New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 5Dsr and watch macros

Jeff Kingston

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5Dsr and watch macros

I do a lot of photography of watches....very demanding macro work required. Most of the work is done at the Basel and Geneva fairs which requires a very portable and fast set up.

Won't bore with all the details, but until now I have used a 5DMkIII with the fabulous TSE-90 mm lens. The beauty of this lens is that the tilt feature aids getting better depth of field. I shoot with three flashes and have found f13 combined with the tilt gives me very good depth of field (under the time pressure of the show do not have time to take multiple shots focused on different parts of the watch and stack them digitally in post). I find that the diffraction effects at f13 to be minimal...if present at all (photos still look great at 200%).

So the question is what happens with the 5Dsr? Will the smaller pixels change any of this? I would love to continue to shoot f13. The lens is very sharp and manually focused with live view and with a tripod, 200th exposure and cable shutter release hopefully I will get the full benefit of the extra resolution. Nonetheless the question always arises about diffraction effects.

Comments?

Jun 28, 2015 at 02:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5Dsr and watch macros

Diffraction is a product of the optical projection ... shooting same lens @ same aperture induces same amount of diffraction across the same image circle.

Slicing that image into smaller parts, will mean that each part will "appear" to have more diffraction @ pixel peep ... but when reassembling all the parts ... it will essentially be a wash.

Do you want your large pizza with 20 pepperonis cut up into 8 slices or 16 slices? Some of your pepperonis will "fully" fit on the 8 slices sizes, but might get sliced in two pieces across the 16 slice sizes when you start comparing the pepperonis on the 8 slices vs. the 16 slices. Just because the CoC doesn't fit within a single pixel ... OMG, what would happen if we cut our pizza into 24 or 48 little squares ... none of our pepperonis "fit" on the tiny little squares.

It's still gonna be a large pizza with 20 pepperonis ... any way you cut it.

What you put on your pizza (optical projection) is more important than how many slices (pixels) you cut it.

If f/13 is working for you now (workflow noted @ understood), f/13 will work for you then also.

HTH

(goes with the pizza)

Jun 28, 2015 at 02:47 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5Dsr and watch macros

I have taken the same approach, using the 90/2.8 TSE lens for macros of watches. Enclosed is one example - this was taken with f/8 and 1/125 sec with the lens tilted a bit, single photo. I additionally used a Kenko extension tube between lens and camera. Instead of my Canon camera, I used in this photo my Sony A7R and Metabones III adapter since I prefer the EVF for tilt/shift and macro work. The higher pixel density of the sensor did not show any drawbacks in this regard (even I did not use apertures smaller than f/11 here).

http://martinbluhm.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v159/p1285063046-4.jpg

Edited on Jun 28, 2015 at 03:19 PM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2015 at 03:16 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5Dsr and watch macros

Jeff Kingston wrote:
I do a lot of photography of watches....very demanding macro work required. Most of the work is done at the Basel and Geneva fairs which requires a very portable and fast set up.

Won't bore with all the details, but until now I have used a 5DMkIII with the fabulous TSE-90 mm lens. The beauty of this lens is that the tilt feature aids getting better depth of field. I shoot with three flashes and have found f13 combined with the tilt gives me very good depth of field (under the time pressure of the show do not have time
...Show more

I would not worry about it. Even if you get diffraction at 100% view there is going to be a lot more detail on the 5DSR file compared to the 5D3 file.

Jun 28, 2015 at 03:18 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5Dsr and watch macros

Why don't you like focus stacking? Other than time and hassle, the results have been better for me than trying to achieve sharp images over a single shot macro lens at small apertures.

Jeff Kingston wrote:

Won't bore with all the details, but until now I have used a 5DMkIII with the fabulous TSE-90 mm lens. The beauty of this lens is that the tilt feature aids getting better depth of field. I shoot with three flashes and have found f13 combined with the tilt gives me very good depth of field (under the time pressure of the show do not have time
...Show more

Jun 28, 2015 at 04:27 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5Dsr and watch macros

I would not worry about it. Even if you get diffraction at 100% view there is going to be a lot more detail on the 5DSR file compared to the 5D3 file.

+1

But Jeff, you don't say how large you really need the images. That is the key factor.

If you make a 19 x 13 inch print from both cameras, you will see the same amount of diffraction effects at the same aperture, for example f/13 or f/16. In fact, you will generally find it difficult to tell the two apart since you have lots of controlled light in making your photographs.

If you wish to blow up the images to (say) 30 x 20 inches, then the 5DS file will be considerably more detailed. But that detail will be more prone to diffraction. At f/13, some of that detail will be softened slightly.

When you say 200%, is that for you or for customers? Are you printing or only showing images on tablets / monitors? How big are the dimensions you show them at?

Jun 28, 2015 at 04:53 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5Dsr and watch macros

dhachey wrote:
Why don't you like focus stacking? Other than time and hassle,

The OP wrote that the time and hassle make it impossible for him in his situation. It is there for you to read.

Jun 28, 2015 at 04:54 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5Dsr and watch macros

Jeff, this 5 page thread on the 5DS/R and diffraction is still only half way down the first index page: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1371725

You'll find some good discussion and some references and links.

Executive summary: diffraction effects are a product of aperture primarily and lens departure from perfection secondarily. Sensor size or pixel (sensel) size do not affect diffraction. However, if you look at different sensors at 100 % (or 200 % in your case), you will see diffraction at larger apertures (smaller f/numbers) on smaller sensels, only because they are enlarged more.

Jun 28, 2015 at 05:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5Dsr and watch macros

Monito wrote:
Jeff, this 5 page thread on the 5DS/R and diffraction is still only half way down the first index page: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1371725

You'll find some good discussion and some references and links.

Executive summary: diffraction effects are a product of aperture primarily and lens departure from perfection secondarily. Sensor size or pixel (sensel) size do not affect diffraction. However, if you look at different sensors at 100 % (or 200 % in your case), you will see diffraction at larger apertures (smaller f/numbers) on smaller sensels, only because they are enlarged more.

+1 @ ^

Jun 28, 2015 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.