FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · need LP-E6 recommendation

mthowell

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · need LP-E6 recommendation

wayne seltzer wrote:
Anybody used Watson batteries?

I use one that was part of a kit that came with my 7D II purchase from B&H. It works reasonably well. charges in the Canon charger and you can get the battery info. No real issues.

Jun 30, 2015 at 03:30 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · need LP-E6 recommendation

Phottix

Jun 30, 2015 at 03:30 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · need LP-E6 recommendation

eddieb wrote:
Wasabi. Never had any negative issues.

My luck has been varied. We have had good luck with Wasabi batteries for the Fujifilm XE1. Our luck with Wasabi batteries for the 5DII has been not so swell — the batteries do not seem to hold as great of a charge.

I need reliable batteries. I get Canons.

Jun 30, 2015 at 05:32 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · need LP-E6 recommendation

The stories about bad STK batteries are troubling. I've never had any issues with them, however, and they perform as well / better than Canon batteries.

Jun 30, 2015 at 06:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · need LP-E6 recommendation

The 3rd party batteries and components are more likely to come from a variety different suppliers as market conditions change.

EBH

Jun 30, 2015 at 06:14 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · need LP-E6 recommendation

I've never intentionally purchased the knock-off brand batteries, but I've occasionally bought used cameras that came with third-party batteries purchased by the original owner. None of them have ever worked particularly well, and many won't even charge in a Canon charger.

I've never had an issue with Canon batteries, and if you shop around you can frequently find them for close to the same price as the knock-offs.

Jul 03, 2015 at 09:05 AM
JimLittle
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · need LP-E6 recommendation

STK have worked well for me.

Jul 03, 2015 at 09:46 AM
Alex Nail
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · need LP-E6 recommendation

I have also used lots of brands of third party batteries but in long term use they do not compare to the Canon batteries

Jul 03, 2015 at 10:52 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · need LP-E6 recommendation

Several posts herein mentioned that the Wasabi batteries have diminished capacity. I have one Wasabi battery and in my experience, the diminished capacity might have come from charging it on a Canon charger, especially a newer one.

Charged on my 5DIII Canon charger, the Wasabi outlasts the original Canon battery by a long shot, having had higher capacity. But if I charge it using the 7DII charger, despite the green indication, the battery is not fully charged. No such problem charging the real Canon battery.
Canon must have put some logic in the more recent chargers to detect non-OEM battery. This might explain why Wasabi starts selling their batteries bundled with their own chargers.

Jul 03, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · need LP-E6 recommendation

diverhank wrote:
Several posts herein mentioned that the Wasabi batteries have diminished capacity. I have one Wasabi battery and in my experience, the diminished capacity might have come from charging it on a Canon charger, especially a newer one.

Charged on my 5DIII Canon charger, the Wasabi outlasts the original Canon battery by a long shot, having had higher capacity. But if I charge it using the 7DII charger, despite the green indication, the battery is not fully charged. No such problem charging the real Canon battery.
Canon must have put some logic in the more recent chargers to detect non-OEM battery. This
...Show more

Well, that may be true. However, I use an ancient charger that shipped with my 2008 5D MKII and my STK still doesn't last as long as the OEM LP-E6.

Jul 03, 2015 at 12:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · need LP-E6 recommendation

Typically Canon makes products to be compatible with their own products and the 3rd party products have to reverse engineer theirs. Other than the camera looking for the Canon code to identify it as OEM.

Why would the Wasabi battery have significantly more capacity that the Canon battery? How did you test it?

EBH

Jul 03, 2015 at 01:04 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · need LP-E6 recommendation

When I was a pro, I used only Canon OEM batteries. They were fantastic.

If I was using one camera for a longish time, like 2-3 years, I would buy at least 1 extra OEM as a spare. Then maybe fill in with Wasabi as "extra" batteries for backup.

+++

I have been "playing" with a lot of different cameras in the past year. Buying cameras when I can get a good deal to try them out and learn about different brands, and then re-selling them after a few months if they aren't a great fit for my needs.

I have been buying Wasabi for those, especially for the mirrorless cameras where I can kill a battery in 2-3 hours in some cases (my Sony A6000.) The Wasabi seem to lose a fair amount of power if left in the camera for a couple of days with no use. They will be down to 70% or 80% from just sitting, so I swap out to a fresh battery before I go out. They also seem to have slightly less capacity in actual use than the Sony battery. But 2 of the Wasabi with a charger (which Sony doesn't provide with the camera) still only cost 1/2 as much as a Sony OEM battery. I could buy 4 of the Wasabi for the the cost of 1 Sony OEM. Crazy.

So, YMMV, depending on how critical your work is, which camera, and the cost of the OEM battery.

I have standardize on the Wasabi after reading that it was recommended by about 60% to 70% of the people posting here in various forums. I have had some absolutely terrible non-OEM batteries. I think they were Flashpoint for the Canon EOS M.

Good luck!

Jul 03, 2015 at 02:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · need LP-E6 recommendation

I bought four of the Wasabi batteries and two chargers for the Sony A7r since the batteries are so tiny and the camera sucks them dry frequently. The chargers are cheaply made and the plate keeps detaching when the battery is removed, so some tape was needed to hold them together. I was not able to test the capacity, but it seemed to be similar to the Sony. The 3rd party suppliers typically make up some ridiculous mAh value, so you cannot trust that.

EBH

Jul 03, 2015 at 02:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.