New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2015 · 500f4 v1 prices

jpeter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 500f4 v1 prices

I think the new offerings from Sigma and Tamron have driven down the Canon quite a bit. I put my 500 up for sale about 6 months ago for 5,000$ and got interest from a few people. I ended up getting cold feet and pulling the ad before I sold it.
Now I am re-tooling my wildlife setup and had the 500 up for sale for 3 weeks, with a dropping price. 4900 4600 4400 today I dropped it to $4300.

Hoping that 4300$ will do it. From what I have seen of the new 600's, they don't meet the 500 with a 1.4x tele in image quality. Serious money savings though.

I am going to try to go with a new 7d2 and 100-400v2 plus my 1.4x. for a bit more portability.

Think I am in the right ballpark with this price ?

JP

Edited on Jun 26, 2015 at 08:10 AM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2015 at 06:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 500f4 v1 prices

You can check eBay and camera store prices used lens prices in the Lens Price Database,

Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Jun 26, 2015 at 06:52 AM
jpeter
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 500f4 v1 prices

jcowell, I appreciate your efforts. I am below the prices in your db. Might have to update that one. Last few that sold on fm were for 4500-4900.

thx jay

Jun 26, 2015 at 08:13 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 500f4 v1 prices

eBay prices might be a bit higher than B&S, to cover the fees.

Jun 26, 2015 at 08:26 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 500f4 v1 prices

Speaking as someone in the market for a 500mm (actually I bought one on eBay but it's stuck in a customs/Japan Post mishap), I'm not sure how important the Sigma and Tamron are in driving the price down. They're so inferior to those Canon superteles it hardly bears comparison.

I think what's holding version I down is the fact that version II is so much lighter and that version I is too heavy to hand hold (apparently). So, even though I want 500mm I completely ignore version I, since I might as well buy a used 600mm if I have to use a tripod all the time anyway.

Jun 26, 2015 at 08:29 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 500f4 v1 prices

The 500 V1 has held its value and even appreciated for some when the VII came out. There has been a quite a few sold and the market might be a bit saturated as it isn't difficult to find the Ver1 for sale at most anytime you need one, it was just the opposite for awhile as people posted WTB's for them in the forum.

The comment that the Sigma and Tamron are so inferior is certainly a topic of debated as images of late with these lenses are certainly outstanding at the price point offered and comparing a lens for $1089 to one that is $10k is not really appropriate IMO.

Many people I know and including myself hand hold the 500 V1 successfully but it isn't for everyone. Lighter would be great but the new one is 'light' enough for most to want to hand hold either. Technique comes in to play with any long lens to get the most of what they have to offer.

If you look at the price of a used 400 DO being just under $3k right now the 500 V1 should likely fall into that $4000-4400 range of course just value as I see it. L glass seems to be a great investment when purchased used as it tends to have little to no depreciation after a year or two of ownership.

Good luck with your sale and I do personally feel that the new Sigma and Tamrons do influence this focal length market as it is a bit easier to justify a $1000 lens that has the reach then a $5-10k one that 'reaches' the same. I have owned several copies of the 500 V1, they all were outstanding, currently I picked up a Sigma 150-600 C and feel the value and build and files far surpass the low price and the light weight is surely a blessing over time for handholders like me.

Again, just my opinion from a great deal of experience.....
Karl

Jun 26, 2015 at 09:03 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 500f4 v1 prices

johnvanr wrote:
Speaking as someone in the market for a 500mm (actually I bought one on eBay but it's stuck in a customs/Japan Post mishap), I'm not sure how important the Sigma and Tamron are in driving the price down. They're so inferior to those Canon superteles it hardly bears comparison.

I think what's holding version I down is the fact that version II is so much lighter and that version I is too heavy to hand hold (apparently). So, even though I want 500mm I completely ignore version I, since I might as well buy a used 600mm if I have
...Show more

Of course the big whites will be always superior in IQ but the downside is the Price and Portability ,Sigma and Tamron is the second best because of Price and Portability the IQ ain't that bad for something that cost 4 to 5 times less, are the Big White picture's 4 to 5 times better ?? I don't think so !

....I reckon that is a Poor's man choice ,but I have seen picture's of Sigma's and Tamron on FM that are Very Good in IQ and cannot be dismissed due to the fact that they are Non White Len's ....

Francois

Jun 26, 2015 at 09:07 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 500f4 v1 prices

Even though I'm a big white supporter, there is no knocking the Sigma C when it comes to straight up IQ. Here it is on a similar subject vs the 300II

Jun 26, 2015 at 09:18 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 500f4 v1 prices

Restricting your sale to local transaction limits your market. Your $4,300 price seems reasonable but will put you at about $4,600, if you add shipping and Paypal cost to ship within the ConUS.

Your lens appears to be in excellent condition with no signs of battle scars. It may not be a bad idea to blow the dust off and retake the pictures especially the one showing the front element.

Good luck with your sale

Jun 26, 2015 at 09:40 AM
twodees
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 500f4 v1 prices

Curious statement and incorrect in my experience. Using the lenses bare there's nothing in it but the 600 II with vIII teleconverters produces slightly better images than the 500 I with vII or vIII tcs. The 500 I (+1.4x III) is MA'd for the 1DIV though neither lens (with or without tcs) needed MA on the 1DX.

jpeter wrote:
From what I have seen of the new 600's, they don't meet the 500 with a 1.4x tele in image quality.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:01 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 500f4 v1 prices

johnvanr wrote:
I think what's holding version I down is the fact that version II is so much lighter and that version I is too heavy to hand hold (apparently). So, even though I want 500mm I completely ignore version I, since I might as well buy a used 600mm if I have to use a tripod all the time anyway.

Bogus information! You certainly don't have to use a tripod all the time with a 500/4L IS Mk I. At least I don't and many others here on FM don't.

I prefer to shoot BIF with the 500/4L IS handheld (usually with IS off), as long as the B is close enough that I can track the subject with a smooth body rotation. If it's a bit further away so that the tracking motion gets 'slow', I'll use a monopod.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:19 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 500f4 v1 prices

jcolwell wrote:
Bogus information! You certainly don't have to use a tripod all the time with a 500/4L IS Mk I. At least I don't and many others here on FM don't.

To say that everyone can or can't handhold the 500 Mk I, is a ridiculous statement. It all depends on the person using it and how long one has to handhold it.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:30 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 500f4 v1 prices

Honestly, it takes a long time to sell a $4500ish item. You just have to be patient. It's not like selling a $600 canon 24-70 f4L that may people would be interested in.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:43 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 500f4 v1 prices

jcolwell wrote:

I prefer to shoot BIF with the 500/4L IS handheld (usually with IS off), as long as the B is close enough that I can track the subject with a smooth body rotation. If it's a bit further away so that the tracking motion gets 'slow', I'll use a monopod.

There's nothing bogus about it. The first part says 'apparently,' so it's based on what I've heard from owners of the Mark I but not presented as fact. The second part is my personal opinion after holding a V I this winter and deciding I wouldn't want to hand-hold it.

You might not agree, since you can handhold it, but that doesn't make it bogus info. It just differs from your own take.

Jun 26, 2015 at 05:20 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 500f4 v1 prices

qc_mountain wrote:

Of course the big whites will be always superior in IQ but the downside is the Price and Portability ,Sigma and Tamron is the second best because of Price and Portability the IQ ain't that bad for something that cost 4 to 5 times less, are the Big White picture's 4 to 5 times better ?? I don't think so !

....I reckon that is a Poor's man choice ,but I have seen picture's of Sigma's and Tamron on FM that are Very Good in IQ and cannot be dismissed due to the fact that they are Non
...Show more

I've used the Tamron and the Sigma Sport and found both fine when not taken to extremes in zoom range or aperture. So, yes, if you can live with those limitations, they're fine. But if you're looking for the ultimate image quality and the flexibility the Ls bring, they aren't real competition.

What would be real competiton would be a Canon L IS 500mm f/5.6 at $4000. I don't get why neither Canon nor Nikon produce such a lens.

Jun 26, 2015 at 05:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 500f4 v1 prices

jcolwell wrote:
Bogus information!

johnvanr wrote:
There's nothing bogus about it...

This following statement is bogus,

johnvanr wrote:
" the fact that ...and that version I is too heavy to hand hold".

It might make you feel better to express subtle doubts by including "(apparently)", as an after thought. I prefer to be explicit.

Jun 26, 2015 at 05:37 PM
Mike Eckstein
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 500f4 v1 prices

I think the 150-600 zoom trumps IQ that is very close. Since I got my Sigma 150 - 600C, I find I am leaving my "L" glass home. Here's a 100% crop at 600mm.

http://www.meckstein.com/post/card100.jpg

Jun 26, 2015 at 06:01 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 500f4 v1 prices

FWIW, I know someone* who sold a mint 500 f4 IS locally a few days ago for about USD 4800ish. But then, our local market is so small and can wildly swing both ways, surely not representative of international market dynamics.

(*I was the seller. )

Jun 26, 2015 at 06:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 500f4 v1 prices

johnvanr wrote:

I think what's holding version I down is the fact that version II is so much lighter and that version I is too heavy to hand hold (apparently). So, even though I want 500mm I completely ignore version I, since I might as well buy a used 600mm if I have
...Show more

The weight difference is noticeable, but it's only 1.5 lbs. Mainly the 500/4 IS II is hand-holdable longer than the f/4 IS. If you can't hand hold the 500/4 IS much at all, don't expect the 500/4 IS II to be easy to hand hold. Neither lens is ideal for long periods.

EBH

Jun 26, 2015 at 06:21 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 500f4 v1 prices

I have been struggling with what to do with my 500 as well.

I moved to LA in April and since that time my photographic output has plummeted (its actually VERY depressing). Escaping the endless sub-urban sprawl for a few hours at a time has proven near impossible. Everywhere I go around metro-LA is either overrun with people or fenced off so that people won't over run it. I cannot get low at any of my waterbird areas because of the rules (which I understand and won't break); Everything must be done from the raised boardwalks or high dikes. As I have resorted to doing mostly flight work, the 500 has become unwieldy and I find myself more frequently reaching for my 400/5.6. I have to drive EVERYWHERE, and I usually have to pay some large sum to park once I get there. Sorry, I am just venting a bit. For those that are curious, we moved here since my GFs mother is sick. We live in a nice Apt but have no grounds of our own. I would much prefer somewhere less sprawling (I loved Boston and how easy it was to escape the city) or even more rural altogether.

As a result of this frustration, and I cannot believe I am saying this, I am starting to think about unloading my 500 and not replacing it with anything. I'd save/invest the money and just live with the 400 for the time being. I cannot justify buying either of the other lenses I want (400 DO II and 600 II) given how little shooting I will probably be doing in the next 2 years. I am starting to think I may as well recover what money I can for the lens, save money by not driving around, work on my book instead, move out of of here in a few years, and go all-in on gear when I get into a more photographically friendly setting. I just keep seeing the prices on used 500s falling while mine collects dust. Maybe this is all a bit reactionary as I adjust to my new setting, who knows. Its only been 3 months.

Any advice/suggestions is welcome, thanks.

Jun 26, 2015 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.