Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( pl...

sciuro

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

Hi folks,

So this happened (as always) just suddenly. I was taking photos on a first day of my Scotland trip with a D600 when I heard that krrr sound, and that was it
Now, I did all usual hand waving, replaced a lens etc etc - nothing. When without lens attached, I can see the mirror gets stuck 1/3 way down. If in Mirror-up mode, on the first click the mirror goes up, on a second click it goes down 1/3 and gets stuck, the third click brings it down as usual - so it's not physically stuck completely.

The worst thing is that I am travelling - I am at a conference here in Glasgow till Wednesday, and then I was going for a long planned vacation in the Scottish Highlands. Already stopped by the certified repair shop in Glasgow, they said they would send it to Nikon for 2 weeks for me - so not an option for me, I'd rather go home to Boston and deal with it from there...

Any home-made solutions? ideas? I took a quick video to show what it looks like if I press the shutter button consequently three times:

https://instagram.com/p/4ZZm3LtWB1/

HELP! My vacation is going down the drain

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:14 AM
danh920
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

Sorry to hear this. I havent the first clue on getting into the mechanics.

If I was there though and I had 5 days until the "real" vacation began, I'd be searching frantically for a rental body, go a craigslist route, or even drop some cash on amazon prime and get a body there asap. Especially if its a once in a lifetime trip for you.

Hopefully someone else can give you a fix or much more cost effective solution

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:36 AM
InlawBiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

Yah if I couldn't fix it myself by fiddling with the mechanism I'd head to a used camera shop and pick up a camera body pronto. You can always sell it again when you get home.

Greg.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:38 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

Bummer. The mirror assembly looks shot, not something to be repaired without the right tools. You should be able to find a D610 or similar over there.

I always bring three bodies for international travel, you never know what will happen.

EBH

Jun 26, 2015 at 08:58 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

Sorry to hear about that!

Yeah, pick up a used body. Find a used D700 if you can, but even a used D600 wouldn't cost that much. You for sure don't want to be there without a camera.

You are better off to spend $1000 on a used D600 then to buy a P&S for cheaper and end up with shots that are lacking in quality.

Jim

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:10 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

Everyone's recommending getting a used DSLR to use. I bought a new Sony RX 100 about 8 months ago and am amazed at how good the images are. And I got the RX 100 I version for around $ 429US. You could keep it when you get back to carry as a backup and it fits in your pocket or in a pouch on your belt.

Jun 28, 2015 at 06:09 AM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

He probably has a bunch of nikon lenses with him mate.

DaveOls wrote:
Everyone's recommending getting a used DSLR to use. I bought a new Sony RX 100 about 8 months ago and am amazed at how good the images are. And I got the RX 100 I version for around $ 429US. You could keep it when you get back to carry as a backup and it fits in your pocket or in a pouch on your belt.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

Slug69 wrote:
He probably has a bunch of nikon lenses with him mate.

You're probably right. Maybe he should look into a Nikon 1 V series.
camera with an adapter if he can find it there.

Jun 29, 2015 at 09:52 AM
sciuro

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

So... here's an update. After the first two days when I had not much time for photography anyway (as planned) my shutter spontaneously semi-recovered! Strangely enough, the major display is not showing any controls (the top display is fine and the playback function on the main display is fine too), but I can take pictures again. I got a backup Nikon body from one of my buddies that I plan to have around in case mine is sick again, but as of right now mine is very much usable.

I indeed have a whole bag of lenses that I wanted to use

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/e15/11357595_867077429994670_1661086459_n.jpg

PS I am "she", not "he", although for the purpose of this discussion it is not relevant )

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The ERR! Mirror/shutter problem on D600 on a first day of vacation :( please help!

Sorry about assuming that you were a "he". I'd like to see a breakdown of contributors to a forum like this by sex and age.
I hope most of the younger generation are not going to phone cameras.

Jun 29, 2015 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.