New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

therealthings
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

I know canon optically improved all super tele lenses in 2011, probably also in anticipation of better sensors. But what i would like to know. Is if anyone yet tested the first generation of these IS lenses, e.g. 400 2.8, 500 4.0, 600 4.0 on the new 50mp sensor, and is willing to share some crops.

I'm perfectly happy with center sharpness on my 500 F4 when stopped down a little, but that's on a 6d which has half the resolution of the 5ds/r. First i was pretty confident it would perform great on the new 5ds/r but after reading some comparison reviews between I and II lenses i'm in doubt.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 29, 2015 at 05:39 AM
Brolly99

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

Hi there, I've been using with version 1 of both the 500mm f/4 IS and the 300mm f/2.8 IS and I have been very happy with the results.

Yesterday I visited a friends kingfisher site and used the 5DS and the 500mm f/4 IS with a 36mm extension tube to try and get even closer to the kingfisher. The below shot was at f/13 iso 1600 and 1/320 of a second. This was really just a test to see how much detail I could get. I wish it had been a day with decent light!

The original of this is 7905 pixels tall!

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss160/Oliver_C_Wright/007A3728_zpsa3virupv.jpg

This one is 997 pixels (both have been shrunk to 800 pixels for the web).

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss160/Oliver_C_Wright/007A3728-2_zpskirycf33.jpg

There's more images on this blog I put together yesterday;

http://www.oliverwrightphotography.com/blog/view/kingfisher-fun1

I then went onto trying to get "the" diving shot but used the 1DX for that.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss160/Oliver_C_Wright/FJ8R4213_zpsctmvga0m.jpg

So far I'm really happy with the camera. But it does eat batteries!

Have fun,
Oliver

Jun 29, 2015 at 05:58 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

Wonderful images. I really do like the light you had. The whites on the bird are washed out so easily in brighter conditions. Beautiful branch as well! But pretty close to your camera if the 1st image is not a crop. Do you also have images where the subject filled not more than 30% of the frame? (pretty common with birds and a 500, even with 1.4x tc on a full frame camera unfortunately).

Thanks for sharing.

Jun 29, 2015 at 06:45 AM
rdcny
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

and action shots of birds in flight with the new camera bodies (5ds/r) - how quickly to acquire focus?...how accurate/precise is the focus?

1Dx is expected to excel at the latter...how does the new camera do - a good comparison would be to the 5D3.

Jun 29, 2015 at 07:09 AM
Brolly99

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

therealthings wrote:
Wonderful images. I really do like the light you had. The whites on the bird are washed out so easily in brighter conditions. Beautiful branch as well! But pretty close to your camera if the 1st image is not a crop. Do you also have images where the subject filled not more than 30% of the frame? (pretty common with birds and a 500, even with 1.4x tc on a full frame camera unfortunately).

Thanks for sharing.

I didn't unfortunately on this exercise it was all about filling the frame as much as possible. Hence using the extension tube to photograph within the minimum focusing distance. Sort of like using the 500mm like a giant macro lens. I did do some at another friends site (without extension tubes) the other week and I'll try to get them online. Seemed to work just as well.

Oliver

Jun 29, 2015 at 07:41 AM
Brolly99

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

rdcny wrote:
and action shots of birds in flight with the new camera bodies (5ds/r) - how quickly to acquire focus?...how accurate/precise is the focus?

1Dx is expected to excel at the latter...how does the new camera do - a good comparison would be to the 5D3.

I've only photographed static subjects so far. But found the system to be very similar to the 5D3. If I'd had a faster card I would have used the 5DS on the flying kingfisher shots for sure but with my existing cards on high speed shooting it stops very quickly. That reminds me I need to get online and order some new faster cards!

Oliver

Jun 29, 2015 at 07:44 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

Thanks for your input Oliver. Checked your flickr stream and have to say you have a very nice set of photo's there. Compliments to you. Looking forward to seeing more images taken with the 500 IS USM in combination with your 5ds.

Jun 29, 2015 at 08:25 AM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

therealthings wrote:
I'm perfectly happy with center sharpness on my 500 F4 when stopped down a little, but that's on a 6d which has half the resolution of the 5ds/r.
Thanks in advance.

If you have to stop down a V1 500mm F4 on a 6d to be happy with sharpness I'm not sure you have a properly performing lens.. V1 and V2 500mm lenses are extremely close optically in the center. V2 has a bit of an edge in the corners. I would think the V1 tele's would have no problems handling the new sensor on the 5ds.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:25 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

drobertfranz wrote:
If you have to stop down a V1 500mm F4 on a 6d to be happy with sharpness I'm not sure you have a properly performing lens.. V1 and V2 500mm lenses are extremely close optically in the center. V2 has a bit of an edge in the corners. I would think the V1 tele's would have no problems handling the new sensor on the 5ds.

Yes, sorry, together with a 1.4x TC i meant. (i have the III almost glued on to my 500) @5.6 it's not that sharp. Besides, most of the time i find that wide open has too narrow DOF for a lot of wildlife subjects.

And as for your statement that the I and II are extremely close in the center frame. Take a look at this:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=117&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=745&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0
I wouldn't call that 'extremely close'.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:40 PM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5ds/r with 1st generation super tele

Used them both side by side in the field on real life subjects and I have an extremely hard time telling the 2 apart so I stand by my statement.

Jun 29, 2015 at 02:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.