Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New Here

jonmac

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Here

I am a relatively new member here but not new to the site. I discovered it about a year ago and frequently browse the forums because of the overall excellent quality of the images posted. I especially enjoy the wildlife forum and have been working at getting the best images possible with the equipment at hand. I have two camera bodies. . . a T4i that I bought new a couple of years ago and a recently acquired Canon 7D. My lenses include the 18-135 IS/STM and a 70-200mm F/4 non-IS that I bought last year. I am hoping to add a Canon 200mm F/2.8 and an extender to my lens collection next year but for now I just work at getting as close to the birds as possible and doing the rest in post processing.

Here are a few recent images. . . I look forward to some constructive feedback along with any advice of getting the most out of my current set-up. Hope this is the appropriate forum to post this. Thanks for looking.

JMacLean_JPEG_IMAGES-50.jpg by John MacLean, on Flickr

JMacLean_JPEG_IMAGES-15.jpg by John MacLean, on Flickr

JMacLean_JPEG_IMAGES-13.jpg by John MacLean, on Flickr

JMacLean_JPEG_IMAGES-10.jpg by John MacLean, on Flickr

JMacLean_JPEG_IMAGES-27.jpg by John MacLean, on Flickr

Jun 25, 2015 at 08:56 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Here

Welcome to N&W. 200mm eh? Your better than me!!

Charles

Jun 25, 2015 at 09:07 PM
jonmac

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Here

Thanks for the welcome. Many of the images in this forum leave me with a sense of awe. I know 200mm is seriously limited even with a 2x converter but don't have deep enough pockets for the more popular longer lenses here. I am just enjoying striving for personal bests with the gear I can afford. I am actually enjoying the challenge of getting up close with the birds in my area.

Jun 25, 2015 at 09:25 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Here

Welcome. Getting close is better than any $13,000 lens, trust me. You've already nailed the hardest subject there is: swallow in flight.

As for critique: The first three may have a bit too much NR applied, they look very smoothed over. This is in stark contrast to the 4th image that appears very noisy in the background but does appear sharper. I would like to see the images posted a bit bigger 1000-1200 on the long edge is always nice.

Otherwise keep posting, looking forward to see more. For the future, I would strongly consider a 400 f/5.6 lens or the new Sigma 150-600C as possible long lens upgrades. The new Sigma is the best bargain out there and is a phenomenal lens to get you out to 600mm for $1000.

Jun 25, 2015 at 09:41 PM
jonmac

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Here

arbitrage wrote:
Welcome. Getting close is better than any $13,000 lens, trust me. You've already nailed the hardest subject there is: swallow in flight.

As for critique: The first three may have a bit too much NR applied, they look very smoothed over. This is in stark contrast to the 4th image that appears very noisy in the background but does appear sharper. I would like to see the images posted a bit bigger 1000-1200 on the long edge is always nice.

Otherwise keep posting, looking forward to see more. For the future, I would strongly consider a 400 f/5.6 lens or the
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback. I am also trying to get a handle on the noise reduction feature in Lightroom 5.6. The swallows were shot in the early evening and I was trying to keep the shutter speeds as high as possible while restricting the ISO to 1600 on the 7D. I was just happy to be able to get them in the frame even though I was disappointed with the lack of detail in the final image. . . It was my second time out with the camera and my second attempt at shooting these little missiles so the learning curve is still pretty steep with equipment, software and subject.I have lots to learn. The great thing is that I have been following a number of threads on this forum and POTN and have been trying to implement something new each week.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:16 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Here

Welcome ! Nice first post especially the swallows , not easily done.
Look forward to more.

Birdie

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:38 AM
HaJa
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Here

Welcome from other rookie

I have 7D, 200 2,8, 300 4,0, Kenko 1,4x extender. If I was to start again for birds in flight, I would get 400 5,6 as mentioned earlier posts. 200 is a fine lens and Kenko extender works with it, but I think 200 and any extender, is not a solution for what you do.

For NR/S, I do not declare a war here, you can get as good result with Lightroom as with anything, it would just look different and it will be laborious. I have found green to be really difficult for Lightroom. Capture one might be the easiest. I am using NIK default settings and sometimes some extra work with difficult RAWs. If you need to crop 7D files a lot you are out of luck. Try clarity slider too in any program, use it last.

My pictures are mainly butterflies in the summer and birds in the winter. So far I only make year books and prints, don't know how to upload to internet and do not prefer to present my photos on screen. Pc is only my darkroom

This is where my learning curve status is

Jarmo

Jun 26, 2015 at 04:27 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Here

Welcome, and great shots with one of my favorite subjects the swallow. The 70-200 F4 is a great lens, I've used mine a long time, and it can be scary sharp. For birds in flight, try and make sure to lock on using only that center focus point< I'm still learning and thought all points locked on, but it doesn't work that way.
The 7D is a great camera, just make sure to get all the light you can on the subject.
This is a great place to learn, I've been here quite awhile, and almost learn something new every day.
Shoot as much as you can ,whenever you can, and don't be afraid to try different things
Best of luck, and keep trying !

Jun 26, 2015 at 08:44 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Here

Welcome to FM. This is a nice set and you did will with the limited focal length. I agree with Geoff, 200mm will disappoint you more times than not. I agree with his recommendations for lenses and suggest you also look at the used market where you can get some bargains. The 150-600 zooms by Tamron and Sigma have made long lenses affordable and it is a delight to have this much reach. Please avoid buying twice, save and get what will work

Morris

Jun 26, 2015 at 08:54 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Here

Welcome John - you are off to a nice start. To get sharper subjects, try "selecting" the subject to sharpen just that. You can then "invert" the selection and apply noise reduction to the rest of the shot ~ Ron

Jun 26, 2015 at 09:05 AM
jonmac

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Here

Bsmooth wrote:
Welcome, and great shots with one of my favorite subjects the swallow. The 70-200 F4 is a great lens, I've used mine a long time, and it can be scary sharp. For birds in flight, try and make sure to lock on using only that center focus point< I'm still learning and thought all points locked on, but it doesn't work that way.
The 7D is a great camera, just make sure to get all the light you can on the subject.
This is a great place to learn, I've been here quite awhile, and almost learn something new every
...Show more

Thanks for the encouragement. Yep. I tried valiantly to lock on the centre focus point but the erratic flight of the swallows makes it so much more challenging to do that. Hoping that using the 7D settings will become second nature to me over time.

JMacLean_JPEG_IMAGES-39.jpg by John MacLean, on Flickr

And I make it a point to be out shooting at least two to three hours per week. I am trying to use the back button focus but I am not clear if I have to hold it down all the time once I have the flying subject in focus or just initially.

Unfortunately I am having to rely on a lot of heavy cropping to fill the frame and am wondering if that accounts for a significant loss of detail that I would otherwise see with birds in flight on this forum. As far as the amount of light is concerned I have only tried to capture the swallows on a cloudless morning or late afternoon.

Jun 26, 2015 at 01:39 PM
jonmac

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Here

morris wrote:
Welcome to FM. This is a nice set and you did will with the limited focal length. I agree with Geoff, 200mm will disappoint you more times than not. I agree with his recommendations for lenses and suggest you also look at the used market where you can get some bargains. The 150-600 zooms by Tamron and Sigma have made long lenses affordable and it is a delight to have this much reach. Please avoid buying twice, save and get what will work

Morris

Thanks, Morris. I will try to avoid buying twice. I have looked closely at the Tamron and Sigma and my wait until I can afford to pull the trigger on used one.

Jun 26, 2015 at 01:45 PM
jonmac

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Here

HaJa wrote:
Welcome from other rookie

I have 7D, 200 2,8, 300 4,0, Kenko 1,4x extender. If I was to start again for birds in flight, I would get 400 5,6 as mentioned earlier posts. 200 is a fine lens and Kenko extender works with it, but I think 200 and any extender, is not a solution for what you do.

For NR/S, I do not declare a war here, you can get as good result with Lightroom as with anything, it would just look different and it will be laborious. I have found green to be really difficult for Lightroom. Capture one might
...Show more

Thanks for the input. Lightroom is the only software I have used since getting into digital two years ago so am not familiar with others. And I have only recently been experimenting with the noise reduction feature.

Jun 26, 2015 at 01:52 PM
jonmac

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Here

surfnron wrote:
Welcome John - you are off to a nice start. To get sharper subjects, try "selecting" the subject to sharpen just that. You can then "invert" the selection and apply noise reduction to the rest of the shot ~ Ron

Thanks, Ron. Is that possible in Lightroom?

Jun 26, 2015 at 01:59 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Here

Welcome to the forum. The best thing about starting with shorter focal lengths is that it builds your skill set. I believe that knowing the species you are trying to capture and how to get close will always make you a better photographer and will benefit you later when you are able to add longer lenses.

Jun 26, 2015 at 09:34 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Here

Welcome to the N&W forum John

You really did well to get these speedy subjects in flight! Keep up the great efforts, as you find ways to get closer and can reduce the amount of cropping up your files will continue to get better looking for presentation

Colors and exposure do look nice, keep at it and have fun.
Karl

Jun 26, 2015 at 09:43 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.