New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · nikon system with Sigma 2x teleconverter - not working

kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · nikon system with Sigma 2x teleconverter - not working

For the first time, I pulled a Sigma APO TeleConverter 2x EX DG (donated to me a year or two back) off the shelf to try it with a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II.

Yikes. It will focus, then hunt constantly on AF-S or AF-C. It will lock focus briefly, then hunt a quickly over a short distance (not a full-focus-distance back-and-forth hunt, a slight out of focus hunt), then lock, etc. I'd guess that this cycle happens 2 or 3 times a second, it's quick.

That's with both a Nikon D3X and D7000. The same body/lens combo works fine with a Sigma 1.4x. Tried it with a 105mm f/2.8, same thing.

Sigma says "Unfortunately we do not test our converters with other manufacturers lenses, theoretically it should fit and function correctly unless Nikon has done something to the lens to prevent it."

I have cleaned contacts on the TC, lens, and bodies. Everything looks physically perfect. The TC works fine on a full-manual lens (it's sharp), and is okay if I manually focus with the 70-200mm (although that won't be a solution for tracking model aircraft in the sky).

Any suggestions? Anyone else using this combination with success?

Jun 24, 2015 at 02:26 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · nikon system with Sigma 2x teleconverter - not working

Not compatible

Jun 24, 2015 at 02:28 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · nikon system with Sigma 2x teleconverter - not working

Well, based on your knowledge, I'll take that as a given. Thanks for the info - so I can at least sell the TC in good conscience, just noting compatibility issues. Perhaps a Nikon 2x is in my future.

Short term, I might rent a 120-400mm f/5.6 from the local camera store. The model airshow is in only a few weeks

Jun 24, 2015 at 02:51 PM
gugs
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · nikon system with Sigma 2x teleconverter - not working

I own the Sigma converters as well as the Nikon converters and they all work with a limited range of lenses of the same manufacturer, usually the fastest and most expensive long lenses. I never could use a Sigma converter with anything else than a few specific Sigma lenses and the Nikkors only work with the long 2.8 lenses and a few 4.0 lenses.

Guy

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:09 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · nikon system with Sigma 2x teleconverter - not working

kaplah wrote:
Well, based on your knowledge, I'll take that as a given. Thanks for the info - so I can at least sell the TC in good conscience, just noting compatibility issues. Perhaps a Nikon 2x is in my future.

Short term, I might rent a 120-400mm f/5.6 from the local camera store. The model airshow is in only a few weeks

You bet. I think you'd be happier renting the Nikkor 80-400G...AF and IQ.

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:21 PM
ahamp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · nikon system with Sigma 2x teleconverter - not working

Years ago when I bought my first 70-200VR I I found it did not play well with other manufacturers' TCs. Just use a Nikon one or connect with the 80-400 as Will suggests.

Jun 24, 2015 at 04:31 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · nikon system with Sigma 2x teleconverter - not working

gugs wrote:
I own the Sigma converters as well as the Nikon converters and they all work with a limited range of lenses of the same manufacturer, usually the fastest and most expensive long lenses. I never could use a Sigma converter with anything else than a few specific Sigma lenses and the Nikkors only work with the long 2.8 lenses and a few 4.0 lenses.

Guy

---------------------------------------------

ahamp wrote:
Years ago when I bought my first 70-200VR I I found it did not play well with other manufacturers' TCs. Just use a Nikon one or connect with the 80-400 as Will suggests.

Gentlemen, thanks for the additional confirmation. I'll keep my eye out for a NIkon.

---------------------------------------------

trenchmonkey wrote:
You bet. I think you'd be happier renting the Nikkor 80-400G...AF and IQ.

Appreciate the tip.

Jun 24, 2015 at 07:10 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · nikon system with Sigma 2x teleconverter - not working

For those who might be watching, I just acquired a Nikon TC-20E III. It focuses as quickly as the bare 70-200, and seems on first sight to be quite sharp. So, as everyone said, the issue was the Sigma compatibility.

Jun 28, 2015 at 09:23 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.