New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Noise removal

mfrank999
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Noise removal

What is the best noise removal programs?
I have a iMac and have the 7DII.

Jun 24, 2015 at 09:28 AM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Noise removal

I swear by Nik Collection's Dfine 2. Selective point noise removal is incredible.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:41 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Noise removal

Frank,
You're going to get about 300 absolute answers on this question One useful thing to know is what sort of things you generally shoot. I use different techniques depending on subject, available light, movement, exposure bracketing, etc.

You can do fairly good stuff in both Lr and Ps though I've never found either to be fine grained enough for my work. I at different times use Dfine - though it's "invisible" action leaves me guessing often. Topaz' DeNoise is probably my most used. Macphun has a new tool called "Noiseless." I've just started playing with it and don't have a solid feel for it.

Do note that noise and sharpening are connected at the hip and must be examined together. And finally just to make it truly wacko: what medium are you outputting too? Screen generally at 72 DPI always needs some. Printing varies by printer, paper, and desired effect. So in a nut shell, start trying things and find what works for you. I'm still always experimenting.

Robert

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM
NormanPCN
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Noise removal

"Best" is a subjective term but FWIW I think Topaz Denoise is as good as anything.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:50 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Noise removal

Another vote for Topaz DeNoise. Incredibly powerful and yet relatively inexpensive. And you get updates free. Watch their tutorials to get an idea of how it works and how to get the best results. Here is one such tutorial. http://blog.topazlabs.com/webinar/quickly-reduce-shadow-noise/

Jun 24, 2015 at 01:00 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Noise removal

mfrank999 wrote:
What is the best noise removal programs?
I have a iMac and have the 7DII.

I never had any need for any noise removal tools aside from those that a built in to Photoshop and the companion ACR.

There was a time quite a few years ago when the third-party noise removal tools were almost a necessity. I used several of them at that time. I stopped needing them several years ago.

I urge you to not invest in them until you have learned what you can do using the tools in the software you already have.

Dan

Jun 24, 2015 at 01:10 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Noise removal

I use NeatImage purely because it's the first I owned and I can call it up from within Photoshop

I would say though that I always use it on it's own layer in photoshop and paint in the bits I want noise removed from. Selective noise removal is far preferable to the blunderbuss of removing it from the whole shot IMHO

Jun 24, 2015 at 01:58 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Noise removal

I use Topaz for most, but will use Dfine for certain images.

Jun 24, 2015 at 01:59 PM
mfrank999
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Noise removal

I do a lot of BIF
I do use lightroom5
I am looking for removals on surrounding areas not on the subject.

Jun 24, 2015 at 02:40 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Noise removal

mfrank999 wrote:
I do a lot of BIF
I do use lightroom5
I am looking for removals on surrounding areas not on the subject.

Then you can easily use the good noise removal tools in LR and use a local adjustment brush to paint out the noise reduction on the bird

In LR6 you can copy the settings from the previous file (or paste them) and then move the painted out area around, which is very useful if you have more than one similar file

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:09 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Noise removal

Please define 'best.'

For me, the 'best' is the one currently installed on my computer and paid for years ago.

Neatimage has enough fine control to do a great job reducing film grain or any form of digital noise.

Jun 24, 2015 at 04:31 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Noise removal

Even Lr does a fairly good job if it used correctly.

Neat Image was I think the first NR program to use profiles for camera/ISO combinations so that it could be automated easily. And it had three levels of noise size that could be processed separately.

Some other software would let you process different brightness levels separately, so that shadow area noise reduction did not ruin well exposed middle tones.

To me "best" is Lr because it works with the other virtual edits on my raw files without requiring that I convert the raw file to a new RGB image file that takes up space and locks in other edits.

In Lr I crank the NR Level right up and then increase Detail setting until just below where unwanted artifacts appear in the otherwise horribly smoothed out image. Then I wind the NR Level down to whatever looks good enough.

Some images just can't be fixed completely but I'd rather have too much noise than plastic looking subjects, and too much noise on sharp subjects rather than less noise on subjects blurred by slow shutter speed. Since I started using auto-ISO with Manual exposure mode in my Nikon cameras I have fewer shots where I've accidentally left the ISO cranked up high together with an unnecessarily fast shutter speed to cause reduce dynamic range and excessive noise.

- Alan.

Jul 01, 2015 at 10:47 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Noise removal

I really like DeFine - works really well.

Jul 04, 2015 at 10:10 AM
mfrank999
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Noise removal

I have seen some articles on Macphun Denoise.
Has anyone had any experience on this product.
How does it compare to some of the other popular programs.

Jul 08, 2015 at 06:23 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.