New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mixing Lightroom edits /catalogues

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mixing Lightroom edits /catalogues

OK now that we have 2 current versions of Lightroom ( LR 6 & CC) its got me thinking possible implications and incompatibility problems .

Previously with LR5 you could take an LRcat file and either the raw file or the smart preview onto another machine with LR5 (even if that LR5 was not registered to you) and you could carry on working with those files .
Ive done this on numerous occasions , usually my 2nd copy (which still wouldn't be an issue as I can have 2 LR CC's ) or someone else machine .

but Now if I have LR CC and my friend has LR6 would we still be able to use the others machine/Lightroom ? or do the Catalogues become incompatable?

and an even deeper question (assuming you can) does anyone know what happens if you have a file thats had some LR only stuff applied ? IE Dehaze .

Jun 27, 2015 at 03:00 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mixing Lightroom edits /catalogues

Ian, already Lr 5 will not open an Lr CC catalogue and sooner or later the same will happen with Lr 6 - if not already, but I doubt that it has happened yet. Before long a choice will be required about whether to go with the cloud version or stick with Lr 6, unless they offer us a stand-alone Lr 7 in future. It will become impossible to use an Lr CC catalogue and be able to convert it back to an earlier version. Perhaps you'll be able to use individual .xmp files or .dng files in the older versions of Lr.

In the meantime, it might pay to update Lr 5 to Lr 6 or just relegate it to archive status now, along with its old catalogues.

- Alan

Jun 28, 2015 at 04:10 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mixing Lightroom edits /catalogues

Alan I'm aware you can't open LR6/cc cats onto LR5 .

also if we do get LR7 in the future I get the feeling that we would also get a big reset of LR CC . a bit like PS CC has had twice . (original Ps CC the 2014 CC and now 2015 CC)

its more a question that now we have 2 current versions of LR in play moving from 1 to another could be an issue .

maybe it wouldn't . I may have to try an load LR6 trial (can you just trial LR6? ) and have a look .

Jun 28, 2015 at 05:07 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mixing Lightroom edits /catalogues

Ian,
You've raised a compelling and troubling question here, one that I've given a bit of thought to as I continue to resist mafiaware but find myself increasingly hemmed in.

In theory a raw file is a raw file. It is catholic (note small c.) If Adobe ACR has been updated to support the camera, it should be a no brainer - BUT. It's technically possible to tie a CC program to a particular camera(s). Every raw file has a unique camera identifier embed in it. The ID is deep in the exif and none of us bother to notice it, but Lr for example (and Ps) could require the software owner to "register" his/her camera(s) with their program either by connecting to the computer or demanding the ID or there are several ways to do it.

In this case if you took the raw from your camera to someone else's copy of Lr it could be set to reject opening it because it isn't associated with that copy's registered IDs. No doubt such a policy would engender incredible outrage from photographers. I suspect even our most ardent Adobe shills - say Chez - would have a hard time spinning this into something good for users. But wait how about the effect on users? Well, I haven't noticed Adobe demonstrating much concern for its users.

It is of course possible to export Lr files as TIFFs that theoretically can be dealt with by a variety of software and OS. Again, while I'm not intimately familiar with the TIFF standard, I suspect it wouldn't be hard to insert an ID header to get a similar result. As for virtual copies, it would be trivial to limit them only to the registed software that creates them.

So it is entirely possible - at least technically - for Adobe to pull such a trick.

I find it funny (as in ironic, not "ha ha") that the two biggest reasons Adobe gave for going to the subscription model were (1) to combat piracy, and (2) "…provide a continuous stream of improvement thus not forcing users to wait for major upgrades." (The whole tax thing was cooked up later to quell dissent. It was NEVER mentioned in the early selling of CC.) Well, piracy is alive and well. They cracked Adobe's protection even before it went to market and has continued to defeat Adobe's efforts to make it harder. "Continuous Improvement?" Am I the only one who has noticed CC2014 and now CC2015? And the fact that each had several supposedly significant improvements that obviously weren't streamed immediately to subscribers?

It bothers me to say it, but Ian, you may well prove to be a prophet.

Robert

Jun 28, 2015 at 08:58 AM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mixing Lightroom edits /catalogues

The underlying database engine in LR is the SQLite database engine (www.sqlite.org), which means the lrcat file is actually a sqlite database file. There are numerous ways to access the contents of a sqlite database file. For example, you could write a program to systematically retrieve all the contents from all the tables of a lrcat file. You could write the same contents back to the respective tables in another lrcat file.

I just did some quick testing and found out there are 95 individual tables in a lrcat file. I used some sample code I got from somewhere (either from the sqlite website or from a book on sqlite, can’t remember), modified the code, and retrieved the table names. This tells me the same procedures for manipulating a sqlite database file will work with the lrcat file. Of course, Adobe could have added something that would make these manipulations difficult.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:36 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mixing Lightroom edits /catalogues

OK guys I have my work laptop with me here .

does anyone know if there is a lightroom 6 (not CC) trial ? I've done a quick look thru adobe but keep getting pointed to CC (which I already have)

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:47 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mixing Lightroom edits /catalogues

well it appears that you can't trial LR6 (only CC) I found there is a way to serialise LR CC to LR6 (by signing out of the CC trial and launching LR again) but it then wants a genuine serial only , where before (lr5 )you could enter a serial or continue trial .

Oh well nice try .

if I find someone with LR6 on their machine I'll give it a go .

Jun 28, 2015 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.