Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · EF200/2 and focus speed on various bodies?

WebDog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EF200/2 and focus speed on various bodies?

Would there be a noticable improvement in AF lock-in speed using a 1D body vs. the 5D Mk3? I am not talking about how the AF is actually calculated/processed by the camera body.

It seems to me with the amount of glass to be moved, the 5D3 lacks oomph to do it quickly... in fact I find the 70-200/2,8IS2 reacts faster (and the 135/2 seems like instant). Would a modern 1D with its beefier battery handle the weight faster? I have only an ageing 1D2 with poor batteries... so not so sure it would be a fair test vs the 5D Mk3.

How I would love the 200/2 to be as fast as the 135

Jun 27, 2015 at 05:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EF200/2 and focus speed on various bodies?

The battery is not relevant (as long as its more-or-less fully charged). Some cameras drive lenses faster than other cameras. Generally, the 1D-series cameras drive lenses fastest. That's why they're "1".

Testing the 1DII vs. 5DIII would show you how the AF on the 1DII compares with the 5DIII. There's no "fair". It is what it is. OTOH, if you have poor batts, then you should get new ones before doing a comparison test.

My 200/1.8L and 500/4L IS are very fast on my 6D. They're even faster on my 1DX and 1DIV. It's not the batteries, it's the AF systems.

Jun 27, 2015 at 06:46 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EF200/2 and focus speed on various bodies?

jcolwell wrote:
It's not the batteries, it's the AF systems.

Some day Jim, some day the lights will turn on in all attics in the town

Jun 27, 2015 at 08:32 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EF200/2 and focus speed on various bodies?

Thanks for the reply....
But question remains unanswered... my gut feeling is that the EF200/2 do take longer time to focus (drive the glass) than the 135/2 or the 70-200/2,8ISMk2. BTW IS turned off, and range switch set to reduced range.

The 5D Mk3 HAD an issue early on and the lens was recalled by Canon to allow it to be used with the 5D3.

Lenses do have their motor inside, but need the power from camera, if I understand you Jim correctly, the 5D battery is just as capable to drive the motor as the larger batttery in 1D-series (not talking capacity though)

Jun 28, 2015 at 01:58 AM
stuarty
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EF200/2 and focus speed on various bodies?

Tough dilema....
U know u realy need a 1dx....😀
135mm on the 5d
200mm/2 on the 1dx
70_200 in the buy and sell

Jun 28, 2015 at 02:36 AM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EF200/2 and focus speed on various bodies?

I need the 1Dx like a hole in my head

Seriously, I did some test this morning, and the 1D2 may drive the focus motor a bit faster, still not by a large margin. Difficult to measure this though. Not sure why I had the sluggish response yesterday, I have to try it today again.

Had forgotten how nice the 8.5 frames/sec sounds like when I pressed the shutter of my 1D2 it really needs to see more action.

Trying to shoot at the National Dog Agility Championships, but it is really tough this year. Very compact courses, making it difficult to find a clear view, and the sun creating very hard contrast. But I guess this separates boys from men... right now I'm like a toddler Seriously out of pratice.

Jun 28, 2015 at 04:03 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EF200/2 and focus speed on various bodies?

WebDog wrote:
... if I understand you Jim correctly, the 5D battery is just as capable to drive the motor as the larger batttery in 1D-series (not talking capacity though)

Yes, that's the message. Any difference in lens AF between cameras is due to the camera's capability to instruct the lens what to do (i.e. where to put the point of focus); both in terms of how quickly the camera instructions are issued and how accurate they are.

Differences in AF performance between different lenses on the same camera are caused by many different factors, including: the type of AF motor, the motor's torque and power, the mass of the internal components that are moved for AF, and the distance the internal components are moved. For example, when my 200/1.8L focuses, the AF motor only moves a few of the internal optical elements, it doesn't have to move all of those awesomely heavy optical elements.

WebDog wrote:
Thanks for the reply....
But question remains unanswered... my gut feeling is that the EF200/2 do take longer time to focus (drive the glass) than the 135/2 or the 70-200/2,8ISMk2.

The 135/2L and 70-200/2.8 L IS II both have very fast AF. The 200/1.8L is heavier and has slightly slower AF. The 500/4L IS is heavier and has slightly faster AF than the 200/1.8L. The 50/1.8 II is a lot lighter and a lot slower than just about any other EF lens. The weight of the lens doesn't determine how fast its AF performs. I'm confident that the 200/2L IS could have faster AF than the 135/2L and 70-200/2.8L IS II, if Canon put a more powerful AF motor in the 200/2L IS; OTOH, it would be even heavier and more expensive than it is now.

Jun 28, 2015 at 07:46 AM
stuarty
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EF200/2 and focus speed on various bodies?

For shooting dog agility you have tough choice..
135mm on the 1d mk2 and the 200mm on the 5d
Similar length.
In good light I would take the 1d and the 135mm.
Far lighter ,still a focuses like a demon.more important for me very little shutter lag.
Add a 1.4 ext still a good combo
But the 200mm is my favourite lens full stop...but sold it none the less...
Still use a 1dmk2 and 135mm for the dogs pictures mibbes just a tad long but I've always filled the frame to much..the 5d and the 135mm will probably be where I end up when the shutter goes on the mk2...
Personaly take one lens out and just shoot to get your eye in .
Just take a round or to just tracking and framing shots but doent fire the the shutter.

Personaly I like the back buttons set for focus
With the center point set on one and all points set on the other.
Surprising how the processing brings out the details in the fur. Found more keepers after reviewing my processing .And making a preset in lightroom
Goodluck post some pics regardless

Jun 28, 2015 at 09:49 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.