New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need to updgrad PP Software - Advice please

jake14mw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need to updgrad PP Software - Advice please

Hi everyone,

I hope I can get some good advice for my situation. I am an amatuer photographer although I do get paid for some senior photo shoots. Frankly, my post processing skills are pretty poor. I currently have a Dell Inpsiron 530 desktop with Vista, Lightroom 3, PS Elements 6. I shoot mostly jpg. For my normal daily shooting, many times I just make some quick changes in Picasa because I find it so intutive and straight forward, and quick. Recently, Elements stopped opening for me. I tried to re-install it, but it seems the disc is bad. So that prompted me to think it was time for an upgrade.

I was looking to upgrade to the current version of Elements 13, but it seems it can't be used with Vista. So, then I thought that maybe I should go with the Cloud monthly subscription? I'm a budget concious person, so comitting to a monthly program, especially where I won't understand or use 5% of the functionality of it seems maybe not the smartest route. Can I even do the monthly method with Vista?

What is the negative of TRYING the monthly route? If I get 4 months in and decide it's not worth it, would I lose abilities to access my edits?

I'm honestly overwhelmed just even trying to figure this out. Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.

Jun 28, 2015 at 09:41 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need to updgrad PP Software - Advice please

If you are interested in the "politics" of choosing the subscription model over the "ownership" model, there are some other threads (probably lower on page one of the forum) where you can read a lot of diverse opinions on that issue.

(Here is one recent thread, if you are so inclined.)

Since you asked the "four months in" question, a potential negative there is that you lose access to the software at the point you stop your subscription. (Sort of like what happened to you with your copy of Elements, but more abruptly.)

You could opt for a standalone copy of Lightroom for now as your test case.

I notice your point about not understanding or using more than 5% of the functionality of CC. Looked at another way, perhaps access to that 5% is so critical that it is worth it?

Finally, I'm not a Windows person... but perhaps someone who is will step in and make a comment about the suitability of your hardware and OS for running current versions of Adobe software.

Good luck.

Dan

Jun 28, 2015 at 09:56 AM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need to updgrad PP Software - Advice please

I believe the latest version of PSE that will work with Vista is 11, which is what I have on my Vista machine. You didn't mention what camera(s) you use, however. I use PSE11 for my images from my Canon 50D, 7D, 5DIII and SL1.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:14 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need to updgrad PP Software - Advice please

if elements 13 wnt work on vista then I seriously doubt CC ( PS or LR) will work on vista either .
I know that the latest stuff HAS to be on 64bit OS (is your vista 64bit? )

is there a valid reason your still on vista ? win10 comes out very soon and is pretty much better than anything previous (I've tried the developer builds and even early ones are better than win 8) .
I know upgrades from win7 and win8 are free in the first year at least but there seems be ways of getting upgraded even if you don't have either of those .

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:21 AM
jake14mw
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need to updgrad PP Software - Advice please

Thanks for the replies. My camera are a Pentax K-5 iis and Pentax K-01. My Vista is 64 bit. No, there is no reason I am on Vista, just never upgraded.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:25 AM
jancohen
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need to updgrad PP Software - Advice please

Photoshop Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6/Photoshop CC 2015 system requirements

Windows
Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1

That's from their requirements pages for the latest available versions.

Jun 28, 2015 at 07:39 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need to updgrad PP Software - Advice please

From experience with four Vista machines, I've upgraded them all to Windows 7 and have been happier. Not Windows 8. Windows 7 is the way to go for the hardware you have, and for the post processing software you are considering.

I bought six licenses of Windows 7 when Windows 8 was announced. Check your local friends, eBay, craigs, and other online sources to score a licensed copy of Windows 7, as well as shrink wrapped older versions of PP software.

i totally understand your post and point of view. There is no point in paying a subscription fee for what you will never use. It is certainly possible to get done what you want to get done, for much less cost, with legacy versions of hardware and software.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:32 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need to updgrad PP Software - Advice please

Frankly, if you are happy with LR3 and PS Elements, i would suggest you continue with LR3 and upgrade to the latest version of PSE you can. With your current hardware i wouldn't recommend upgrading to LR6, as LR4-LR6 require a lot more CPU horsepower than LR3.

Your OS is a problem though, and given the age of your computer, i'm not sure that just upgrading to Win 7 is the best option. I would suggest trying to find a bit more money and upgrading the whole PC. This would give you Win8 intrinsically (win 10 if you wait a few months), and would also make it feasible to run a later version of Lightroom and newer PSE.

The Adobe CC model has been beaten to death and out the other side on these forums now, so i won't comment on that beyond saying that the photographers package is economically comparable to the old model *IF* you want both LR and full Photoshop. If you only want LR it doesn't make so much sense. So if you are comfortable with PSE, then standalone versions of LR6 and PSE will give you everything you want, and you won't have to worry about losing editing capability.

Jun 29, 2015 at 05:58 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.