davidearls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My latest sun is sinking fast

My race is nearly run;
My strongest trials now are past,
My triumph is begun.

- Jefferson Hascall, 1860

Beautiful old American hymn which captures perfectly where our coneflower is. Color is faded, petals tattered and spotted. The seedhead proud and tall.

Sony a7r, Olympus 135 f4.5 @f45, in full sun, diffuser, bellows, ISO50, 1/125", full frame

© davidearls 2015

Edited on Jun 25, 2015 at 02:51 PM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2015 at 01:11 PM
Photo Scout
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Interesting study of the coneflower. Your photo shows the detail in the petals very well

Jun 25, 2015 at 01:38 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Well done David. I do really like these seed heads ~ Ron

Jun 25, 2015 at 03:46 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Great series and shot David. Love the quote.

Birdie

Jun 25, 2015 at 04:42 PM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Thanks everyone. Ron, I'm only worried about you if you're counting the seeds now...

No small part of this shot is its "manufactured bokeh." Normally at f45, everything in sight is in deep focus. No PP blurring here. So how do you get bokeh at f45? You put the lens on a bellows and extend it from the camera focal plane. In this case, the bellows is extended 95mm, so we have literally destroyed infinity focus.

This is why old gear is important. There is no bellows for Canon EF mount. The old guys/girls still have some skills the whippersnappers don't have.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:05 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Fine techs on this one, David
Socrate

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:10 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Love the comp, texture and detail. TFS

-Tree

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:21 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My latest sun is sinking fast

davidearls wrote:
Thanks everyone. Ron, I'm only worried about you if you're counting the seeds now...

No small part of this shot is its "manufactured bokeh." Normally at f45, everything in sight is in deep focus. No PP blurring here. So how do you get bokeh at f45? You put the lens on a bellows and extend it from the camera focal plane. In this case, the bellows is extended 95mm, so we have literally destroyed infinity focus.

This is why old gear is important. There is no bellows for Canon EF mount. The old guys/girls still have some skills the whippersnappers don't
...Show more

I had a Nikon bellows years ago, but it was in the bag with all my Nikon gear when it was stolen in the late 70's.

I do wish I had bellows now... ~ R

BTW - why is it bellow s and not bellow - there's only one...

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:36 AM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My latest sun is sinking fast

>>I had a Nikon bellows years ago, but it was in the bag with all my Nikon gear when it was stolen in the late 70's.

>> I do wish I had bellows now... ~ R

Ron,

You can get old bellows pretty easily and inexpensively at KEH - Olympus OM mount, Leica R mount, Contax/Yashica mount, and there are adapters for all three to Canon EF bayonet mounts. Used legacy glass to mount on these is also very affordable (no electronics).

In fact, here's a deal. Since I've gone completely mirrorless and no longer shoot with Canon bodies, get yourself a bellows - whichever brand you like - and I'll send you an EF adapter for it. No charge. Absolutely free.

Jun 26, 2015 at 02:15 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Nice shot David! As a "newer tech" guy, I wonder if an extender does the same thing as a bellows, which is move the back of the lens further from the focal plane, thus reducing the focal depth....? OR is it the ability to shift the bellows laterally that make it more useful for this kind of shot? Please forgive my ignorance. When I think of bellows, I think of large format cameras....

Jun 26, 2015 at 03:11 PM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Greg,

Extension tubes and bellows work on exactly the same principle - moving the lens away from the focal plane - but with two big differences. First off, tubes are solid and you're limited to specific lengths like 7, 12, 20, 25 etc lengths. Bellows are soft and can be extended to any length, so extending or withdrawing is part of getting precise focus. Second, rarely do you use tubes to extend as much as you can with a bellows. In this shot, the bellows were extended 95mm You'd need quite a collection of tubes to get to 95mm.

Bellows photography is a lot of fun -

Jun 26, 2015 at 04:08 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Thanx David. If I decide to get a bellows, I'll let you know ~ Ron

Jun 26, 2015 at 06:37 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Cool. Thanks for dropping that knowledge on me David, I'll look into it!

davidearls wrote:
Greg,

Extension tubes and bellows work on exactly the same principle - moving the lens away from the focal plane - but with two big differences. First off, tubes are solid and you're limited to specific lengths like 7, 12, 20, 25 etc lengths. Bellows are soft and can be extended to any length, so extending or withdrawing is part of getting precise focus. Second, rarely do you use tubes to extend as much as you can with a bellows. In this shot, the bellows were extended 95mm You'd need quite a collection of tubes to get to 95mm.

Bellows photography is
...Show more

Jun 26, 2015 at 07:05 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My latest sun is sinking fast

Interesting analogy with the song. Nice capture of an often overlooked gem.

Jun 26, 2015 at 09:24 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.