1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2015 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

rprouty wrote:
old man Kathy and I are good friends so how about staying out of our conversations...

Well since you don't mind tainting your friend's thread with your continued personal bickering, let me try to enlighten you OLD MAN.

First, try to improve your grammar so that others know what you are talking about. I was under the impression that Kathy is not an old man.

Secondly, this thread is on an open forum and is not your private conversation. Besides yourself, 8 others were having a discussion with the OP before you butted in with your rprouty wrote:
Don't worry about the remarks from some self-identified ex-spurts...

Why don't you quote these remarks that the OP should not be worrying about? I seem to have missed them. If you want to make insinuations, back them up.

My apologies to Kathy for these back & forth jabs, but anyone making insinuations against other members, should expect an appropriate response.

Lastly, old man, if you wish to have a private conversation with another member, there is a feature called PM.

Jun 27, 2015 at 09:42 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

Me too. I was pretty sorry I sold my 7D but after Canon dialled in my 7D2 I have been very impressed with zone AF. I had a lot of fun a few weeks ago. I tried Case 1, 2, 5 and 6 and shot in single, expanded and zone 65 point.

I was very surprised how well zone isolated BIF, in all tried cases. If I need to get the shot I will go back to single or expanded. I may change my tune over time just do to how well zone performed.

Jun 27, 2015 at 09:53 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

I know this is an old thread but just wondering how you are going with then 7DII these days Kathy.? I am still reasonably happy with mine, used mainly for birding wildlife and the 5DIII for the other stuff, the only issue I have is not so great on overcast cloudy days with the tamron 150-600 on it, pretty much used with that lens most of the time

Jul 11, 2015 at 01:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

aladyforty wrote:
the only issue I have is not so great on overcast cloudy days with the tamron 150-600 on it,

In what regard? Can you elaborate a bit?

Is that AF performance, or image quality that is taking the hit?

My guess is that your reduction in lighting contrast is putting your shooting aperture @ WO and the loss of contrast in your lighting is being reflected in your image along with WO likely being a bit soft (that's the glass, not the camera) for a "double whammy" at contrast reduction.

While you can't change the contrast of your lighting on those days (unless you augment it with flash / reflector), you can change your ISO so that you keep your lens stopped down (not @ WO) and only get a "single whammy" in contrast reduction.

Just a guess.

Jul 11, 2015 at 09:36 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

Im just fussy about the way the images look, they appear flat, I do realise its more about the lens

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

aladyforty wrote:
Im just fussy about the way the images look, they appear flat, I do realise its more about the lens

I think the 5DIII AF is better with the Sigma Contemporary too. I know many use it together, and I do too but on the 7DII I prefer the 300 2.8 II with the 2CXIII or the Canon 100 400 II with the 1.4 III. I don't think the pics are flat though, (see one below) and yes, I'm still liking it, I only use it for sports and wildlife. For other things I prefer the 5DIII.

I keep seeing pics taken with the 7DII and Sigma C and thinking I need to try it some more and maybe see if I'm doing something wrong.

Jul 17, 2015 at 01:30 AM
Shield
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

timgangloff wrote:
My first 7d2 was a dud-got it right after it became available. I think about trying another to see if I get a better one. I'm happy that you like your 7d2 now, but these images should be able to be captured by just about any decent DSLR, especially with that nice lens on it. The "action" looks minimal in these images, so I would hope that the 7d2 could nail these 95% of the time. I guess that might come off as a bit snarky, but what I'd really like to see is the 7d2 performing with some more
...Show more

I was thinking the same thing - my old 1dIV is easily as good as the 7d2 imaging/low light wise from everything I've seen, and the sensor is the perfect 1.3x APS-H. AF system is obviously much more dated and no 60p/AF video, but as far as 1d's go the IV is my 3rd fav (behind the 1dc/1dx).

Jul 17, 2015 at 06:23 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

Shield wrote:
I was thinking the same thing - my old 1dIV is easily as good as the 7d2 imaging/low light wise from everything I've seen, and the sensor is the perfect 1.3x APS-H. AF system is obviously much more dated and no 60p/AF video, but as far as 1d's go the IV is my 3rd fav (behind the 1dc/1dx).

I loved my 1DIV but IMO with the 7DII you get a smaller lighter body, which I prefer, updated features, more mp, 1.6 instead of 1.3 and all that with about the same IQ and just marginally worse noise. That is a win for me. So sorry, as good as the 1DIV is, I am still happy with my switch.

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:31 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

Good stuff Kathy, a nice combo looks to be working for you. I just got a 100-400II thinking about a 7DII just for fun stuff...

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

sivrajbm wrote:
Good stuff Kathy, a nice combo looks to be working for you. I just got a 100-400II thinking about a 7DII just for fun stuff...

Thanks Jarvis. Be happy to let you try mine some time when I'm in KC which is fairly often.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:45 AM
mfrank999
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

I too am getting to really like my 7DII

Jul 17, 2015 at 04:34 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

Kathy White wrote:
Thanks Jarvis. Be happy to let you try mine some time when I'm in KC which is fairly often.

Okay sounds good to me Kathy...!!!

Jul 18, 2015 at 08:41 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

The 7D2 continues to impress me each day. I had a brain fart yesterday with a 100-400 attached. I was trying to make a selection with AF points and the camera wasn't co-operating (I thought). Until I remembered that the selectable AF points greatly depend on the lens used.

I think if Canon wanted to, they could design a camera with the best DR on the planet. About 15 years ago one of the camera companies designed a sensor with two sensor wells for each pixel on the grid, one tuned for lower light levels and one for higher. This dual pixel technology could be used in this fashion for DR instead of for AF purposes. But I'll bet Canon already thought of this and couldn't find a marketing case to design such a beast.

Anyways, I'm still learning how to best use the 7D2. I really wish canon shipped the camera with three printed manuals.... The full user manual and AF settings guide and the smaller user manual.

I hate having to read on my computer, notebook, or iPad. I'm going to see if I can get them printed in booklet form at Staples today.

The 7D2 is one of the nicest cams I've owned. Can't wait for the next leap in technology.....

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:26 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

I'm really considering buying one to accompany the 5D3. I have a 70D and while it is a good camera, for my intended purpose, the AF system of the 7D2 would be a major improvement (I think) in terms of birding action. Low light shooting too, though I prefer the 5 for that.

I appreciate reading what real-world experiences people are having.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM
nvrupnvrin
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

Cicopo wrote:
I've shot 5 radio control events so fat this season with an important one coming up on the July 4th weekend. So far most were shot with just the 7D2 and I'm quite happy with the results but need to master the AF choices when planes are landing. The AF will often switch from the plane to the grass etc but I'll figure that out. My 1D4 was used at the last event but simply to decide on which lens will be used on which body for the big event. I could easily see me adding another 7D2 to my
...Show more

Awesome shot !

Jul 24, 2015 at 07:33 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

Thank you. To date the 7D2 has performed fantastic at the events & I've programmed it to use the expanded center point for landings or other times I'm worried the AF will switch to something else when there's a busy background. All I need to do in those instances is press & hold the AF On button & when I release that it's back to all points.

Jul 25, 2015 at 07:39 AM
mfrank999
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

I have the 7DII.
What do you mean by "press & hold the AF On button & when I release that it's back to all points."

Jul 25, 2015 at 07:52 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

mfrank999 wrote:
I have the 7DII.
What do you mean by "press & hold the AF On button & when I release that it's back to all points."

What he means is that he is leaving the main AF setting as 65 pt all point selection and is programming the AF-ON button to be an expansion mode via the Custom Controls menu. As long as you are holding down the Af-ON for back button focusing the camera will use the expansion mode he has selected in the menu. If he uses just the shutter button it will use the main camera setting he has set to 65 all point mode. Or possibly he has the second back button (*) set to 65 and then whichever button you use will have a different AF mode. With the 7D2 you can set it up to have 3 different modes (2 on the back buttons and 1 on the shutter button). The shutter button will be your main camera setting as you can't customize it like the two back buttons.

You can even have one button be in one shot and another be in servo and can have each button have a different AF Case set. You can even have each button use a different f-stop, SS and ISO.

Jul 25, 2015 at 08:02 AM
mfrank999
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

Thanks for the info.
I will try fooling around with this.
I shoot mainly BIF. I presume this would be good for it.

Jul 25, 2015 at 08:04 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · No Regrets I love the 7DII

mfrank999 wrote:
Thanks for the info.
I will try fooling around with this.
I shoot mainly BIF. I presume this would be good for it.

A bit more info...there are two different ways within the custom controls menu to set up the buttons. You can either select "Metering and AF start" for the back button and then press "INFO" and it brings up the customizing menu. Or if you want the option to change the SS, f-stop and ISO you instead select the "Register/recall shooting fun" (looks like a camera with two arrows) and that allows for changes to those variable but make sure to select the last item on the list "AF operation" to allow it to AF with the button push (basically saying you want to use it as a back button focus).

It is very useful. I've used it to have two back buttons, one set up with a higher SS for flight shots as an eagle flies towards the nest and the other for a slower SS but lower ISO for shooting the eagles on the nest. Mostly I use it for just having two different AF modes like Zone on one and Expansion on the other so I can instantly switch once I've built up the muscle/mind memory of what does what. You can even leave the shutter button on ONe-Shot AF and then it will use One-shot when you use just the shutter but if you hold down he back button it can do Servo (however if set like that you can't use the back button to focus recompose as the shutter will refocus using one shot when you aren't holding the back button down).

Jul 25, 2015 at 08:09 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.