Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Milky Way self-portrait

cweb

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way self-portrait

A bit of solitude late at night on the beach. I was standing in the water, keeping still for a good 20 seconds. This is my first Milky Way photo with the Fuji system, and I'm a bit challenged on processing it because Lightroom kinda sucks for supporting Fuji's RAW files. I tried SilkyPix too which was way different. This lens is sweet, but I'm a little bummed that there's some coma in the top corners. Hard to see from afar.

http://web.smugmug.com/photos/i-g4MqVkg/4/X2/i-g4MqVkg-X2.jpg

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:10 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Milky Way self-portrait

Hey Chris,

That's a pretty nice selfie, the reflection of you is a cool twist. One of the issues with the Fuji is with the higher ISO the noise can just be too much. From the looks of it you lost some of the Milky Way detail from noise reduction. Still, overall it's a nice shot, perhaps pulling back on the midtones in the sky can help the Milky Way stand out a bit more as the sky seems a bit too bright. You can use Select Color Range in Photoshop to select the white areas (stars and Milky Way) and then use that as a layer mask to darken what wasn't selected (the sky). That will help keep the stars brighter while darkening the background sky.

Jim

Jun 25, 2015 at 01:26 AM
cweb

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Milky Way self-portrait

Thanks Jim that's a good suggestion. All of my Milky Way work has been in LR but I should give it a go in Photoshop too. I haven't been a fan of Milky Way photos where the sky looks too processed, too dark or colorful, so I was trying to keep the tones subdued but will give this another whirl.

Jun 25, 2015 at 04:33 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Milky Way self-portrait

Very nice image Chris

Morris

Jun 25, 2015 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.