Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Any Experience Buying Directly From Olympus USA?

tarheel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any Experience Buying Directly From Olympus USA?

Edit to original post: the direct from Olympus prices are now the same as B&H so I now can't see that it matters if one buys the three items I am interested in from Olympus or B&H.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

I have been in a tortuous debate over purchasing an Olympus or Fujifilm camera body and a couple of lenses. I went to the Olympus web site to gather information and subsequently I have been getting a few e-mails from them - which I don't mind and of course I can opt out of receiving them.

Today I received an e-mail from Olympus announcing sale prices on many items: The OMD-EM5II for: $900. , the
12-40 f2.8 Pro Zoom for $800. , and the 40-150 f2.8 Pro Zoom for $1,300. Free shipping and no tax - sold by Olympus USA out of PA. I have spent a ton of money over the years at B&H on Nikon bodies, lenses, and lots of other stuff. I have not had any issue with B&H but at these prices I was considering buying these directly from Olympus. Has anyone here bought directly from Olympus and if so was it a good experience? Somehow I think that if you bought directly from Olympus and had a warranty issue it might all be resolved easier or quicker but really that's just a feeling and not based on logic or fact.

Also, for the two lenses mentioned above the USA warranty is one year. For each of these lenses for $79. they add four years to the warranty - considering the complexity of these high end zooms I think that's a good thing to do.
Any opinions on that issue?

Oh yeah, the OMD EM1 is on sale for: $1,000.
THX,
Bill

Jun 28, 2015 at 03:46 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any Experience Buying Directly From Olympus USA?

tarheel wrote:
Edit to original post: the direct from Olympus prices are now the same as B&H so I now can't see that it matters if one buys the three items I am interested in from Olympus or B&H.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

I have been in a tortuous debate over purchasing an Olympus or Fujifilm camera body and a couple of lenses. I went to the Olympus web site to gather information and subsequently I have been getting a few e-mails from them - which I don't mind and of course I can opt out of receiving them.

Today I received an e-mail from Olympus announcing
...Show more
It has been a while but I did order from Olympus direct a few times and it's just ok. If you're looking for service on par with B&H or Amazon then you'll be disappointed. I don't think the warranty service matters whether you get it from Olympus or another retailer.

Jun 28, 2015 at 05:49 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any Experience Buying Directly From Olympus USA?

As you mention in your edit, once the price drop is reflected at other stores in general give the Olympus store a skip as the service while fair and reliable just isn't as smooth as B&H or Amazon.

That said, for future reference there are two conditions in which it may be worth dealing with the Olympus store:

- Their refurb department has great deals, especially when there are coupons, but stock is very erratic and you have to really watch it to pick up the deals. What is nice is they have a no questions 30 day return policy on refurbs.

- For brand new in demand items often your best bet for a pre-order is through the Olympus store.

Jun 28, 2015 at 06:19 PM
SpecFoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any Experience Buying Directly From Olympus USA?

I have bought from Adorama and B&H for 15 plus years with great success and recently Olympus direct. All are good and the warranty issue will most likely be handled the same for the first year, send directly to Olympus repair in CT.

This week I bought a 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro and ended up choosing Adorama. Reason, while all were at $1,299, Adorama had 4% cash back like B&H, but also included for no charge a 3 year drops and spills warranty! This is why they have gotten my last 2 expensive lens purchases, the 40-150 and the PLeica f/1.2 when it was on sale just before Xmas last year.

Jun 29, 2015 at 03:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.