New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

paulrossjones

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

does anyone know of any other after market focusing screen manufacturers for focusing screen besides the place i usually buy from- http://www.focusingscreen.com

i can't see where you can remove the screen with the 5dsr though. there doesn't seem to be a clip.

i hope there is a way of doing this as i cannot see if an image is sharp through the viewfinder with the standard screen. i also have a very inaccurate view of the image when shooting with wide apertures on fast lenses (which is all i do).

paul

Jun 24, 2015 at 05:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

paulrossjones wrote:
i can't see where you can remove the screen with the 5dsr though. there doesn't seem to be a clip.

The official answer is on page 489 of the manual: "Focusing screen: Fixed"

paulrossjones wrote:
i also have a very inaccurate view of the image when shooting with wide apertures on fast lenses (which is all i do).

That's not all that I do, but I accept that I can't see the full shallow-DOF sweetness through the finder that f/1.2 and fast long lenses provide on my existing cameras,. LiveView, yes, otherwise, it's in PP.

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:05 PM
paulrossjones

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

yes, but the 5dmk3 was the same. thats why you needed to get a generic replacement screen.

i replaced the focusing screen on my mk3 myself- it was held by a clip. but the new camera doesn't. but I'm happy to pay for a tech to do this for me.

cheers paul

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

You can bet that the screen can be removed and replaced. It's a normal maintenance activity. Whether it can be easily or even successfully done at home is a different matter.

I expect the number of third party focus screen options available will depend to a large extent on how many 5DS/R cameras are sold. One will follow the other.

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:58 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

I believe that the screen in the 5DS and 5DS R, as well as the 7D2, are integrated with the LCD that displays all the optional information on the face of the image in the view finder, and that any attempt to change it will result in a royal mess. The 5D3 was different, and does not have all the info that can be displayed on the screen.

You are likely going to need to rely on live view for critical focus, and obviously that is not through the view finder, and does not work for action. The other way to proceed is to get very good at using auto focus, and knowing what points are controlling the lens, but that approach need a good autofocus lens, and trust that the camera and lens combination is all working right.

Jun 24, 2015 at 07:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

Roland W wrote:
I believe that the screen in the 5DS and 5DS R, as well as the 7D2, are integrated with the LCD that displays all the optional information on the face of the image in the view finder, ....

Good point, Roland. I'm intrigued by the electronic overlay on the OVF. Reminds me of my X100S.

Jun 24, 2015 at 07:06 PM
paulrossjones

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

Roland W wrote:
I believe that the screen in the 5DS and 5DS R, as well as the 7D2, are integrated with the LCD that displays all the optional information on the face of the image in the view finder, and that any attempt to change it will result in a royal mess. The 5D3 was different, and does not have all the info that can be displayed on the screen.

You are likely going to need to rely on live view for critical focus, and obviously that is not through the view finder, and does not work for action. The other
...Show more

i do use live view with static subjects, but using live view with moving lifestyle shots is a disaster. the standard focus with the canon is hit and miss with the canon (although a lot better than my d810), but still very inconstant. especially when shooting in darker conditions and back lit scenarios. but with the canon 5dmk3 and a fine cut screen i could see when the canon was nailing it or not- as its either very accurate or its out by a fair bit and telling lies that its locked on.

but i have lost this check with the 5dsr. and its not like i can check quickly on the back screen as it far too slow to show a pic when a decent amount of shots are shot. so it makes for slow shooting.
for ex, i shot a great moment the other day where everything was perfect for a few seconds- shot ten or so shots- every time with a single focus point exactly on the eyes of a girl in a group with the focus beep for every shot- and it missed focus every time for the whole ten shots! its was back lit, but everything looked sharp in the finder- but shot always look this way with the standard finder.

paul

Jun 24, 2015 at 08:12 PM
paulrossjones

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

jcolwell wrote:
You can bet that the screen can be removed and replaced. It's a normal maintenance activity. Whether it can be easily or even successfully done at home is a different matter.

I expect the number of third party focus screen options available will depend to a large extent on how many 5DS/R cameras are sold. One will follow the other.

yeah, i guess its a technicians job. but thats fine. i just need the screen replaced and more than happy to pay good money for this.

paul

Jun 24, 2015 at 08:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

paulrossjones wrote:
...for ex, i shot a great moment the other day where everything was perfect for a few seconds- shot ten or so shots- every time with a single focus point exactly on the eyes of a girl in a group with the focus beep for every shot- and it missed focus every time for the whole ten shots! its was back lit, but everything looked sharp in the finder- but shot always look this way with the standard finder.

Did you do AFMA tests ?

Jun 24, 2015 at 08:15 PM
paulrossjones

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · focusing screen replacement canon 5DSR

jcolwell wrote:
Did you do AFMA tests ?

yes i did. i alway do with with a new body.

the thing i found interesting is the slow focusing lenses like my 85mm f1.2 (and f1.0 50) the focus is more accurate more of the time. the lenses i had problems with are the faster ones- the 35 and 50mm sigma, ef 135 and the 200 f1.8.
i also have had the same issues with my 50mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4 canon lenses in the past- but i don't have these now as i replaced them with the better sigmas.

but its not really about the lenses, its about reliably shooting and seeing exactly what i get. the standard screens do allow this. honestly, at f1.2-1.8 what you see in camera is completely different to what you get on the sensor with the standard screen.

also, i have no idea how people with focus manual lenses with this screen as well (besides the focus dot confirmation)

paul

Jun 24, 2015 at 08:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.