Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

The more I shoot with my RX1, the more I love it. The dynamic range is insane, the sharpness is incredible, and the rendering of the lens is fantastic.

The camera is a perfect walk-around / travel camera, but there are many times that I want my favorite focal length, 50mm.

What camera/lens would get me as close as possible to the RX1's dynamic range, rendering, etc in a nice, small-ish package?

My 6D / Sigma 50/1.4 isn't quite cutting it in the dynamic range and size area I'm finding more and more. Great camera (and fantastic lens) but can't quite compare in those couple of areas.

I'm thinking it would have to be the A7/II/s/etc + Zeiss 55/1.8, but I'd love to hear some other options! I'd also love to have a true 50/1.4 if possible...

Jun 24, 2015 at 09:02 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

Yeah, I think you would want the A7 II with the Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8. It will be noticeably bigger, but way smaller than your 6D Sigma 50 f/1.4 kit and you get IBIS too. If you want a true 50, then try the Zeiss Loxia 50 f/2 with the A7 II, you might like the rendering better and it is a phenomenal lens. Yeah, you have to manual focus, but I doubt that would both you too much. The 50 f/2 can have a bit busy bokeh in some situations, but just the way 50mm lenses typically do.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:13 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

I wish they'd make more 50/1.4's, maybe even if they just reworked old designs (would like an af version of OM 50/1.4 for m4/3.)

Will an old Maxxum 1.4 work somehow? I guess that is only for dslr and would require an adapter?

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:50 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

Fuji XA-1 with the 35/1.4 would be my suggestion. A little less resolution and a smaller sensor, but both camera and lens are gems and the package will cost less than most 50/1.4's.

DR on the 16MP APS-C sensor is a little behind the 24MP FF sensor, but still notably better than any Canon sensor. No X-Trans issues either as it's Bayer.

Flip side would be the A6000 with the ZA FE 35/1.4, but that's seriously nose-heavy and twice the cost of the Fuji setup.

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:58 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

If your going as bnig as the 35mm 1.4 ZA, try the 50mm 1.4 ZA with the adapter. It is superb and smaller than the 35mm 1.4

http://jorgetorralba.com/2014/08/06/zeiss-55mm-1-8-fe-or-50mm-1-4-za-for-the-a7/

Jun 24, 2015 at 01:49 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

Patrick, you should check out a7II and ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 samples. It's not the sharpest fast fifty, but it is, in my opinion, the most fun to shoot.

Jun 24, 2015 at 02:07 PM
arize84
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

freaklikeme wrote:
Patrick, you should check out a7II and ZM Sonnar 50/1.5 samples. It's not the sharpest fast fifty, but it is, in my opinion, the most fun to shoot.

This is one of the best 50mm out there. It has amazing micro contrast and some of the most beautiful bokeh I have ever seen on any lens.

Jun 24, 2015 at 02:12 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

Steve Spencer wrote:
Yeah, I think you would want the A7 II with the Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8. It will be noticeably bigger, but way smaller than your 6D Sigma 50 f/1.4 kit and you get IBIS too. If you want a true 50, then try the Zeiss Loxia 50 f/2 with the A7 II, you might like the rendering better and it is a phenomenal lens. Yeah, you have to manual focus, but I doubt that would both you too much. The 50 f/2 can have a bit busy bokeh in some situations, but just the way 50mm lenses typically do.

I'd really want something faster than f/2, so the Sony might be the only option in that case, not the Loxia.

---------------------------------------------

AmbientMike wrote:
I wish they'd make more 50/1.4's, maybe even if they just reworked old designs (would like an af version of OM 50/1.4 for m4/3.)

Will an old Maxxum 1.4 work somehow? I guess that is only for dslr and would require an adapter?

Yeah, I wished they did that too!

mawz wrote:
Fuji XA-1 with the 35/1.4 would be my suggestion. A little less resolution and a smaller sensor, but both camera and lens are gems and the package will cost less than most 50/1.4's.

DR on the 16MP APS-C sensor is a little behind the 24MP FF sensor, but still notably better than any Canon sensor. No X-Trans issues either as it's Bayer.

Flip side would be the A6000 with the ZA FE 35/1.4, but that's seriously nose-heavy and twice the cost of the Fuji setup.

Interesting suggestion, but I'm hooked on full-frame now. Can't go back to crop

Jorge Torralba wrote:
If your going as bnig as the 35mm 1.4 ZA, try the 50mm 1.4 ZA with the adapter. It is superb and smaller than the 35mm 1.4

http://jorgetorralba.com/2014/08/06/zeiss-55mm-1-8-fe-or-50mm-1-4-za-for-the-a7/

Hmm, interesting. It'd still be a pretty big setup with the required adapter, yes?

freaklikeme wrote:

Now THAT's an interesting suggestion. I've always been interested by the C-Sonnar...images I've seen seem lovely. Downsides are: CA, long close focus distance, not AF?

arize84 wrote:
This is one of the best 50mm out there. It has amazing micro contrast and some of the most beautiful bokeh I have ever seen on any lens.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to check that out.

Doesn't a ZM 50 1.4 planar exist? Or is going to exist at some point?

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:09 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

weezintrumpete wrote:

Now THAT's an interesting suggestion. I've always been interested by the C-Sonnar...images I've seen seem lovely. Downsides are: CA, long close focus distance, not AF?

You can't do much about the CA and of course nothing about the AF, but you can get a helicoid adapter (Hawk's and Voigtlander are two popular ones) that will help and give it a decent close focus. Performance might deteriorate a little, but at least you will be able to shoot close up. If you want a 50 f/1.4 planar, then a good option is the C/Y version. I have one and even with the adapter it is no bigger than the FE 55 f/1.8 and the difference in weight is hardly noticeable. It has the same weaknesses (funky bokeh and lots of SA close up and wide open) and strengths (very nice bokeh at medium distances stopped down a bit and excellent sharpness and contrast stopped down) that it has on any FF camera.

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:19 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

weezintrumpete wrote:
The more I shoot with my RX1, the more I love it. The dynamic range is insane, the sharpness is incredible, and the rendering of the lens is fantastic.

The camera is a perfect walk-around / travel camera, but there are many times that I want my favorite focal length, 50mm.

What camera/lens would get me as close as possible to the RX1's dynamic range, rendering, etc in a nice, small-ish package?

My 6D / Sigma 50/1.4 isn't quite cutting it in the dynamic range and size area I'm finding more and more. Great camera (and fantastic lens) but can't quite compare in
...Show more

Sigma DP2M. It's not full frame, and the dynamic range is nothing special, but the lens is beyond ultra sharp and the lens/sensor combo has buckloads of micro contrast along with the sharpness. The camera is tiny and very light.

* by E_O_S, on Flickr

Kamakura Japan by E_O_S, on Flickr

Edited on Jun 24, 2015 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:30 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

arize84 wrote:

I also really like the ZM Sonnar C 50/1.5 on the A7s/A7II. I am pairing that with the 55/1.8 for coverage of that focal length, and selling a Cron-R 50/2 (the Sonnar for character, FE Zeiss for more clinical rendering though still pleasing to my eye with exception of bokeh at times). The microcontrast (presumably) on the ZM Sonnar makes it really easy to focus even without focus peaking or magnifying - I think I'm most accurate manually focusing with that lens. I'm tempted to try the Loxia 50/2, as I have the Loxia 35/2 and love the IQ (esp. at and above f/2.8) and it is a joy to use with the integrated MF focusing and EXIF. Most accounts from those who've had both say the 50/2 is better than the 35/2, so I'm really tempted to get one of the two on the FM boards right now.

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:30 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

weezintrumpete wrote:
Doesn't a ZM 50 1.4 planar exist? Or is going to exist at some point?

Nope, there's a ZM 50/2 Planar and that's the only one that's ever been hinted at. There is a ZE/ZF 50/1.4 Planar of course.

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:59 PM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

Interesting to read these comments about the Zeiss 50 C-Sonnar. It gets a bad press on the net because its rendering characteristics do not sit well with the tedious "sharp side to side, corner to corner" mentality of its critics. But this misses the point. It is dreamy, atmospheric, with plenty of sharpness centre stage and lovely, soft bokeh in the wings. Think smoky jazz clubs, Blue Angel, Third Man. It's a classic subdued light black and white lens but, for portraits in particular, works well in colour too. I love it on my A7.

Jun 24, 2015 at 03:59 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

A7 with canon 50mm 1.4 ltm

Tiny lens quite nice too. You can get that set up around 1k total

Jun 24, 2015 at 05:46 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

A7 with 55/1.8

Not significantly larger than the RX1, and an equally fantastic lens. You can get a 55/1.8 for around $750 used along with a A7 for around $750 used, so $1500 for the combo, which comes in right around the price of a used RX1

Also gain a tilting LCD, great EVF, wifi, pretty fast (compared to RX1) PDAF etc.

Great two camera combo (especially since the RX1 is a little wider than 35mm and the 55 is obviously a little longer than 50mm) with the RX1 being a single camera compact option, has a flash, silent shutter etc.

Very similar sensor and workflow as well.

Jun 24, 2015 at 05:57 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

Loxia is super fun.

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:00 PM
Audii-Dudii
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

Although I don't use focal lengths longer than 35mm very often, as a result of my experience using wide-angle lens converters on my pair of RX1s (specifically, the Ricoh GW-3 and modified Sony SEL075UWC), I've started researching teleconverters that will do the same thing, only the other way around ... stay tuned!

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:13 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

millsart wrote:
A7 with 55/1.8

Not significantly larger than the RX1, and an equally fantastic lens. You can get a 55/1.8 for around $750 used along with a A7 for around $750 used, so $1500 for the combo, which comes in right around the price of a used RX1

Also gain a tilting LCD, great EVF, wifi, pretty fast (compared to RX1) PDAF etc.

Great two camera combo (especially since the RX1 is a little wider than 35mm and the 55 is obviously a little longer than 50mm) with the RX1 being a single camera compact option, has a flash, silent shutter etc.

Very similar sensor
...Show more

I agree. The nice thing about the 35 on the RX 1 is that it's good for landscapes (sharp edge to edge) and has nice bokeh. Same is true of the 55/1.8 and the slightly longer focal length of the 55 is a better compliment to a 32-35mm lens than a true 50.

I just got back from traveling with my FE55 in together with a 35 and 90. That was all I needed.

Jun 24, 2015 at 06:19 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

Jeff Kott wrote:
The nice thing about the 35 on the RX 1 is that it's good for landscapes (sharp edge to edge) and has nice bokeh. Same is true of the 55/1.8 and the slightly longer focal length of the 55 is a better compliment to a 32-35mm lens than a true 50.

I just got back from traveling with my FE55 in together with a 35 and 90. That was all I needed.

The FE55/1.8 is a pretty complete package, like the Sonnar in the RX1. Of the small 50/1.4s I've tried, only the 50 Lux ASPH out-smooths it for background rendering while also being sharp across the frame (though it has a more noticeable mid zone dip than the 35 Sonnar (which is very, very mild)). The catch is that to fully realize the Lux's potential, you'll have to use it on an a7 with modded sensor and an adapter that is correctly shimmed for infinity focus. It's also an expensive lens. Rendering wise, the Voigtlander 50/1.5 is not far behind, though is no match for across-frame performance. The 50 Lux non-ASPH is probably in the ballpark, too, for rendering. The only lens I can think of that would better any of these for across-frame sharpness (other than your Sigma) is the 55/1.4 Otus. Not exactly small, nor inexpensive. Everything else I've tried from the 50mm rangefinder pool has been stronger in some areas, weaker in others, including the current and past Sonnars from Zeiss and Nikon. I haven't tried it, but the Canon FD 50/1.2L seems to be highly regarded, if you can find one.

The ZM50/1.5 is probably a good choice if you want a bit smoother, dreamier rendering (assuming suitable subject/background distances) with modern color vibrancy and can sacrifice across-frame sharpness.

Jun 24, 2015 at 07:15 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What's a 50/1.4 alternative to the Sony RX1?

weezintrumpete wrote:
[Now THAT's an interesting suggestion. I've always been interested by the C-Sonnar...images I've seen seem lovely. Downsides are: CA, long close focus distance, not AF?

I didn't really find the CA problematic. Fringing in OOF areas can get annoying, but it's hardly a unique sin for a fast normal, and the sum total of the draw has a unique beauty. Like Steve pointed out, a helicoid adapter will solve the close-focus problem, and the solid optical block design means IQ loss on the additional helicoid is minimal.

I wouldn't look at the lack of AF as a disadvantage. Think of it as a challenge to your hand-eye coordination or proving your dominance over your camera's fancy algorithms. Or do what I do and think of it as a game and the only way in which you score points is to get exactly what you wanted with exactly the depth of focus you wanted in the a frame that's exactly as you pictured it.

Jun 24, 2015 at 07:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.