New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

mendo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

Took my Epson 3880 out the box after a year and one half. Did a nozzle check and head alignment and everything appeared to be okay.

Went to print a sunny afternoon pic of the golden gate bridge and the colors do not all render the right way. The picture looks like a badly done HDR. Checked my settings and printed it again three different times with the same result.

Does this mean that I need to get new cartridges because the colors have failed? They are well past the date printed on the cartridges.

Jun 25, 2015 at 08:04 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

The colors won't fail for a long time. The pigments may settle, if you didn't agitate the cartridges.

It is more likely your workflow, or your image. What image from what app using what workflow, with what color space?

Have you tried printing a standard printer evaluation test image, such as:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

or http://www.digitaldog.net/tips/index.shtml.

or one of the many on Keith Cooper's site: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/test_images.html

It would help rule your image in or out as a problem.

Brian A

Jun 25, 2015 at 09:31 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

Are you letting PS manage colors or the printer manager colors?

Jun 25, 2015 at 09:42 PM
mendo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

letting printer manage colors. agitated ink carts before I started.

It looks like it is not printing gray or one of the blacks in the photo (shadows)

Does this sound like I should try to clean the print head and the nozzles?

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:00 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

mendo wrote:
letting printer manage colors. agitated ink carts before I started.

It looks like it is not printing gray or one of the blacks in the photo (shadows)

Does this sound like I should try to clean the print head and the nozzles?

Not if the manual nozzle check pattern is good. It is good right? There are no missing colors, all eight art showing up and there are no missing lines?

Brian A

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:06 PM
mendo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

your suggestion was a great one!

This forum never lets me down.

i downloaded the test image and printed. it came out normal. looks like there is something wrong with my settings.

Thanks for saving me many hours of pain and aggravation.

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:14 PM
mendo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

Looks like the filters are not working. I originally worked up this file with NIK filters and recently upgraded my OS to Yosemite. The areas in the photo that are printing incorrectly are where the NIK filters are. There must be some incompatibility. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:32 PM
atwl77
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

mendo wrote:
Looks like the filters are not working. I originally worked up this file with NIK filters and recently upgraded my OS to Yosemite. The areas in the photo that are printing incorrectly are where the NIK filters are. There must be some incompatibility. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't understand... are your filters directly interfacing with the print interface?

Or what I think you are saying is that your filters are utilising certain colours that come out wrong in the print? In that case, I suspect it would be a colour space conflict (perhaps even double-profiling) then?

If that is truly the case, make sure you know what colour space your image is in (aRGB or sRGB, probably). Then instead of letting the printer manage colours, try turning that off and let Photoshop manage colours instead. Also ensure that you use the correct ICC profile for the paper in Photoshop's print dialog. See if that is any better?

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:37 PM
mendo
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

There is something wrong with the way that photoshop is sending the color information to the printer. I have tried different papers with different profiles and the same thing happens each time there is color information that is left out and areas of the photo do not get printed. The weird thing is the test print that i downloaded printed normally. Since i just updated to Yosemite and upgraded the Epson driver i am thinking there maybe is something incompatible with Adobe. The weird thing is that i upgraded my older computer to snow leopard and it does the same thing so it is not just Yosemite

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:11 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Problem with EPSON 3880 print colors not rendering correctly

remove the driver and reinstall this way..........

remove printer from printer pref
go to /Library/Printers and trash the EPSON folder
reboot
reinstall driver 9.33
add the printer back in

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:44 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.