FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

Hey guys, just an FYI: Be aware of this unusual scam running around... Below is something I received this afternoon and later on after texting back and fourth, I realized it was a scam.

The person said he/she was "hearing impaired" (ding, ding: no calls are accepted... half of the red flag went up). His next message was this:

"I want you to check if you have available weekends between July 4th-31st. If you have a date open i want you to work on the estimate cost for the 5 hours photo coverage from 11am-4pm, and 6-16x20 prints family photo portraits because we have 6 families coming together for the reunion event. The event will be held locally here in the state but i will give you the main address once i have the address from the event planner. I will cover the travel expenses if needed. and i hope you can handle this event. I'll make the full payment with my credit card to book the date also i will forward you the event venue once the event planner book the hall"

The BIG red flag went up when he sent me this:

"Thanks for your estimate i will need a Little favor from you and the reason i need this favor from you is because the event planner does not have the facility to charge credit cards at this moment am presently in the hospital for surgery that's why i want to make this surprise for my family so i will be glad if you can help me out with this favor,i want you to add an extra fee to the total cost and once the payment clear your bank i will give you the information for the planner so that they can get everything arranged for i should have done this my self but they doesn't accept credit card once you agreed this is the estimate for the event planner and i will be glad to tip you extra

Your service: $X,XXX (my quote)
Event planner: $1650
Tips & Gratuity : $200
3% CC Surcharge: $$$
end quote/

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:08 PM
amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

Send the contract, take the money, and call the bluff.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:17 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

I got this exact scam a month or two ago. Played with him for a good 3 days. It was entertaining! Because everyone plans a 6 family reunion around the photographer's schedule. !

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:36 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago
I messed with the dude really good. turns out he actually was from Nigeria. hahha

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:44 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

Red flags from the first sentence. I get these a couple times a month. I just ignore it.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:20 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

Woah, surprisingly I wasn't the only guy here. I wonder if there are professional photographers who actually fall for these scams?

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM
zalex8783

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

hahaha, i don't know where these guys are getting our numbers but I like to play their game once in a while otherwise i am ignoring them. the biggest red flags, no calls accepted, apparently he has ear surgery or something and can not use the phone. only credit card is another one and that i can not meet him. one time i got him so far that he actually texted me a credit card number which looked legit ...

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

I get these weekly. Glad to know I'm not alone. I am sure it is just people attempting to use stolen credit card numbers (http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2011/06/16/137181702/the-tuesday-podcast-inside-the-credit-card-black-market). If I had more time on my hands, I'd make a very specific and ridiculous contract and absurd rate.

The texts that I get are always middle-of-the-week family reunions with the location stated as "here in town."

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:17 AM
ataleahead

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding/Event photographers: SCAM

I've gotten these too. One of them got upset when I asked if he was going to pay me in USD or Nigerian Naira. Also I don't think he understood that Los Angeles and San Francisco are not the same place. Maybe states are smaller over there.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.