Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Hiring Retouchers vs. Retouching Myself?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hiring Retouchers vs. Retouching Myself?

I shoot a bit of fashion and beauty personal work that I'd love to retouch, but I have picky tastes and know that it would take me quite a long time to mimic true high-end retouching.

So here's my question. What are the pros and cons of these three options, knowing that I don't have much spare time on my hands?

1) Hire a high-end retoucher and pay top dollar, but only for my best few prints

2) Get on Odesk or Elance and hire an overseas retoucher for much less

3) Try to learn it myself, taking up the time and likely with a lower quality result (but not costly)

Does anyone regularly hire a retoucher overseas for their work, or even someone in the states? If I was doing it with paid work I'd hire someone top notch in a heartbeat, but since it's just for fun, I can't throw much money at it.

Hopefully no one takes offense to the outsourcing concept with the above sites - I've done it here and there for small tasks and it's been great

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:23 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hiring Retouchers vs. Retouching Myself?

I've never dealt with someone retouching my shots, but here's my thoughts...

1. If you hired high-end/top dollar, the end results may not be up to your standards (we all interpret things differently) and you've lost money/time before finding someone with the same "eye" as you...if you find that person.

2. See #1, except those people probably wont understand you, unless you speak their language. Part of outsourcing over-seas to save money. Support your economy, choose #1 first

3. Bingo. End result will always be to your standard, and you dont have to worry about the hassle of payroll/language barriers. Practice makes perfect

Just my opinion....

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hiring Retouchers vs. Retouching Myself?

"Picky Tastes"

Spending $$ or $$$$$$ is secondary to finding the person who can accomplish to your tastes.

The cost of finding that person is in terms of time (finding the person that matches your "picky tastes" and/or $$$

The cost of creating that person (i.e. yourself), is in terms of time and/or $$$ (training courses, books, etc)

The trade-off of time vs. money will be weighted one way or the other, but in the end it think it important to concern yourself with the product (satisfaction), before the price.

I get your question @ time or money ... it is one that has been around for quite a while. The one thing I'd toss into the equation is the "investment" into yourself vs. the "investment" return you'll get for using someone else.

True Story ... vintner in small town gets visited by some folks from the Big City with really "Picky Tastes". They see the really low price on a bottle of Chambourcin and semi-snarkily ask "What's wrong with it?" The vintner replies "Nothing." Regionally, he is known to be a perfectionist. The visiting customers tried his Chambourcin and were most impressed, buying several bottles to take back with them.

Price is not always an indication of quality. Market forces (i.e. overhead, etc.) can can be just as much (or more) of that driver.

So otoh, if you have already found someone you like using (still @ product satisfaction comes first, imo) even if they aren't "high end" ... who are we to judge ... it's your image, it's your call.

Personally, I think it wise to invest in yourself ... but getting a little help along the way till you get to a level where you can satisfy your own "Picky Tastes would be my "long term plan".

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:17 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hiring Retouchers vs. Retouching Myself?

RustyBug wrote:
"Picky Tastes"

Spending $$ or $$$$$$ is secondary to finding the person who can accomplish to your tastes.

The cost of finding that person is in terms of time (finding the person that matches your "picky tastes" and/or $$$

The cost of creating that person (i.e. yourself), is in terms of time and/or $$$ (training courses, books, etc)

The trade-off of time vs. money will be weighted one way or the other, but in the end it think it important to concern yourself with the product (satisfaction), before the price.

I get your question @ time or money ... it is one that has been
...Show more

Well put Rusty.....I concur 110%

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:52 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hiring Retouchers vs. Retouching Myself?

Fashion retouching is pretty straight forward. Chris Orwig has a class(es) over on lynda.com that are easy to follow. The retouching is so integral to the final image that if you farm it out, you have given up your creative control. The reason that it is integral is because it can result in very significant changes to the image. Just learn the skill and have faith in yourself.

Jun 24, 2015 at 01:10 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.