New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · MacBook Pro AppleCare

pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MacBook Pro AppleCare

Hi everyone, I want to ask your opinion on getting AppleCare on a new MacBook Pro (refurbished).

I purchased one of these: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FGX92LL/A/Refurbished-133-inch-MacBook-Pro-28GHz-Dual-core-Intel-i5-with-Retina-Display and have about 30 days of Telephone Care left and warranty until May 2016.

I just got an email from Apple reminding me to get AppleCare for the MBP.

I normally do not purchase extended warranties, but was wondering if I should with the MBP.

What is your opinion?

Thanks and regards.....Pete

Jun 27, 2015 at 02:43 PM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MacBook Pro AppleCare

Short answer is "Yes".

Long answer: I bought a 13" MacBook Pro Retina of late-2013 build from B&H. It crashed hard on the third day, and became unbootable a few days later. Item was new old stock, not refurb. In this case, B&H made good by shipping a replacement (at lightning speed, I might add). After it works for awhile, this replacement is getting AppleCare to ensure Apple is responsible for any further flakiness.

Even though my work MBPr 15" of the same vintage was error free for 2+ years, I expect and accept a lower grade of hardware QC from Apple in order to enjoy the feature set. I guess we can blame Foxconn manufacturing. Sadly, I can't run OSX on my Panasonic Toughbooks: four models, zero failures, all operational, 10-years old for the oldest.

What a real laptop looks like!

Jun 28, 2015 at 01:12 AM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MacBook Pro AppleCare

I just bought the 15" macbook pro for my daughter from adorama when they had it on special. I did not buy the AppleCare warranty on that and chose the extended warranty plan offered by Adorama through New Leaf (price about the same). You may be able to buy the extended warranty separately from Adorama on your macbook pro - even though it is a refurb (especially since it comes with 1 yr warranty from Apple to begin with)

For me, there are 2 main reasons for choosing this option - 1) Applecare is only 3 yrs in total vs 5 yrs for New Leaf; 2) Applecare does not cover accidental damages while New Leaf does. Additionally, I also found out that you can bring your mac into the store for consultation with the genius bar free of charge even though it is already out of warranty.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:02 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MacBook Pro AppleCare

rico wrote:
Item was new old stock, not refurb.

If it was new old stock, you still had the full one-year warranty from Apple anyway. Their system will initially estimate the purchase date based on the manufacture date, but if you email/upload a scan of your receipt to their system or take it to the Apple Store, they'll reset the in-service date to your purchase date. Then you get a year from that date.

That said, it depends on how long you plan to keep the machine. AppleCare for the computers doesn't cover accidental damage and most hardware nowadays either dies relatively quickly or after a LONG time so I generally skip it. If you need a lot of phone support, it's probably worth it though.

Jun 29, 2015 at 04:21 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MacBook Pro AppleCare

well, i'm rolling along as the 2nd (?) user of a MBP 17" I got several years ago from a guy on this site whose initials are FM. Of course, as soon as I say this, it'll go belly-up. Upgraded RAM to max, added 512 GB OWC flash drive and it just sings. No need for Apple Care.

Jun 29, 2015 at 04:48 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MacBook Pro AppleCare

Definitely get AppleCare for a laptop, and I'd recommend it for any new Mac. I've gotten AppleCare for every Mac I've bought. Apple just replaced a failed harddrive on a friend's MacBook Pro at the very end of the AppleCare period - and in 2006 gave me a new Mac when the optical drive failed on my year-old unit and couldn't be fixed. It's also a hand-holder for neophyte Mac users who can't easily find answers to questions about the system.

Jul 29, 2015 at 03:52 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MacBook Pro AppleCare

Picked up a 2 year SquareTrade warranty with my new rMB. Same protection plus covers accidental damages. Found a 30% or $30 off coupon (just "like" them on Facebook) making it $179. I'm sure AppleCare is great but the accidental protection is what swayed me. There is a $75 deductible or you can pay an additional $80 and get a zero deductible.

3 year warranty would have been $299 but I doubt I keep it over 2 years.

Jul 30, 2015 at 07:18 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.