New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

If you are shooting a wedding, you should be running two cameras anyways.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

jeremy_clay wrote:
If you are shooting a wedding, you should be running two cameras anyways.

I agree!

If you must repair the camera yourself, it should be used as a backup only until the bent pin is reapired by Canon Service.

Jun 30, 2015 at 02:37 PM
KarlBuiter

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

mogud wrote:
I agree!

If you must repair the camera yourself, it should be used as a backup only until the bent pin is reapired by Canon Service.

A few years back I had a tripod accident that broke a hole into the card reader of my one and only primary camera for a paid-for photo event even before the first shot was taken. Fortunately another photographer lent me his third camera body and I was able to salvage the weekend. Since, I always carry a second body on any serious trip.

So if there is a client and this is a job; or its a trip for photo business; I absolutely agree on a backup. The last thing you want to do is explain to the bride that you were unable to photograph that day. Even if the camera appears to be working, it may fail mid-wedding or worse, nothing was transferred.

As to CPS, they are very fast and the 20% discount takes some of the pain out of the cost. I get an additional perk from being in Vegas - CPS frequents several trade shows - CES, NAB, WPPI - that allows me to take advantage of the free cleans. You may get similar benefits in other big cities.

Jun 30, 2015 at 03:39 PM
CaseyChaos
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

I had this happen on my 7D. A local shop here in San Antonio replaced the connector and cleaned the camera for just north of $200. You might try a local shop before going back to Canon if in a hurry.

Jul 01, 2015 at 11:13 AM
MaunaKea7007
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

While a classroom teacher about 2007, fifth grade, I had my Rebel in the room to teach a little about cameras and photography. The kids were taking pictures and switching lenses, and moving the cards in and out... oh, yeah, same thing: bent pin...

So I smiled when I read the OP's story.

That cost about $200 or $250 if I remember correctly, and I think I had not re-joined CPS at that point. (Was a long-time commercial photographer before and am back shooting now.)

CPS is a fee-paid "membership" directly with Canon and requires a threshold amount of pro-level gear. Some lenses and maybe old bodies don't count toward the threshold, like my nice 300mm f4 non-IS. There are three levels, one of which was established for photography students. A web search will bring you to the program's dedicated web page.

One big benefit is "loaner" gear while an item is in the repair shop. (Subject to availability: the wide T&S lenses not so easy, for example.) You are also able to borrow certain pieces for testing before buying.

And, of course, discounts and extra speed on repairs.

Very worthwhile for a busy pro. Cost of doing business, but very well might pay for itself. In some years it is like insurance but not recouped.

To the OP, thank you for teaching.

Jul 01, 2015 at 12:10 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

Here is a pin out of what does what on the CF card. If you re lucky it is a ground pin and does nothing as there are others. Note the slots in the drawing. They are the only indication of card position.
http://tinyurl.com/q238xk6 which is far nicer than the 414 character url below

https://www.google.com/search?q=CF+card+pinout&client=opera&hs=UcQ&tbm=isch&imgil=wOKSfiPz6l-aMM%253A%253Bj3g7z9VrBGhktM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fsearle.hostei.com%25252Fgrant%25252Fcpm%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=wOKSfiPz6l-aMM%253A%252Cj3g7z9VrBGhktM%252C_&biw=1426&bih=795&usg=__po7dXVCulE5OudzJcIfSZQaMi34%3D&ved=0CCoQyjc&ei=60yUVYbpDMPv-AGDhIHYBw#imgrc=wOKSfiPz6l-aMM%3A&usg=__po7dXVCulE5OudzJcIfSZQaMi34%3D

Jul 01, 2015 at 03:42 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

According to OP's image of bent pin & image of CF card connection point shown below, bent pin is #50 (or #1 if I read incorrectly) - both are ground connectors.

Try to straighten it with a sharp pair of tweezers, if broken, you only need 1 of many grounds working.

Jul 01, 2015 at 04:33 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

dhphoto wrote:
Yes you do have to take the sd/cf adapter out, but as they are big fat CF 'cards' (type II) they are a very snug fit in the CF chamber and it would be very difficult to get them misaligned.

The alignment issue is rocking on the long axis (called scooping in industry lingo). Fatter cards might help a small amount, but not significantly. Its almost impossible to bend a pin rocking a card from side to side, but much easier lengthwise. That's why you see most pins bent lengthwise..

Jul 01, 2015 at 11:53 PM
fredster
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

You can try buying the small long needle nose pliers. A good hobby shop would more then likely have what you need. It Is worth the try spending a few bucks

Jul 03, 2015 at 07:28 AM
dantewaters
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

I ended up sending it to canon and paid the premium (also signed up for the free CPS account).

Aug 16, 2015 at 01:07 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

dantewaters wrote:
I ended up sending it to canon and paid the premium (also signed up for the free CPS account).

You really shouldn't be doing a paying job without a backup camera

Aug 16, 2015 at 01:10 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

dhphoto wrote:
You really shouldn't be doing a paying job without a backup camera

At least not one where the subject won't be available later if something goes wrong.

One backup camera strategy is to keep your previous body around instead of selling it when you upgrade. Another is to acquire a less capable but capable enough camera for emergencies — this could even be a consumer-grade DSLR that can use the same lenses. There are other options, too.

But for a wedding, you need to be ready for the worst possible scenario — a dead/broken camera or the loss of at least one lens — so that you can continue and at least end up with good work for those clients.

Good luck,

Dan

Aug 16, 2015 at 01:31 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

A lot of good info here. I have a couple of things to add.

There are multiple ground pins but some cards require a certain pin. You may find that, for example, a missing ground CF slot will read a San Disc but not another brand, etc.

If it's not a ground pin, the rule of thumb is if it's bent flat the solder at the back (inside the camera) is also broken. The pin turns into a flat piece of metal that passes through the plastic bottom, bends 90 degrees, and is soldered to the CF board. If the pin gets bent badly or pushed back into it's hole, it's probably got a broken solder on the back end too. When this happens (to a non-grounded pin) you can make it perfectly straight but it still won't read.

Finally, most Canon cameras have the CF pin assembly on a separate board connected to the main board with a flex. A few, though, have the CF assembly soldered to the main board and replacing them means a board replacement. The 5DIII, 7DII, and 7D have separate CF cards that are easier to replace. It's been a while since I did a 5DII, but I think those were soldered to the board.

Aug 16, 2015 at 03:16 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

For a wedding 2 cameras minimum. 3 to 4 is safer.

Aug 16, 2015 at 04:00 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

gdanmitchell wrote:
At least not one where the subject won't be available later if something goes wrong.

One backup camera strategy is to keep your previous body around instead of selling it when you upgrade. Another is to acquire a less capable but capable enough camera for emergencies — this could even be a consumer-grade DSLR that can use the same lenses. There are other options, too.

But for a wedding, you need to be ready for the worst possible scenario — a dead/broken camera or the loss of at least one lens — so that you can continue and at least end up with
...Show more

Very good advice especially important for a paid shoot.

There have been multiple times backup cameras, lenses and batteries have saved my butt when something I didn't expect to happen ..... happened.

Aug 16, 2015 at 04:00 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

Dantewaters, your Avatar is being hosted on a malicious website according to Malwarebytes Pro. Just an FYI.

Aug 16, 2015 at 04:38 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

Sarsfield wrote:
Dantewaters, your Avatar is being hosted on a malicious website according to Malwarebytes Pro. Just an FYI.

I just had it scanned and it seems ok. I'd suspect a false positive on your malware checker.

http://www.scamvoid.com/check/copy.com

I also checked it with malware bytes and no problem.

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:00 PM
dantewaters
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Wedding dealing with bent pin

You folks are absolutely right, this is why I am buying a Mark III as soon as possible.

Aug 17, 2015 at 08:26 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.