also, the problem seems inconsistent. Sometimes I can get sharp shots at those shutter speeds, and sometimes I can not. Very occasionally I will get some doubling, but not bad. Still undecided whether or not to return the lens, it's a great lens otherwise. Think I'm going to call Nikon and
...Show more

please report back, although I doubt you will get a clear answer ;-(

It looks like a great lens, enough incentive for me to buy a Nikon DSLR. But at a price of more than 2000 euros I would like reliable VR at shutter speeds where one would normally expect it to work. What is reported until now suggests that the problem has been reduced in newer copies but not solved.

Jul 01, 2015 at 06:52 AM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 300mm F4 PF POST FIX or UNAFFECTED...

that is not good...any feedback from the sharpness of the new pf lens vs my expereince with a softer 300mm f4?

Jul 01, 2015 at 08:27 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.