New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Studio Shot, C&C

Awasos23
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Studio Shot, C&C

I just got my first set of studio lights (Adorama had a 50% off sale on Elinchrom stuff a few weeks ago) and a background stand. Photographed a friend of mine that is very active in the martial arts still at age 72. Hope I'm that spry in four decades!! Here's the shot. C&C welcome and wanted. 2 lights off camera, second light set 1.5 stops lower than the main. First light high and towards the back, second low and more to the front on the opposite side.

Thanks for any thoughts you have to share.

Jun 26, 2015 at 02:02 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Studio Shot, C&C

I like this a bunch....although you may have clipped the hilites up around the head and shoulder area...

Jun 26, 2015 at 02:19 PM
Puffin Runner
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Studio Shot, C&C

Nice job, Eric. This is a great setup for a masculine subject (or at least for a masculine image ). If or when you try your hand a feminine setups, move the lights closer to the subject -- WAY closer to the subject -- and you'll get a softer treatment.

Jun 26, 2015 at 03:58 PM
Awasos23
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Studio Shot, C&C

Thanks. Yes they clipped just a tiny bit; I think I could pull them back a bit more but I liked how the image looked so left it as is.

Puffin- Thank you. Excellent advice that I will be putting to use on Wednesday when I photograph a local artist in her studio. I'm used to working with an SB900 and SB800 off camera with my nikons, but I'm really enjoying the Elinchroms when I have access to power.

Jun 26, 2015 at 07:50 PM
Awasos23
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Studio Shot, C&C

Here's another image from the shoot; This fellow just won a championship match in a NY MMA fight.

Jun 26, 2015 at 08:03 PM
ChibiM

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Studio Shot, C&C

I have no personal experience with studio lighting, but the second picture has something that caught my attention. its the shadow on his right eye (left for us).

If that would be eliminated, I think its even better!
just my idea.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:30 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Studio Shot, C&C

that's the problem with this kind of cross lighting, there's generally an area of shadow somewhere on the front. Not really a problem on the body but it works better if the head turns towards the nearer light.

Jun 27, 2015 at 04:06 PM
Awasos23
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Studio Shot, C&C

That's a good point for the future, thanks Ian. Do you think a reflector would help as well?

Jun 29, 2015 at 07:52 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.