Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

pinholecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

I'm one who will be happy enough for 24mp, but who am I to determine what is being chosen.
So not much of a choice but to buy what is offered.
For me as an enthusiast who prints up to A3+, 42mp is overkill though I can see the potential of downsampling for cleaner looking files and perhaps the ability to crop for new photo angles/framing while having enough mp to still print big.

The comment on not having enough lenses is certainly not true.
Pentax certainly has more FF lenses right off than Sony did for A7 at launch or even Fuji X for the aps-c at launch.

Very quick list :
FA31/1.8 ltd
FA43/1.9 ltd
FA77/1.8 ltd
DFA WR 100/2.8 macro
FA35/2
FA50/1.4
DA*200/2.8
DA*300/4
DA*60-250
DA560
DA70-200/2.8
DA150-450

Many listed are nice and smallish, which is a unique point with Pentax stuff.

Arguable list (which have been tested on film or MILC like A7/r with some IQ loss wide open on the corners)
DA35/2.4
DA50/1.8
DA70 ltd
DA*55/1.4 (very nice on A7, I've seen the o/p myself; at least in the portrait context)

So what is obviously missing are the wides and ultra wides.
28mm and wide.

I'd also rather buy new WA and UWA than press old ones into service anyway given the improvements on them nowadays over legacy options.
The Pentax roadmap indicates a wide fast zoom, so it seems it will have to be released near the launch of the FF to cover up the lens gap for a UWA.

Of course there is the Samyang 14/2.8 too, which is no slouch at a cheap price.

Jun 29, 2015 at 02:14 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

FA 20/2.8 and FA 28/2.8 AL are also still available in some markets, so the wides are (kinda) covered. The 20 is competitive and the 28 is one of the two best AF 28/2.8's ever done in an SLR mount (the Canon IS being the sole competition for good AF SLR 28/2.8)

Jun 29, 2015 at 08:32 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

mawz wrote:
FA 20/2.8 and FA 28/2.8 AL are also still available in some markets, so the wides are (kinda) covered. The 20 is competitive and the 28 is one of the two best AF 28/2.8's ever done in an SLR mount (the Canon IS being the sole competition for good AF SLR 28/2.8)

Interesting as I did not realize (until your post) that the FA 28/2.8 was different optically than the earlier F 28/2.8 (which is rated well but I found just average). Might have to try one just for kicks.

Jun 29, 2015 at 03:08 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Interesting as I did not realize (until your post) that the FA 28/2.8 was different optically than the earlier F 28/2.8 (which is rated well but I found just average). Might have to try one just for kicks.

It was a complete redesign with Aspherics. Definitely improved over the F (which is really the mediocre M/A optical design)

Jun 29, 2015 at 03:50 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

mawz wrote:
It was a complete redesign with Aspherics. Definitely improved over the F (which is really the mediocre M/A optical design)

Interesting info.
I better look out for one.

Jun 29, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

freaklikeme wrote:
I thought Sony wanted the 42 all to themselves for a few months post a7rII release.

Apparently they do that with any sensor they use in their own cameras.

Now that there's news they're stepping back from consumer products and focusing more on the sensor OEM business I suspect that might change somewhat. And their current rules that they won't bother talking to you unless you can place a massive order - such that even Leica had to go to CMOSIS, and forget about someone like Blackmagic getting to use a modern sensor - might change somewhat to.

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:20 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Ricoh ends up doing. The difference between 36 and 42MP's would not sway me for instance ...

All else being equal, no doubt. Once we see more from the A7rII, if it turns out the 42mp is way better per-pixel, I wonder if that would change your opinion?

(I'm still one of the people happy with 24, fwiw)

Jul 02, 2015 at 01:39 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

Lee Saxon wrote:
All else being equal, no doubt. Once we see more from the A7rII, if it turns out the 42mp is way better per-pixel, I wonder if that would change your opinion?

(I'm still one of the people happy with 24, fwiw)

It would sway my opinion if it were better at the pixel level but I don't know how that is really possible since it's still bayer-based color interpolation. With a great lens, I don't really see any difference in any of the modern bayer based sensors at the pixel level for instance. I think that would require some sort of true color sensor tech which does not rely on color interpolation.

Jul 02, 2015 at 07:41 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

Lee Saxon wrote:
Apparently they do that with any sensor they use in their own cameras.

Now that there's news they're stepping back from consumer products and focusing more on the sensor OEM business I suspect that might change somewhat. And their current rules that they won't bother talking to you unless you can place a massive order - such that even Leica had to go to CMOSIS, and forget about someone like Blackmagic getting to use a modern sensor - might change somewhat to.

I don't know how much, if any, truth there is in it but I read a rumor recently that Sony was "shopping around" their consumer camera business. Now that would be shocking if it came to pass. One could argue I suppose that one of the reasons Sony has more recently invested so much in the E-mount (and is, for instance, attempting to raise the selling MSRP on say the A7rII and come out with more expensive lenses) is to bolster the marketability of their consumer camera business. Farming out repair and reducing operating costs also could be seen as a short term bolster to the bottom line (long term it might not make so much sense). hmm.

Jul 02, 2015 at 07:48 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

It would sway my opinion if it were better at the pixel level but I don't know how that is really possible since it's still bayer-based color interpolation. With a great lens, I don't really see any difference in any of the modern bayer based sensors at the pixel level for instance. I think that would require some sort of true color sensor tech which does not rely on color interpolation.

Well apparently the BSI sensors push the photosites further forward on the sensor where the collect more light and from wider angles, so that is a change in sensor tech though not nearly as revolutionary a change as some kind of true color tech would be (which is where we must be going eventually, I agree). I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much until we see more detailed results, but that might at the very least lessen the problems with rangefinder lenses.

Jul 02, 2015 at 03:26 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pentax ff with 42mp Sony sensor?

Lee Saxon wrote:
Well apparently the BSI sensors push the photosites further forward on the sensor where the collect more light and from wider angles, so that is a change in sensor tech though not nearly as revolutionary a change as some kind of true color tech would be (which is where we must be going eventually, I agree). I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much until we see more detailed results, but that might at the very least lessen the problems with rangefinder lenses.

The reduction of sensitivity to telecentricity is the real win with large BSI sensors since it will improve performance with wide-angle lenses, the improvement in fill factor is not really noticeable (it's less than 1/2 stop on a 1" sensor, much less on FF).

Jul 04, 2015 at 02:14 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.