New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon 16mm - Too loose?

jmai86
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 16mm - Too loose?

Hello!
So I bought a Nikon 16mm 2.8D fisheye off eBay for a pretty good price ($550).
I just got it today and it appears in excellent shape, clean body and immaculate glass.
Took a few dozen test photos and they all check out from wide open to closed down, near and far distances. Sharp!

However, the first thing I noticed when I held the lens was how loose it was. Now, I'm not one of those neurotic guys that freak out about lens rattles - I know they are part of the design sometimes. But this rattle/looseness seems more severe than usual. I've never owned the lens before so I can't tell if it's normal...

It appears the focusing group has some play in all directions. I can even see the distance scale under the window move when I gently shake it or nudge the front group. More alarming though is, when I mount the lens on and gently touch the front group, the viewfinder VISIBLY moves ever so slightly.

Is this normal? I'm totally fine with leaving it as is if I know it's not going to degrade any further, as the pictures and autofocus is perfectly fine.

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2015 at 08:52 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 16mm - Too loose?

No not normal. Something sounds loose inside. I would send it back. $550 is also just an OK price for that lens so you would not be missing a deal.

Jun 24, 2015 at 09:00 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 16mm - Too loose?

+1 send it back

The 16mm fish has elements that are contained in one module, which is being held by the front retainer ring. Either this ring is loose or missing entirely. Put your finger on the front element and try moving it.. you should be able to screw it back on by just turning it clockwise.

Either way, I'd still return it.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:22 PM
jmai86
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 16mm - Too loose?

Thanks for the input!
Yeah all of the rattling with old lenses I'm used to, but movement even through viewfinder just seemed so wrong.

I'll file a dispute/return. Hopefully the seller is good about it. :/

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.